Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Mathematics, History, English Literature and Psychology. I really want to take Physics, I really, really do, but I don't think I'll be able to cut it (want to do either Mathematics, Computing or History at university by the way).

Thanks in advance.

Yooth.

ReputationRep:
    It would probably be quite helpful to do Computing if you want to do it at Uni (Y). I think that Physics is a prerequisite for that as well.

ReputationRep:
    Its urgent; just so you know. I have interest in what subjects you take.

ReputationRep:
    My bad. How hard is Physics at A-level, realistically, and do I really need it if I am to look into Computing at university? I'm predicted AA for the Double Science Award, and I've had 8 months out of school.

Also, thank you Peachz. I see you currently take Maths and History; how are the workloads for both of those and what do you think would compliment Maths, History and Psychology nicely? The obvious answer would probably be Physics but apparently it's really hard and I'm not that numerate compared to the majority on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yooth)
    Mathematics, History, English Literature and Psychology. I really want to take Physics, I really, really do, but I don't think I'll be able to cut it (want to do either Mathematics, Computing or History at university by the way).

Thanks in advance.

Yooth.
    Then do Physics instead of Psychology and try harder? I don't see any problems here. Maths, Physics, English Lit and History would be perfect for either Maths, Computing or History course at uni imo.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Physics A level is stupidly easy for people who are naturally good at science.

I think nearly everyone I know who got at least a B as GCSE got an A at AS.

It's not more difficult than any other A level, they are all a bit of a doss aint they.

Just do what you enjoy and be mindful of prerequisites.

<3

ReputationRep:
    Physics would be better than Psychology. Then you would have 2 essay subjects and 2 sciencey subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DWClark)
    The above posters are correct - many Computer Science/Computing undergrad courses do want you to have Maths + Computing A2. Physics is not a necessity for Computing.

FYI, KCL say:
    At least one A-level in Maths, Computer Science, Electronics, Physics or Statistics. Use of Mathematics A-level is accepted but only in addition to one of the subjects already listed.

i.e. if you used Maths, you'd need CS, Electronics, Physics or Statistics as well.
    That's basically not true mate. I'm pretty sure that A level Physics is even more respected than Computing to apply for Computer Science undergraduate at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for the recent replies. I actually handed in my application form in today with Mathematics, History, English Literature and Psychology down as my chosen subjects. I feel like an idiot now. However, these subjects "should" be changeable up to four weeks into Year 12. Can anybody who took Physics recently tell me how hard it is? As I said, I'm predicted AA in my Double Science Award and B at Maths (that's from my mock grade, which I did 10 minutes revision for). Those are also both after having 8 months out of school due to illness. I feel fine with Maths but I've never considered myself as a natural scientist and the fact that my brother found Physics amazingly difficult at A-level is putting me off (he was doing Further Mathematics and took his Maths AS in Year 11 - A for both).

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    They are great Physics would be good to do Maths, but you will still get on well!

Mia x

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.