Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Reks)
    I got A* in all, only losing 4 marks....apart from speaking and listening which i got an A for, we had to do it on Julius Caesar of all things!...BORING!...some people take coursework lightly, its there to push up grades not to lower it!...good luck!
    Haha I got an A* in my speaking and listening :P. Yeah I see your point because coursework really is there to help push up your marks. The only problem with my coursework is that my teacher refuses to remark it when I haven't even had a single draft for some of the essays (her excuse is that apparently it's the same as her doing my coursework for me).

ReputationRep:
    NOT FAIR ...lol anyway, when my teacher first set the c/w in year 10 i gave my first draft in like the first 2 weeks, and i made sure that my first go is as high as possible, and they were As, Great Expectations was an A* in the first draft LOL....couldnt believe it!...so when the teacher says redraft, iv got little to do. People in my year ares still handing in coursework due a year ago, the final deadline was today i think, and i just dont get it?...why would you just not do the c/w until yr 11 of all times! :confused:
    No I started my coursework in year 9 straight after the SATS and I have some pieces of coursework that were Bs in year 9 and haven't been improved because my teacher simple wouldn't allow it. Although, the ones I handed in for year 10 comprised largely of As.

ReputationRep:
    Essays are subjective.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, i only did the media one in year 9!..
    I did the majority in year 9 but have one english lit essay to do in year 11.

ReputationRep:
    What differentiates the As from the Bs is the ability to write with flair. My teacher says that you either have it or you don't - not that it will help there..

But I think reading will definitely help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by procrastination...)
    I'm targeted as a B grade in english, though my teacher said at the start of year 10 that I could get an A. I'm halfway through year 11, and I'd reeeally love to get an A in english, but my writing skills let me down, our courseworks are being moderated by the exam board next friday, so I'd like to get high B's and A's in my courseworks. Does anyone have any tips?
    Thanks
    One of my peices of coursework (wuthering heights) got 100%. The key is to put down what you actually think, and your opinions and speculations about whatever your title is. As stupid as it sounds you must actually answer the title. It's usually boring whatever you have to write about, but writting an essay just becomes more naturally to you when you get into it more.
    If you checked out some samples on the internet, or research additional facts about whatever the title is then I'd think that would be a big help to you.

ReputationRep:
    ee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)
    Well it's probably too late now.. but I improved my writing skills gradually by reading more (especially reading the paper every day.. aswell as more books)
    Rubbish. OP take no notice. I was predicted an A*, kept getting Bs in the writing, and a few weeks before I starting reading loads more stuff and got my grade up to an A*. Read loads, esp. stuff that has good desctiptions in it. Some Charles Dickens would help. Also look at past examples if you can get hold of them, and try to see why they got the grade they did. Practice, practice, practice. It's good to learn a couple, say 3 or 4 pieces of writing before the exam and adapt one to suit the question. Remember, the question can be interpreted. Our teacher told us a past paper question once was "making up" and everyone wrote something about a relationship or something, and one girl described a clown putting make-up on, and got the A*, whilst many others didn't. That on it's own won't get you the A/A*, but if it's different, the examiner will enjoy it more. Imaging how much stuff they have to read through when marking. Do a few more practice bits of writing than your teacher sets, and ask politely if they'll mark it for you.
    Good Luck and I'm sure you can do it.
    P.S. If you're unsure you can get it still, ask if you can redo bits of c/w to bump up your grade.

EDIT: Someone else just mentioned "flair" and that is true. Sometimes it can be hard to write with flair if you know your teacher will be asking you to read your work aloud. The easiest way I found to write "with flair" is to write in a sarcastic tone, if it's appropriate to the audience you're writing for. The website englishbiz.co.uk is really helpful. Look esp. at the sections on writing succintly (writint precisely and descriptively). For eg: His vast stomach spilled over his waistbelt. In this example, the word "spilled" is a pretty cool metaphor to describe his stomach being like a muffin top, but without using too many adjectives, and still giving a good idea of what it looked like.

Sorry it's long! Hope it helps somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Im doing GCSE Eng Lang & Lit (Obviously) lol, Anyway, On my courseworks I have got A's, might have got A* on one not sure so leave it at A's and on Oral's I have got A's and One A*. So looking at this Im on an A (Well my working grade is). We've got Mocks coming up and need help, like the Eng lit especially ahhh hate it! and Eng lang is OK, but need a bit of help. Any like suggestions. People, teachers say USE 'PEE' Or 'PEEL'. P- Point E-Evidence- E-Explain L-Link. I dont FULLY Understand this can osmeone give and example. show what the point would be, the evidence ( Would thta be the Quote). How would you explain the quote on Link. What would be the 'Point' and What would be the 'Explanation' ? On my work, my point and Explanation are similar if not the same with a few more words.

OP, Have you used PEE(L) Before?

P.S My target C, Predicted B, Working A. In the Exam I would find it quite hard for an A but need to try hard. revision tips?

ReputationRep:
    NOT FAIR ...lol anyway, when my teacher first set the c/w in year 10 i gave my first draft in like the first 2 weeks, and i made sure that my first go is as high as possible, and they were As, Great Expectations was an A* in the first draft LOL....couldnt believe it!...so when the teacher says redraft, iv got little to do. People in my year ares still handing in coursework due a year ago, the final deadline was today i think, and i just dont get it?...why would you just not do the c/w until yr 11 of all times! :confused:
    I didn't hand in my music c/w until the day before it was sent off. :p: To be fair though, I couldn't get hold of a decent tape recorder.
    Out of all my gcses, I was most proud of my A* in English. I found it the hardest at the start, and feel I improved the most on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    rr

ReputationRep:
    Just read books, tbh anything.. I used to want to be an author, I was reading Harry Potter, LOTR, Eragon back during GCSE days.. (yes fantasy nerd books).

