Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge, Oxford, Columbia or PwC? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well you know more about this than I. However, I leaning towards Phd and NYC. Cambridge is too boring I've lived 17 years in small village plus university and city where I'm now is also crap and after visiting Econ Departments around US can't imagine myself living in small town.

I think studying Econ at Columbia networking will be big very big, everything is happening in NYC and also department works closely with business school. About Phd in finance they accept only few people and competition is much higher.

(Original post by Pitoburo)
    I worked in the non-profit sector and, at high levels, many people have banking, consulting or international organizations background. Simply because they have a large network, essential when you are looking for donors, investors or partners.
    And in some sectors (particularly microfinance investment/consulting) you'll find people with Wharton MBAs and/or past experiences in MBB, GS PE, JPM S&T, etc..

And I know many people who left IB to start their own companies: a family friend was a Senior VP (IBD), now she lives in Brazil where she opened a successful textile manufacturer.

Going back to the main topic, a PhD in Economics is really useful only if you want to be an economist in the research department. Maybe you can specialize in econometrics, but I think you'll be always considered less interesting than a PhD in Finance or in an ultra-quant subject.
    I would choose Cambridge if you aren't really so sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    no offense but you sound a bit idealistic at the moment.

i really recommend going to the Wilmott forums where the people are entirely quant based and have taken quantitative disciplines to the PhD level and way beyond. you will likely gain some interesting insight.
    Don't worry mate, I'm not a sixth former. I have taken PhD level courses and know what PhD life is like because my masters is heavily research based (collaboration with my potential PhD supervisor, reading various research papers...)

Yes I know Wilmott forum, been a regular poster for the past 3 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    a PhD is a long, lonely, and frustrating process which has no payoff at the end unless you want to go into academia. i would advise against it.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uk.england.john.rooney)
    Well you know more about this than I. However, I leaning towards Phd and NYC. Cambridge is too boring I've lived 17 years in small village plus university and city where I'm now is also crap and after visiting Econ Departments around US can't imagine myself living in small town.

I think studying Econ at Columbia networking will be big very big, everything is happening in NYC and also department works closely with business school. About Phd in finance they accept only few people and competition is much higher.
    NYC is indeed amazing (i grew up there) and Columbia is a very good institution, but you have to remember that you are flying overseas for 4 years to research something that you have only done at undergrad level. it will be a big adjustment, and will do little to help you get a job in PE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uk.england.john.rooney)
    I have a few international awards in maths during high-school times (maybe that helps) and I'm studying Eco & Maths also was doing a lot of work during summer as I said(econometrics). Got rejected by Chicago(main reason they haven't seen enough determination for academic career, they only prepare academics) still waiting for Harvard. And yeah maths is very important. I know a few people who are doing Phd just with maths major.

About Asians they can get Scholarships from governments it is not that hard though I do not know anything about A levels as I haven't done them and this was the reason why my undergraduate University is just top 20 UK others don't recognise my high-school diploma.

Are you doing Phd in Economics? Have you applied to US?
    No, I am doing an MPhil in Finance but have quite a few Economics modules from the economics faculty. I did not apply to the US.

ReputationRep:
    with regards to the worries about spending 4 years doing a phd (sorry if i'm misinformed or anything), i was made aware that in most US unis when you enroll in a phd (as they often don't offers stand-alone masters) you have the option to drop out after 1-2 years and recieve a masters. so that mgiht be something worth looking into, especailly if you can't be arsed to spend another full 4 years at uni.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.