Turn on thread page Beta

What Do You Prefer? University Or Holidays? watch

• View Poll Results: You prefer term time or holidays at uni?
    Term time at uni
    55.38%
    Holiday time at home
    44.62%

ReputationRep:
    I quite like being home in the holidays, with my friends iv know for years, and my car and the familar surrondings. I know some of my university friends however, miss uni when there on uni holidays, (chea drinking, nights out, halls etc)

Wbu?

ReputationRep:
    uni every time so much more going on here, and i love the big bustling city im in, rather than the horrid little northern irish town im from.

ReputationRep:
    Uni just edges it for me. I've been in halls all throughout, so yeah it gives me more chance to visit home, but I'm here to pretty much work full-time over summer. Which is a nice break from uni esp. as I've just finished a lot of hard work for the end of the year, but then I soon want to be back. Though this is my final year of my degree so I will say that!

ReputationRep:
    uni time, my holidays are always boring

ReputationRep:
    It's too hard to say.

I like being at Uni as it gives me something to do with my time, and some of my closest mates are there, but I don't like the early starts.

I like being on holiday to see my mates from home (the group is still together after 3 years of leaving college), and I get lies in. I don't like it as I can get bored very easily.

As for my car, it comes with me to Uni, as it's a lot easier to go home than on public transport. However, I do like odd days off (which I normally get towards the end of the semester).

ReputationRep:
    uni is a holiday isnt it

ReputationRep:
    I prefer being at home! I like the exercise and the nights out in uni. However, i'm not a huge party person so I like my own company at home, just chilling out watching dvds or just reading, plus I miss my dog!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a112)
    uni is a holiday isnt it
    Not in my case. 10-4 Mon and Tue, 9-5 Wed, Thu and Fri, plus extra time to write my dissertation/do tutorial prep.

ReputationRep:
    Uni, as it is where my real friends are. But no i dont go out drinking, we just hang around talking, watching dvds and playing games.

ReputationRep:
    i HATE home, hate uni too, but i dont HATE uni, so il chose uni term time

ReputationRep:
    After being at uni since September, I thought that when I when home I'd feel really refreshed, and like I'd had a great respite that would set me up well for the next term. Instead, I got restless incredibly quickly, and really missed being in halls where there are people just down the corridor that I could talk to whenever I wanted, and easily plan a night or day out with. Even the things that I'd really missed, like sleeping in my own bed (which is much more comfortable than my one at uni) and not having to cook for myself didn't really live up to the memory. Even though I really didn't envisage it being this way when I first moved out of my parents' house, I'd easily choose being at uni and having to work and go to lectures over being at home doing nothing.

ReputationRep:
    When I'm home, I miss uni. When I'm in Uni, I miss home.

ReputationRep:
    The problem here is that "home" (i.e. where my family is at the moment) happens to be Hungary, and I just so happen to have lived my whole life abroad (Mexico, Spain and now the UK), I lived in Spain for 11 years so realistically speaking home is there, Hungary is very, very far from feeling like home.
    I don't like it in Hungary and don't have any friends there so the holidays are pretty horrible, so term time all the way for me. Being able to see friends, living with them, nights out, etc, can't beat it. When I go back for holidays I feel really down, there's nothing to do there and I don't really enjoy spending time with the family (as harsh as that may sound).
    And then I realized even the little advantages of being "home" didn't work out because I found out I much prefer cooking myself, and I don't get any work done at home anyway haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewk)
    hate uni too, but i dont HATE uni
    ContraDICKtion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewk)
    i HATE home, hate uni too, but i dont HATE uni, so il chose uni term time
    I don't get you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantBrain)
    I don't get you.
    I think he's trying to say he hates uni a little less than home, so he'll take the less crappy one of the two?

ReputationRep:
    If I liked holidays at home more, I wouldn't be at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantBrain)
    I don't get you.
    Emphasis, buddy, it's emphasis: hate < HATE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I HEART KFC!!!)
    Then why the **** did you comment?
    It would have been rude not to, when you are asked a question courtesy dictates you at least respond.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy both. Sometimes coming home is stressful and expensive though-but its nice in terms of food. I also enjoy being with home friends and when I went back for the xmas hols didn't wanna return to university. But then again I still keep in touch with my home friends at uni and love going out during uni as its so much cheaper and you see so many other students which you don't really get with the London nightlife.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.