Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone,

I have a very hard decision to make in a month's time. I have three offers:
    1) Cambridge Economics Mphil 1year (uncertain)
    2) Oxford Economics Mphil 2year (funded)
    3) Columbia Economics Phd min 4year (funded)
    4) PwC Assurance studying towards ACA qualification.

I have no offers from IB/PE/MC because my university is not tier1 despite very good marks and publications I managed to get. I am absolutely lost which one shall I choice; I see myself in the long-run working in PE.

I think PwC would be better as I would get qualification and then would do MBA/Phd(business,finance) at top tier1 uni in US. However, Columbia and New York seems very attractive especially because it is funded and crazy parties in US but I do not feel like studying anymore.. I visited both oxbridge unis and don't think it would be fun to spend those years in any of them.

P.S. I have quite a few other offers from different unies across US but don't like them same with big4 companies.

Please share your opinions.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    wow can we switch places?

ReputationRep:
    Though if you don't want to study, why would you want any of the three choices? Go for PwC... and forget the MBA. Unless you DO want to study.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    Well because I need to have plan B, C and D. And was preparing applications to these places from my first year so I invested a lot of time, did same for IB and all of them have rejected, no single interview. So during the summers I did GRE and stuff like that.. So I just gave up now with getting a proper job.
    I'm still waiting for Harvard, if I get in I will choose it definitely, but that's still uncertain.

As I said I'm looking in the long-run which option would be better. What do you think is PwC a decent place to start career?

ReputationRep:
    Get a phd and then become a quant. The funky products will be all the rage by then again.

ReputationRep:
    From current situation in the market, I can't see the demand for quants in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    You've heard back from Oxford already? :unsure:

A funded Econ PhD from an Ivy? I'd pick Columbia, no question...but you should want to study. 4 years is a fair commitment if you don't feel like studying though.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge and Oxford seems insignificant in that company, especially for said subject. I'd listen to overmars above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uk.england.john.rooney)
    From current situation in the market, I can't see the demand for quants in the near future.
    4 years, brah.

ReputationRep:
    Well from Oxford it is not official but I know I will get it. Mainly because of the publications. It is so hard to choose... :confused: :confused:
    I know 100% that I won't go to academia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Columbia is good for PE, but a PhD is the wrong choice for a career in PE.
    The standard route is:
    IB 2 years, PE pre MBA 2 years , MBA, PE post MBA
    You depart from the standard route at your peril.

Do the MPhil at Cambridge ( advantage: shorter so can try to get into an IB earlier ) or at Oxford.
    Oxford has the advantage that its students are heavily recruited for IB.
    PWC is a bad, bad idea if you plan to end in PE.
    That what I was thinking about that Phd even it looks cool won't guarantee the job.
    Also about IB, I have tried to apply for intern and grad jobs. So if after masters I apply again and they will see: oh this one loser have tried to get in previously and was unsuccessful we shall reject him again. Or there is no logic in this?
    I don't know anyone working in IB so the only info I got is form internet which can be misleading..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Did you do any IB internships ?
    They are fairly easy to get.
    No, I was rejected from all banks even Nomura! It is because my uni is top 20 or maybe I didn't have the 'right skills'.
    Then I concentrated on GRE and Economics and worked hard and got fairly good results.

ReputationRep:
    Well from Oxford it is not official but I know I will get it. Mainly because of the publications. It is so hard to choose... :confused: :confused:
    I know 100% that I won't go to academia.
    Then the commitment of a PhD might not be suitable for you, but I think it serves as a great signalling tool -- particularly considering where you'd be qualifying from...many would kill for such an opportunity.

Tough choice.

ReputationRep:
    Off-topic, but how to you get publications at undergrad level?

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone,

I have a very hard decision to make in a month's time. I have three offers:
    1) Cambridge Economics Mphil 1year (uncertain)
    2) Oxford Economics Mphil 2year (funded)
    3) Columbia Economics Phd min 4year (funded)
    4) PwC Assurance studying towards ACA qualification.

I have no offers from IB/PE/MC because my university is not tier1 despite very good marks and publications I managed to get. I am absolutely lost which one shall I choice; I see myself in the long-run working in PE.

I think PwC would be better as I would get qualification and then would do MBA/Phd(business,finance) at top tier1 uni in US. However, Columbia and New York seems very attractive especially because it is funded and crazy parties in US but I do not feel like studying anymore.. I visited both oxbridge unis and don't think it would be fun to spend those years in any of them.

P.S. I have quite a few other offers from different unies across US but don't like them same with big4 companies.

Please share your opinions.
    Thanks
    I think your choice should go down to Columbia vs Oxford ( you can't even compare PhD Econ at Columbia (top 10 for econ - Repec) to ACA!!!!

I would have chosen Columbia PhD!

However, if you really want to do PE, go for the Oxford MPhil and apply for internships early!

ReputationRep:
    Mate. 99% of forumers would kill of any of the above. I'd be tempted to go for the PhD.

ReputationRep:
    I call ******** on this one. Oxford do not notify people before March and iirc Columbia hasn't notified anyone yet. I also think I haven't seen anyone get an offer from Cambridge yet.

ReputationRep:
    I was working on project for one module and come up with some interesting ideas then my supervisor/professor suggested to work with him during the summer (i got paid a bit for that) also my average is around ±90%.
    Of course it is not Economics Journal or Journal of Economic Literature! However, after Phd why not?

(Original post by Anatheme)
    Off-topic, but how to you get publications at undergrad level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    I call ******** on this one. Oxford do not notify people before March and iirc Columbia hasn't notified anyone yet. I also think I haven't seen anyone get an offer from Cambridge yet.
    I know someone with a Cambridge masters offer. Though it might not be an MPhil..

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.