Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good for you being happy with your size (:
    I'm a 14 (sometimes 16) on bottom and a 12 on top (5'10) and I find that skinny jeans are fine as long as I don't go for a fitted top too. Or vice versa; fitted top and a skirt or wide leg jeans. I also wear leggings with long tops/dresses a lot.
    When it comes to clothes and what looks good I genuinely believe that how confident you feel actually changes how others see you. From what you've said about how you feel about your shape I'm sure you look great whatever you wear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    but i bet they aren't! you're still a size 12, and that's a great size to be. please don't buy baggy trousers because you think that's all that will suit you!
    i think you probably think they make you look bad because of the extra worry of putting on weight, but i'm sure they don't!
    Yeah, I guess you're right.. But i've grown accustomed to this way of looking at myself.. and girls at college really don't help..
    But my plan is to start working on it, whether its by getting healthier or just gaining more confidence in my body.. Because I know it's important not to let myself become unhappy with myself..
    There are far more important things in life than being stick thin!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not bottom heavy like you but I'm a similar size.
    I tend to shop in dorothy perkins cos they do bigger sizes of the things that skinny girls wear...as long as its the right size then you have every chance of it looking good.
    maybe try leggings with a dress/tunic over them?

(Original post by vintagechic89)
    i originally used to be 2 stone lighter, but was still a size 14/16 because of my height and needing clothes long enough, i was at a healthy weight then according to my bmi
    Yeah, I used to have that problem... but some of the stores have a clothing range for tall people (newlook, dorothy perkins, topshop etc), so if you shopped from there, you would've fitted into 10/12 sizes

ReputationRep:
    to be honest you are not curvy, because size seems big, however if your happy why would you want to change or be unhappy that some clothes dont fit you i think there isnt much of a fashion out there for that size. anyhow i would say maybe diet more lose that hip excercise and then you maybe more happy. i know few of my friends who are that size and to be honest they were tight skinny clothes and it looks horrible i.e. wtf u doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    You're right, I'm not happy. I want to tone up, especially my thighs and arms. If I don't feel comfortable in clothes I really like, then I'm going to have to change (and its not an unhealthy change, I'd still be healthy a stone lighter). I'll always want to fit in smaller clothes, me being over a size 12 is not healthy.
    I agree with this,
    its not about being 'fat' or whatever. its about being happy with the size that you are

If you are happy then that is all that matters! x

ReputationRep:
    10/12 on top
    12/14 on bottom.
    i'm curvy. I have a figure.
    I find that wearing pencil skirts really help/

ReputationRep:
    yeah that's what i mean! you shouldn't feel you have to dress around your figure, just enhance it
    i find i generally go for the floatiest tops when i'm in shops anyway
    the weather at the moment isn't exactly great to dress for so i have pretty much been living in leggings and long shirts, and layering vests and stuff
    i think if you generally know there's a problem with how you're eating and stuff, and you're feeling rubbish about your body anyway then it's time to cut it out, but if you're generally ok with stuff, you don't binge or snack loads then there's no reason why one can't just embrace how they look. embracing your size always reflects in how you come across to others too. if you hide yourself in baggy jumpers and that, when it's not bloody freezing outside, then you just sort of fade into the background, in others eyes and how you feel about yourself too.
    i'm really into my tea dresses, with thick tights, a granny cardie and brogues, or t bar pumps, but then i do live for a comfy pair of leggings, some comfy pixie boots and a big wooly jumper, but that's not to say i'm dressing like that cos i want to hide away. sure it's good for hiding lumps and bumps that leggings don't exactly flatter, but the more time i spend worrying about those wobbles, the more paranoid i become about what people think. that's no way to go about life everyday and there are much greater important things to worry about.
    it really got me the amount of people joking about on this, making quick judgements, like you're bmi says you're obses, you must be fat. does sort of need to change, but probably will never!

