Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    really no need to get sarcastic about that. no i'm saying no one can pass comment on whether you're the right clothes size for your height unless they see you and see your shape and figure.
    i think you're getting too involved in something i wasn't concerned about in the first place. it was only after receiving so many insults from people i decided to try and say something concerning the health issue of it all.
    i wanted to hear from people the same size as me, or with the same body type/build as me. not someone who will quickly pass judgement on someone they don't know.
    i'm not bothered whether what i'm saying concerning the health side of things makes sense to you, i just wanted to know why so many people have considered a 6foot woman who wears size 16 clothes to be overweight simply because her bmi says she is on the verge of being obese.
    none of you have seen photos of my shape, so why make an opinion on it?
    Exactly if the OP was 6ft and a size 8 then everyone would be commenting saying that she was ridiculously skinny blah blah blah...
    Just get over yourselves! no one really has the right to comment on the figure or size of another person!?

ReputationRep:
    i'm not bothered whether what i'm saying concerning the health side of things makes sense to you
    That much is clear.

i just wanted to know why so many people have considered a 6foot woman who wears size 16 clothes to be overweight simply because her bmi says she is on the verge of being obese.
    I think the two bolded bits will answer your question. I'm well aware that BMI throws anomalies, but "obese" is not the same as "overweight" or even "slightly overweight". Unless you have a huge muscle bulk and are a serious free weights gym bunny, your BMI score would imply that you're carrying a hell of a lot of excess fat. Ergo: Overweight

none of you have seen photos of my shape, so why make an opinion on it?
    Well when you put it up on a public forum open to the whole world, nonetheless, you're going to get opinions. Whether you like them or not will be another matter.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at Crystal Renn's style (she's quite tall and a 14-16 and looks amazing), maybe you could steal some of her ideas.

To the people saying she's fat, that isn't really necessary. She only wants to know how to dress to suit her figure, there isn't any need to make personal comments.
    If she's happy with her size then why would you try and knock her confidence, she's not harming anyone else. You can be happy with your body, while accepting it's not perfect. If you can't say anything nice or constructive then why bother commenting? It's not like she's saying that everyone should be the same size as her or that slimmer girls can't look just as good-simply that she's comfortable with her body and wants to know how to look her best.

xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *twinkletoes*)
    Get a life. Seriously. You are just pathetic.
    Why? Women are getting a warped perception of what "curvy" is. I'm sorry, but size 18/20 is not curvy. In no shape or form.

It's not about being happy what size you are. Obesity is unhealthy and is putting a huge strain on the NHS. It's bad. It's bad for the economy and the general population.

Size 18 to 20 is unhealthy. I don't care where you shop, and I don't care if you're happy. It's unhealthy and in no way curvy, end of story.

And before you start yelling me about female form, my girlfriend is a size 12 and she IS curvy.

There are all kinds of body forms yes, height and bone structure do come into it yes, but size 18-20 IS NOT HEALTHY. IT IS FAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Fat does not equal curvy. Sorry.
    Exactly what i was going to say and i agree with what you say after this. I dont think its an unfair comment either, theres hardly anybody who is a size 18 or 20 who is healthy unless they have huuuggeee boobs in all honesty.

I'd just loose weight if i was you and you'd find that clothes will look a lot better on you.

ReputationRep:
    happy
    i doubt that. if someone offered you a little pill that would make you skinny instantly, i guarantee you would take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Why? Women are getting a warped perception of what "curvy" is. I'm sorry, but size 18/20 is not curvy. In no shape or form.

It's not about being happy what size you are. Obesity is unhealthy and is putting a huge strain on the NHS. It's bad. It's bad for the economy and the general population.

Size 18 to 20 is unhealthy. I don't care where you shop, and I don't care if you're happy. It's unhealthy and in no way curvy, end of story.

And before you start yelling me about female form, my girlfriend is a size 12 and she IS curvy.

