Turn on thread page Beta

Do you remember stuff before you sleep? watch

ReputationRep:
    Say If you revise for an exam in the night and you go to sleep straight after you revise, are you more likely to memorize the stuff you revised than you would have revised in the day

AS IN would you be able to remember more stuff and recite more stuff if you revised in the night rather than in the day.

Just asking, because I need a to learn a full page of my presentation and if remebering stuff at night is much better, then I would do it to help me:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

Not really, but I do tend to have more ideas for my course when I'm just about to go to sleep and and I get up again to write it down.

ReputationRep:
    I always find that if I can remember stuff before going to bed, then I can when I wake up.
    When i revise, I memorise my revision sheets before sleeping and when I wake up I can recite them word for word.

ReputationRep:
    I guess there may be some aspects that stick in your head but only to an extent. This is why I couldn't revise last minute, I usually start revising quite early and then the night before the exam, I will summarise and go over everything.

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it useful to try and learn new things before going to bed, and I find it difficult/impossible to try and remember something and have it pay off the next day, but I do have an uncanny ability to recall past events in detail and en masse before going to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    So it has been said... By someone somewhere...

Something to do with displacement.
    You're not bombarding your brain with new information on top of the revision if you do it at night.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Depends how effectively? And I can't really revise effectively at night (after 8-9pm) so yeah, I remember better if I revise during day.

ReputationRep:
    No, but if it helps you then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i do, but some other people don't.

ReputationRep:
    Sleeping ruins things for me so I tend to forgo sleep altogether and stay up all night...but then I sleep once i get back from school so it evens out.
    Im not saying to do that btw it seriously depends on how you are and what works for you in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, we're actually doing experiments on something similar-ish to this in Psychology at the moment. There is actually research which suggests that sleeping does help to consolidate memories - a group of people who were tested after a period of sleep as compared to a period awake had better memory recall.

But I think it will only work to an extent. Don't overload your brain with a load of new information or things you find really difficult to remember just before you go to bed, because you just won't be able to switch off, you'll end up tired and even less able to remember!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.