Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Obese means obese, love. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    that's the thing
    i'm not fat
    at most i am chubby
    , and carry that extra weight on my bottom half.
    bit rude of you to be honest, i wasn't asking for your opinion of that, i wanted to hear from other people of that size. which you clearly aren't.
    If your BMI says you're obese, you're definitely fat. If you were chubby, you'd just be creeping into the overweight range. If you're in the obese range; you're well past being able to use chubby as a descriptor.

It may sound harsh; but so long as you remain in the obese range and deny the fact you have a clear weight problem - you're putting your health at risk.

I agree with * Star Guitar*: Curvy is not synomous with fat.

ReputationRep:
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    change the title to "fat and proud"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    If your BMI says you're obese, you're definitely fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N!*)
    It's fair to assume the OP isn't a body-builder!

BMI is a good measure for the average person!

ReputationRep:
    im a size 14 @ 5ft2, BMI says obese but IMO im no where near, obese to me means being so fat it stops you doing day to day things

ive been bigger (size 18-20) and smaller (not sure on size but i was 10-10.5 stone) i hated being both of those sizes tbh, the bigger was just too big for me and the smaller, well i had no tits and i love having big tits, i wouldnt want to be less than a 12 tbh i dont care if that makes me 'obese' by some stupid BMI thing, im healthy and IMO im no where near obese

cant help you out with clothes though, im a tom boy who lives in football tops lol

ReputationRep:
    Title should be fat/obese and happy. Good for you that you're happy with your body but you are not curvy. As for clothes have you looked in Evans? They make clothes for larger ladies so I'm sure the cut etc would be more flattering for your size than high street shops.

I'm a size 6 (5'2" ) and I am curvy.

ReputationRep:
    curvy = anyone with an hourglass figure ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Why can't people choose too be overweight or even obese. i know it can be bad for your health but it's their choice. anyway if your happy that's all that matters, besides chubby girls are hot

ReputationRep:
    If your BMI says you're obese, you're definitely fat. If you were chubby, you'd just be creeping into the overweight range. If you're in the obese range; you're well past being able to use chubby as a descriptor.

It may sound harsh; but so long as you remain in the obese range and deny the fact you have a clear weight problem - you're putting your health at risk.

I agree with * Star Guitar*: Curvy is not synomous with fat.
    I agree with that. I would describe myself as chubby - I'm a size 10/12 (more like a 12 atm) and I clearly show a belly when I sit down, and a muffin top in all of my trousers (I've yet to find a pair that doesn't do that to me).

It upsets me that people are happy with an unhealthy weight - The health risks can be immense. Then again, people smoke/take drugs/drink alcohol and are happy, so what can you do. I guess it's better than being a depressed blob :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    I agree with that. I would describe myself as chubby - I'm a size 10/12 (more like a 12 atm) and I clearly show a belly when I sit down, and a muffin top in all of my trousers (I've yet to find a pair that doesn't do that to me).

It upsets me that people are happy with an unhealthy weight - The health risks can be immense. Then again, people smoke/take drugs/drink alcohol and are happy, so what can you do. I guess it's better than being a depressed blob :p:
    Ditto In many cases, the health problems larger people may get are related to the fact they're not looking after their body. Obesity is self-induced, unfortunately; from overeating. It puts a massive strain on livelihoods and the NHS.

But some people choose to tell themselves being larger makes them happier to avoid addressing the problems behind overeating - and that's pretty sad.

ReputationRep:

But some people choose to tell themselves being larger makes them happier to avoid addressing the problems behind overeating - and that's pretty sad.

and some are actually happy

ReputationRep:
    It should be noted that BMI is largely disregarded for many people. BMI was developed for people who lead inactive lifestyle and have *very average* (low) muscle masses. For example, muscle weighs about 1.5 times what fat does, if you are a body builder, or even exercise alot and are very toned, you would disregard your BMI because it will say you are obese, even if you are in better shape than everyone else around town. My brother in law for example...his BMI is over 30 (obese), but he is also 5'8", weighs 140 lbs, and bench presses almost 375 lbs. He is also a little over 2% body fat, average for a fit person is about 12-16%. His BMI is really pretty irrelevant. They did several experiments on this with rugby teams as well. Their BMI showed them to be obese, their body fat said they were just fine; some being around 4%.

ReputationRep:
    I guess the point is that unlike what some have said, obese does in fact NOT mean obese as it concerns BMI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1pp1k10k4m1)
    My brother in law for example...his BMI is over 30 (obese), but he is also 5'8", weighs 140 lbs

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    so i'm 6ft and a size (16/)18/20 depending on what fit i want from clothes
    my bmi says i'm obese
    but i'm happy with that
    i'd love to wear clothes skinny girls do, but i generally have large hips and a small waist. i'm very bottom heavy. like a very ripe pear i guess!
    i wondered if anyone else has any tips on the styles of clothes they wear with this sort of figure? and if they're happy with it or not?
    You're also from Bishop's Stortford :eek:

ReputationRep:
    that's the thing
    i'm not fat
    at most i am chubby, and carry that extra weight on my bottom half.
    bit rude of you to be honest, i wasn't asking for your opinion of that, i wanted to hear from other people of that size. which you clearly aren't.
    But she is right.

ReputationRep:
    You can be curvy & fat.

My boobs & hips are the same measurement and my waist is 10 inches smaller. So I am 'curvy' but that doesn't distract from the fact that I'm fat aswell. I was a size 16-20 and now I'm a 14-16, still fat, but curvy. Completely different things.

Good that you're happy though, I'm not. Which is why I've been losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    You can be curvy & fat.

My boobs & hips are the same measurement and my waist is 10 inches smaller. So I am 'curvy' but that doesn't distract from the fact that I'm fat aswell.
    I was a size 16-20 and now I'm a 14-16, still fat, but curvy. Completely different things.

Good that you're happy though, I'm not. Which is why I've been losing weight.

^^^ agree with the bold, same for me

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/curvaceous

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/curvy

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/buxom

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/voluptuous

some people really need to read and learn, then come back and try telling people they arnt curvy :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.