There are all kinds of body forms yes, height and bone structure do come into it yes, but size 18-20 IS NOT HEALTHY. IT IS FAT.
    Have you not read what she has been saying? she is a size 16... thats not 18/20. the OP said she buys 18/20 clothes if she wants them baggy... that would be like your girlfriend buying 14/16 clothes if she wants them baggy... that doesnt mean she is fat!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    i doubt that. if someone offered you a little pill that would make you skinny instantly, i guarantee you would take it.
    no
    why should skinny = happy?
    i'd look just as boring as everyone else then
    i am complimented on my figure a lot, as it's different to your average slim 5ft nothing girl
    i have nothing to not be happy about
    if i were unhealthy, then i would be unhappy yes

ReputationRep:
    Exactly if the OP was 6ft and a size 8 then everyone would be commenting saying that she was ridiculously skinny blah blah blah...
    Just get over yourselves! no one really has the right to comment on the figure or size of another person!?
    yeah but there is a middle ground i.e size 12ish, being 6ft isnt an excuse - she isn't proportionally large

ReputationRep:
    Have you not read what she has been saying? she is a size 16... thats not 18/20. the OP said she buys 18/20 clothes if she wants them baggy... that would be like your girlfriend buying 14/16 clothes if she wants them baggy... that doesnt mean she is fat!?
    lol thank you! hit the nail on the head
    people see size 18 to 20 and are like christ... fatty
    i'd rather not have a muffin top and strained clothes and buy a size i'm comfortable in

ReputationRep:
    no
    why should skinny = happy?
    i'd look just as boring as everyone else then
    i am complimented on my figure a lot, as it's different to your average slim 5ft nothing girl
    i have nothing to not be happy about
    if i were unhealthy, then i would be unhappy yes
    in this thread you've been expressing your angst at people who criticise your body
    aren't you doing the exact same thing here? calling skinny people 'boring' and saying they are '5ft nothing' with nothing to be happy about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rain4475)
    yeah but there is a middle ground i.e size 12ish, being 6ft isnt an excuse - she isn't proportionally large
    there is no such thing as a middle ground
    everyone is different
    some people have longer legs
    some people have bigger noses
    some people have larger hips
    some people have smaller waists
    you can't pass judgement until you actually take into account what i have been saying

ReputationRep:
    in this thread you've been expressing your angst at people who criticise your body
    aren't you doing the exact same thing here? calling skinny people 'boring' and saying they are '5ft nothing' with nothing to be happy about
    i think i've been insulted enough on this entire thread to make that statement

ReputationRep:
    x 10.

ReputationRep:
    well its extremely hypocritical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_anie_x)
    Exactly what i was going to say and i agree with what you say after this. I dont think its an unfair comment either, theres hardly anybody who is a size 18 or 20 who is healthy unless they have huuuggeee boobs in all honesty.

I'd just loose weight if i was you and you'd find that clothes will look a lot better on you.
    clothes do look good on me
    i buy them that size so they do
    so many stores have messed up sizing guidelines that i know what sort of clothes will fit and what sort of styles suit me
    i would never tell a slim girl to go out in a high waisted pencil skirt and and tight fitting vest top. it wouldn't suit her. i wear what i feel best in and what accentuates my shape, and just simply wanted to hear what other girls like me wear.
    i could fit into a size 14 if i wanted to. i just prefer to feel comfortable in clothes that fit me. i also buy a lot of vintage clothes where you do need to buy bigger as again the sizing guidelines are dated.

ReputationRep:
    Agree x

ReputationRep:
    since when did thin/skinny = happy, come to think of it since when did think/skinny always = healthy, you can be thin and be unhealthy you know :rolleyes:

i know plenty of thin people who arnt happy

ReputationRep:
    well its extremely hypocritical
    a lot less hypocritical than those who immediately pass judgement and tell me how fat i am and assume i am unhappy with my shape and size
    it is so easy for someone to say go exercise then you'll be happy with your shape
    i am
    and the main reason i am is because i don't look like anybody else
    it would seem that the majority of people who have insulted me on here are doing so because in their eyes this is something different. in their eyes you can't be larger than normal AND happy. they're not used to anything different, or out of the norm, so they do the first thing they know to, and insult that person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    since when did thin/skinny = happy, come to think of it since when did think/skinny always = healthy, you can be thin and be unhealthy you know :rolleyes:

i know plenty of thin people who arnt happy
    not being fat doesn't mean you are thin. yes THIN could be seen as unhealthy. But if you are SLIM or THINNER than a 14/16 than you are probably healthier

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.