ReputationRep:
    I'm a logical mathematician by nature, and thus found it hard to do History essays, in the AS's however, I acheived the highest results in the year. Simple 'formula' I like to stick to:

Intro - Explain question outline points/themes/debates
    Para 1 - First point most important
    Para n - Nth point least important
    Conclusion - Wrap up, explain which is most important and why.
    For every point you make, back it up with evidence, quotes, figures, facts. Then offer a better interpretation of this view,. This may not be applicable to English, but also offer the view of a profession in that subject that agrees or contradicts with the point you're expressing. So any historians or literary critics etc. For extra points, use words like contemporary critics/revisionist historians/orthodox analysts.

In history especially, NEVER use the words 'I think this' or 'In my opinion', this may have got you through GCSE, but it doesn't work here. Historians have been researching the period their entire lives and are some of the most respected people in the field, you however, have only got a GCSE in the subject and are not in any position to contradict. If you're going to argue, back up your point with someone respected.

I probably shouldn't say this, but in my experience, I've never seen a history mark scheme which asks for specific points to be raised or discussed. There is not a list of dates or facts or historians and their views, so in reality, there is nothing stopping you from making things up. In my AS Stalin exam, I know that I got the dates (and indeed victims) of important executions wrong, and yet still scored higher than 90%.
    From what I've been told, exam markers are generally student teachers looking for a little extra cash and are quite often not even professionals in that subject. There is little chance they have studied your period or book in detail and so may be none the wiser. Considering the immense number of papers they have to trawl through, they're probably not going to google every fact they read for validity. Provided you don't make up something ridiculous or hand in an essay of lies you'll probably be fine. But obviously, I'd recommend actually revising the facts.

ReputationRep:
    I hope i get A*s for English!....btw, my courseworks are all A* losing marks, in the exams what is the lowest grade i can get and still get an A* overall?....curious!

ps ur soo clever!!!...:p:
    Thanks :o: I don't think it's all smartness though, a lot of it is down to "beating the exams" i.e. getting your head around what examiners want etc. For both Eng and Eng Lit, I'm afraid it's still probably an A* for exams. Both courses are more heavily weighted towards the exams (with English being 60% exam and Eng Lit being 70% - unless it's changed in the past year). If your A*s were really high for the c/w, and you miss out on an A* in the exams but were very close, you'd probably still get the A*. Basically you need to get 90% average UMS (this usually equates to 88% raw marks according to the website). If you have a natural flair for English (which you seem to as you're predicted A*s in both eng and lit, you can probably get it provided you practice a few papers and become "fluent" in answering the questions. An A* is pretty much an A, but with that extra something. Someone can get an A from covering all the points in the mark scheme, but an A* is done that little bit better with attention to detail. If you need help with any of it, you can PM me and I'd be happy to help.

ReputationRep:
    Read read read. I cannot stress this enough but reading seriously helps. I went from hating English and being absolutely crap at it (I couldn't even hold a basic conversation in English until I was about 6 and its like my 4th language or something) to being a reasonably good student that is obsessively passionate about it and going to read English Literature at Uni.

Other than that, the PEEL technique that others have mentioned helps. As for the coursework, try and read around the topic/novel/play or whatever it is your coursework is based on. Adding a critical opinion or two is sure to impress but don't just put in a quotation and leave it at that; make it your own by exploring and discussing the issue at hand.

What coursework pieces are you worried about? Are they essays on poetry or certain novels or are you given a topic to discuss? Because I may be able to come up with more specific pointers in that case.

Hope this helped though =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow-Dream)
    Rubbish. OP take no notice.
    His coursework is being sent off for moderation NEXT FRIDAY, yet you think he has enough time to start reading loads of books to improve his English AND rewrite the coursework? I'd say that it's too late.. but you do seem pretty confident (or deluded?).

ReputationRep:
    I found that being sarky and funny usually helps I mean it must have because I managed A*s on all my coursework. A bit of swearing wouldn't go amiss. No, really. Don't waffle, highlight the question so you really understand it, and GOOD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow-Dream)
    EDIT: Someone else just mentioned "flair" and that is true. Sometimes it can be hard to write with flair if you know your teacher will be asking you to read your work aloud. The easiest way I found to write "with flair" is to write in a sarcastic tone, if it's appropriate to the audience you're writing for.
    I found the best way to write with flair is to write exactly how you think and speak, but obviously without all the "like"s and "umm"s and "but yeah"s, lol. Oh, and sound academic at the same time... try it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    I found the best way to write with flair is to write exactly how you think and speak, but obviously without all the "like"s and "umm"s and "but yeah"s, lol. Oh, and sound academic at the same time... try it!
    I do somewhat miss english and english lit. Really regret picking french over english lit for AS. I've been thinking of creating a piece of writing on something, so when I think of something I really want to write about, I will. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)
    His coursework is being sent off for moderation NEXT FRIDAY, yet you think he has enough time to start reading loads of books to improve his English AND rewrite the coursework? I'd say that it's too late.. but you do seem pretty confident (or deluded?).
    Sorry, I should have probably made clearer that I was referring to how he could get an A* in the exam. I thought you had said it was too late to improve in time for an end of May / June exam.

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.