ReputationRep:
    Good for you
    Your life, your body
    and only you choose what makes you happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lethal786)
    to be honest you are not curvy, because size seems big, however if your happy why would you want to change or be unhappy that some clothes dont fit you i think there isnt much of a fashion out there for that size. anyhow i would say maybe diet more lose that hip excercise and then you maybe more happy. i know few of my friends who are that size and to be honest they were tight skinny clothes and it looks horrible i.e. wtf u doing
    i am happy.
    i wear clothes that do fit me hence the size i get them in.
    if i was delusional, like some of your friends seem to be i'd probably happily buy size 12s and squeeze myself into them.
    i do exercise. i walk for at least an hour a day, and am constantly racing up flights of stairs, carrying canvasses and heavy sketchbooks.
    my weight has come down since beginning uni properly, and there was a reason why i put weight on in the first place. i wasn't happy when it happened, but i've learnt to embrace it and get on with things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    Yeah, I used to have that problem... but some of the stores have a clothing range for tall people (newlook, dorothy perkins, topshop etc), so if you shopped from there, you would've fitted into 10/12 sizes
    i find those stores a bit boring, and topshop is a rip off! most of my clothes come off ebay or charity shops, which obviously don't do tall sizes.
    new look's tall leggings are pretty good though.

ReputationRep:
    It's good to see a thread when a curvy girl is happy and feel comfortable in her body. I'm sick of threads 'I hate my life because I'm fat' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    It's good to see a thread when a curvy girl is happy and feel comfortable in her body. I'm sick of threads 'I hate my life because I'm fat' :rolleyes:
    girls are far too tough on themselves at the moment

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing is health. What does your doctor say? It's well known that BMI isn't a great measure, and tall people like yourself are more likely to come up overweight/obese when you're actually healthy. So it seems obvious that you need to check with your doctor who may well say you are fine.

I have to ask though ... if you haven't checked with a doctor, why not? Obesity is a serious health condition, not to be laughed at. An obese person might feel happy and attractive (I am sure you are both), but that doesn't mean that the health problem goes away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    You're right, I'm not happy. I want to tone up, especially my thighs and arms. If I don't feel comfortable in clothes I really like, then I'm going to have to change (and its not an unhealthy change, I'd still be healthy a stone lighter). I'll always want to fit in smaller clothes, me being over a size 12 is not healthy.
    Exactly the same as me, although I want to tone up tummy and hips/thighs.

I plan on joining the gym... how about you?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I used to be a size 8 and now I'm a size 16, and I'm much happier in my own skin than when I was skinny and hated the way I looked. I am losing weight again, but only because I'm aware there are health risks with being overweight: I never want to go back to that state of self-loathing. Tbh, I'd rather be unhealthy and happy if I had to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepyGrad)
    The most important thing is health. What does your doctor say? It's well known that BMI isn't a great measure, and tall people like yourself are more likely to come up overweight/obese when you're actually healthy. So it seems obvious that you need to check with your doctor who may well say you are fine.

I have to ask though ... if you haven't checked with a doctor, why not? Obesity is a serious health condition, not to be laughed at. An obese person might feel happy and attractive (I am sure you are both), but that doesn't mean that the health problem goes away.
    i checked my bmi on the internet just out of curiosity. i was on the verge of obsese, so mainly overweight- i was on the line between the 2.
    i am overweight yes. not massively, but i am chubby. it's the sort of weight that fluctuates especially with winter, and xmas- the weight you put on over that time and lose without really noticing it was there to begin with.
    you hear a lot about people who say their bmi is telling them they are obses when in reality they are tall, and have larger bones/muscle etc
    i have a 6 month check up with my local gp as i am on the pill- he checks my weight against my height and my blood pressure. i'm told it's healthy though my blood pressure was high for a short while but this has come down again.
    but then, me saying all of this jjust simply looks like i'm making excuses. i appreciate that but people can't really judge how someone looks in the flesh without seeing them.

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? Chubby =/= Curvy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolololol)
    Exactly the same as me, although I want to tone up tummy and hips/thighs.

I plan on joining the gym... how about you?
    I've been to my student gym once or twice and my boyfriend reimburses me whenever I go so paying isn't a problem. But only have 4 months of my law degree left so I want to concentrate all my time on that tbh. Its not like I'm going out a lot so not too bothered about having to look good right now. Eating healthily for now, exercise will come into it later.

ReputationRep:
    i think i'm just going to leave it at that to be honest
    too many people have felt their opinion on my weight to be of importance, when i just wanted to hear from other girls with the same sort of figures
    sorry not every woman is made the same
    and that girls don't like sticking up for one another
    i don't get how people can so easily insult one another? gives the majority of you something to do on your lonely friday nights in i guess!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.