Turn on thread page Beta

do you think the university would find out? watch

ReputationRep:
    well basically i've read that some universities (i.e. cambridge or imperial) want you to get the grades the first time round with no resits. I'm in my AS year and doing fast track maths ( get my A level mathematics in 1 year and then get a further mathematics A level next year) and i was wondering if i resit some of my maths modules to improve the grades would the universities ever find out? As when i apply in september 2010 i already would've completed my resits since maths resits are in june for fast track mathematics students as we did them in january.

Also is it true that i should be getting 90-95% plus for all my maths and science modules to stand a reasonable chance of doing Natural Sciences (physical) at cambridge? so if i got a low A in 1 module would it be worth doing a resit to get a higher mark?

ReputationRep:
    I have friends who got Bs in ASs and still got into Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    I did resits and got in ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    I have friends who got Bs in ASs and still got into Oxbridge.
    what was she studying? the requirements usually got harder or easier depending on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotheregostar)
    I did resits and got in ...
    congratz may i ask what subject it was for? and did the college know about the resit?

ReputationRep:
    I believe that although universities can see your AS results only Cambridge require you to tell them your module scores, so if you resit individual modules the universities do not know. I am also doing fast track maths and we are not cashing in any qualifications for it until the end of A2 and therefore could resit M2 (which I have just done and no doubt will be doing again) 3 more times and the universities would be none the wiser. Ask your teachers if you're cashing in maths this year or next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    what was she studying? the requirements usually got harder or easier depending on the subject.
    2 friends.
    AAABC for Natural sciences (physical) at Cambridge (C in Further maths mind you)
    AABB for Psychology at Oxford.
    AS grades btw.
    Also another of my friends got in with *gasp* a B in a module for English at Oxford.
    And aussi i'm resitting 2 modules and got into Imperial
    So really what i'm trying to say is that it's not just about grades...It's the personal statement and interview also.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    2 friends.
    AAABC for Natural sciences (physical) at Cambridge (C in Further maths mind you)
    AABB for Psychology at Oxford.
    AS grades btw.
    Also another of my friends got in with *gasp* a B in a module for English at Oxford.
    And aussi i'm resitting 2 modules and got into Imperial
    So really what i'm trying to say is that it's not just about grades...It's the personal statement and interview also.
    Good luck!
    (Original post by italienmoose)
    I believe that although universities can see your AS results only Cambridge require you to tell them your module scores, so if you resit individual modules the universities do not know. I am also doing fast track maths and we are not cashing in any qualifications for it until the end of A2 and therefore could resit M2 (which I have just done and no doubt will be doing again) 3 more times and the universities would be none the wiser. Ask your teachers if you're cashing in maths this year or next year.
    thanks, you both alleviated my worries a lot - i suppose i can just ask my teacher not to cash in the module until the end of the year when so any resits i do, do won't show - especially since for my year of applications people have to list all their module results whereas before you didn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    congratz may i ask what subject it was for? and did the college know about the resit?
    ASNAC( which admitedly is not the most competitive of courses) and yes the college did know, you have to put it on the SAQ form.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.