Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge, Oxford, Columbia or PwC? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    I call ******** on this one. Oxford do not notify people before March and iirc Columbia hasn't notified anyone yet. I also think I haven't seen anyone get an offer from Cambridge yet.
    Of course. Probably Fulbright Scholarship is also given in March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uk.england.john.rooney)
    I was working on project for one module and come up with some interesting ideas then my supervisor/professor suggested to work with him during the summer (i got paid a bit for that) also my average is around ±90%.
    Of course it is not Economics Journal or Journal of Economic Literature! However, after Phd why not?
    Oh ok. Doubt it would work for Middle Eastern Studies but who knows :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    A Doctorate, 4 years in NYC and pretty good opportunities afterwards....

It'd be a no brainer for me.

ReputationRep:
    Than there is maths involved you can think of some crazy ideas and then you try to prove that it gets even more fun. :eek3:

(Original post by Anatheme)
    Oh ok. Doubt it would work for Middle Eastern Studies but who knows :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Get a phd and then become a quant. The funky products will be all the rage by then again.
    Quant with an economics background? Very unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone; one thing is clear forget about PwC and ACA as it is inferior to Phd.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone; one thing is clear forget about PwC and ACA as it is inferior to Phd.
    Umm depends on what you want to do. A lot of people would consider four years of work experience more valuable than a PhD. And some people (on the other side) might consider it more fun.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge econ is far better than Oxford Econ.

If you are unsure about Phd, then dont go for Columbia. Go for Cambridge. Do the Mphil, then if you feel like then you can go for the PhD, otherwise you can make the exit there. Also, I wouldnt pick Columbia over Oxbridge. Oxbridge is the like the Harvard/Princeton of UK. So, would you pick Columbia over Harvard?? NO!

To be honest, I wouldnt pick PwC, given the other options you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    Umm depends on what you want to do. A lot of people would consider four years of work experience more valuable than a PhD. And some people (on the other side) might consider it more fun.
    But more fun in Law/IB/Medicine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    I call ******** on this one. Oxford do not notify people before March and iirc Columbia hasn't notified anyone yet. I also think I haven't seen anyone get an offer from Cambridge yet.
    The OP mentions that he is confident about getting into Oxford, but he has not received an officila confirmation yet. Though Columbia, with other top 10 departments releases the decisions in mid-April:confused: deferred entry maybe.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibd_haunter)
    Cambridge econ is far better than Oxford Econ.

If you are unsure about Phd, then dont go for Columbia. Go for Cambridge. Do the Mphil, then if you feel like then you can go for the PhD, otherwise you can make the exit there. Also, I wouldnt pick Columbia over Oxbridge. Oxbridge is the like the Harvard/Princeton of UK. So, would you pick Columbia over Harvard?? NO!

To be honest, I wouldnt pick PwC, given the other options you have.
    LOL at your arguments. I assume that either you are a first year/A-Level student or studying some subject not related to Economics and Business. Columbia is MUCH better than Oxbridge in Econ/Business. True that Oxbridge is HYP of the UK, but now we are comparing options at a global level + post-grad level when subject wise rankings/evaluation are much more relevant.

Note: This is coming from a post-grad student at Cambridge, who was offered aplace for the same (Econ/Finance) course at Oxford. Many of my fellow students are actually 'US Top 10 Econ Department' rejects, which includes Columbia

ReputationRep:
    off topic, where/how/when do you apply for postgraduate funding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    It depends on what time of funding you're going for. Funding from the university -- you usually indicate your preferences when you send off your application.

Check this out: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1067807

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pow!)
    Depends where you from/your nationality.
    In EU you apply through EU funds.
    And in US I got Fulbright Scholarship, for this one you need to plan well in advance if you want to get it! Must say, very competitive.

P.S. It's relatively easier to get Scholarship from Asian countries. I am from Eastern Europe so it was a bit tricky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henrykravis)
    LOL at your arguments. I assume that either you are a first year/A-Level student or studying some subject not related to Economics and Business. Columbia is MUCH better than Oxbridge in Econ/Business. True that Oxbridge is HYP of the UK, but now we are comparing options at a global level + post-grad level when subject wise rankings/evaluation are much more relevant.

Note: This is coming from a post-grad student at Cambridge, who was offered aplace at the same (Econ/Finance) course at Oxford. Many of my fellow students are actually 'US Top 10 Econ Department' rejects, whcih includes Columbia
    It's good that he at least didn't compare Oxbridge with Chicago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Off-topic, but how to you get publications at undergrad level?
    Write a very good thesis/dissertation.

Or do a research project with a professor.

Have friends with undergrad published papers in both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krush)
    Quant with an economics background? Very unlikely.
    Would agree with this on the fixed income side.

MPhil/PhD in Econ might help with a macro fund though.

ReputationRep:
    It's good that he at least didn't compare Oxbridge with Chicago.
    If you had Chicago instead of Columbia, he would have done a similar comparison, trust me! Lucas, Becker and Heckman are those kind of economists that UK unis can dream of having and are happy even if they agree to give a 'talk' on their campuses. Oxbridge I must say are of no match to those departments.People find it hard to believe when I tell them that most applicants from Oxbridge to top-'20' departments are rejected! You must have a very strong math background?

I am assuming you know your stuff very well, but at times, I feel sorry for International students applying for post-grad/jobs (especially from Asia) who are being advised by A-leve;/first year students on this forum and sadly, the international students seem to take the advise seriously!!!:confused:

I also love the way he said Cambridge is definitely better than Oxford Economics. It is EXACTLY the opposite, atleast at post-grad level. I chose Cambridge in the end just for financial reasons, my place at Oxford was not funded.

As I mentioned earlier mate, stay away from audit/ACA. PE is altogther a different world in terms of competition - even IBD analysts are problems in entering that industry. If you good enough to get into PhD Columbia, then you are TOO good for audit.

ReputationRep:
    No, I was rejected from all banks even Nomura! It is because my uni is top 20 or maybe I didn't have the 'right skills'.
    Then I concentrated on GRE and Economics and worked hard and got fairly good results.
    Your (extremely high) level of dedication would put me off as a recruiter. However, there's a reason I wouldn't want to go into banking

Actually, isn't this what most banks are searching for? To exploit some graduates that are soooooo eager to work in investment banking? Hm...

Nevermind, regarding the question: I agree that the Assurance route is probably not helping for getting into PE or IB. Nevertheless, you can make decent money while actually having a work-life balance when getting your ACA. If you don't want to stay in the academic sector, ignore the PhD. No matter what, a post-grad degree from Oxbridge would be fine. And if you really wanted to do a PhD, you could apply to a wide range of universities again to finish your PhD.

Out of curiosity: No LSE offer? When thinking about all these Econ and Finance postgrads there, this seems to be a good choice for IB (and PE?). It should be so much easier to get an offer there compared to Oxbridge and especially the Columbia PhD.

ReputationRep:
    Hm... interesting. After having read the second half of the posts here, I start to see the usual TSR pattern again. Comparing apples when oranges.

Do you (most posters here) honestly believe that some more or less known theoretical economists at your department will help you finding an IB job? Or if doing a (similar) post-grad degree at Cambridge or at Oxford would actually matter? In terms of UK vs US universities, it should - because of the different culture and as far as I'm aware, there's a huge bias in the US towards US universities.

One way or another, whether you get a job afterwards depends mainly on your work experience, your academic grades and if the HR department likes your CV's font.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.