Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    since when did thin/skinny = happy, come to think of it since when did think/skinny always = healthy, you can be thin and be unhealthy you know :rolleyes:

i know plenty of thin people who arnt happy
    and you can be larger than normal and still be happy
    you don't have to be a gym bunny to be happy
    it comes from knowing you're the best you can be, and not a lot of people do feel like that hence why i think so many people have retaliated to me saying yeh, i'm a size 16 and i am happy with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stace-is-Ace)
    Okay everyone, please keep this thread pleasant! I've had to warn several of you for rudeness and don't want to have to warn anyone else. Unless you have a valuable and relevant contribution to make, please do not post or I'll have to close the thread.

For my part; I'm a 16/18 and I'm 5ft8. Compared to other women my size and height (family members and so on) I seem to be heavier weightwise but slimmer when I compare my tummy with theirs. I'm in proportion with hips and a nipped in waist and I don't have a huge bust so all my fat seems to be pretty evenly spread. I would say I was fat but I still have curves in the sense that I have nice hips and a waist and boobs. I think you can be fat and curvy as long as you don't have rolls and rolls of stomach or something. A 6ft woman who's a size 16 would just be like a scaled up model of a 5ft size 8/10 really. As long as they're in proportion.

So you're all saying fat =/= curvy and I agree in most cases but I'd also like to add that being skinny with big hips and boobs is not the only type of curviness.

Someone who is 'skinny with big hips and boobs' is not 'skinny' at all... skinny implies small hips and small boobs, with little curvy shape.
    Someone with big hips and boobs, but a small waist, is the correct person to describe as curvy. That is how curves work generally.
    I think most people are aware when they have crossed from being 'curvy' into being 'fat'.
    There are also different body shapes, this is how I (and glamour mag) break them down if anyone is interested.
    They are usually split into pencil (skinny, little 'shape'), pear shape (bottom heavy), apple (often nice legs, but generally a rounder or weightier person, can be fat) and hourglass (curvy, hips & boobs, small waist).

Also, this month's Glamour mag's article on this is interesting and also suggests ways of keeping fit based on body shape and the areas in those shapes that tend to gain weight. Quite a good article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rain4475)
    not being fat doesn't mean you are thin. yes THIN could be seen as unhealthy. But if you are SLIM or THINNER than a 14/16 than you are probably healthier
    why is a size 14/16 not a healthy size for a tall woman? what is a healthy size? i know i could never be any smaller than i am
    even at my slimmest, i was a size 14, and i also got modelling offers at that size. i don't want that to come across as big headed, but what i'm trying to say is, i generally will always have this sort of shape to my body. i can feel my ribs, my hips, just under my skin- i generally am larger boned than an average woman, but it's just been perceived as being fat.

ReputationRep:
    OP I can't give you any first hand advice but I would just take a look at people such as famous plus size models(crystal renn, whitney thompson etc.) and celebrities like queen latifah. All of whom are tall and big like you.
    Might help you figure out what looks good and what to avoid.
    good luck
    ]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    Someone who is 'skinny with big hips and boobs' is not 'skinny' at all... skinny implies small hips and small boobs, with little curvy shape.
    Someone with big hips and boobs, but a small waist, is the correct person to describe as curvy. That is how curves work generally.
    I think most people are aware when they have crossed from being 'curvy' into being 'fat'.
    There are also different body shapes, this is how I (and glamour mag) break them down if anyone is interested.
    They are usually split into pencil (skinny, little 'shape'), pear shape (bottom heavy), apple (often nice legs, but generally a rounder or weightier person, can be fat) and hourglass (curvy, hips & boobs, small waist).

Also, this month's Glamour mag's article on this is interesting and also suggests ways of keeping fit based on body shape and the areas in those shapes that tend to gain weight. Quite a good article.
    that's the shape that i am
    i am slim, i just carry the extra weight around my thighs and bum, like any curvy woman does. i would take pear shaped as a curvy shape- you have the small waist and the larger hips, jessica rabbit shape. it is difficult to fit this kind of shape, that's not to say it's impossible anf that i should only shop in evans. i still shop in topshop, when i can afford it, quite easily. i just know there are certain things my shape can't really pull off such as body con dresses or tulip/ bubble skirts which make your bottom look even bigger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintagechic89)
    that's the shape that i am
    i am slim, i just carry the extra weight around my thighs and bum, like any curvy woman does. i would take pear shaped as a curvy shape- you have the small waist and the larger hips, jessica rabbit shape. it is difficult to fit this kind of shape, that's not to say it's impossible anf that i should only shop in evans. i still shop in topshop, when i can afford it, quite easily. i just know there are certain things my shape can't really pull off such as body con dresses or tulip/ bubble skirts which make your bottom look even bigger
    Pear shape could be considered curvy, I guess it depends on the woman. The Glamour article is really interesting. Although most of what you just wrote is completely true, Jessica Rabbit is actually your classic hourglass shape (not pear). Her sexy curves (hips small waist, big boobs)are why men love her so much even though she is only a cartoon!

Either top shop or new look do their sizes too big, maybe shop there... I usually wear a 10 or 12, and wear an 8 in tops in top shop :-/ and I am a DD cup (though I do like things fitted).

ReputationRep:
    Pear shape could be considered curvy, I guess it depends on the woman. The Glamour article is really interesting. Although most of what you just wrote is completely true, Jessica Rabbit is actually your classic hourglass shape (not pear). Her sexy curves (hips small waist, big boobs)are why men love her so much even though she is only a cartoon!

Either top shop or new look do their sizes too big, maybe shop there... I usually wear a 10 or 12, and wear an 8 in tops in top shop :-/ and I am a DD cup (though I do like things fitted).
    yeah i have found their sizes pretty off a lot of the time, especially with dresses, but the main problem is, my topshop doesn't have a tall section so most of the dresses end up around my arse! most of the time i can only afford primark or charity shops, because i do like that vintage-y arty sort of style (typical art student lol) and primark's sizes can be all over the place, that's why i know if i buy an 18 i'm guaranteed it will fit whether it's too small or too big it will still fit me

ReputationRep:
    If you are tall though, you can probably carry more weight than someone who is shorter and it probably doesn't make you look fat. So in that sense, you are lucky.

ReputationRep:
    OP just be happy with your size. Don't let it get to you. Celebrate life...x

take care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Fat does not equal curvy. Sorry.
    and why do you assume that she is fat?

ReputationRep:
    If you are tall though, you can probably carry more weight than someone who is shorter and it probably doesn't make you look fat. So in that sense, you are lucky.
    you have already said that i am fat though
    but whatever, i think i'm going to leave this thread alone!

ReputationRep:
    OP what is the difference between your hips and waist?
    Just wondering, cause to me, that is what makes someone curvy,
    I'm size 6, weigh 7.5stone, and im curvy.
    So are you happy cause you have curves or because you have slightly more weight to your body?
    And im sure you are not fat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1pp1k10k4m1)
    It should be noted that BMI is largely disregarded for many people. BMI was developed for people who lead inactive lifestyle and have *very average* (low) muscle masses. For example, muscle weighs about 1.5 times what fat does, if you are a body builder, or even exercise alot and are very toned, you would disregard your BMI because it will say you are obese, even if you are in better shape than everyone else around town. My brother in law for example...his BMI is over 30 (obese), but he is also 5'8", weighs 140 lbs, and bench presses almost 375 lbs. He is also a little over 2% body fat, average for a fit person is about 12-16%. His BMI is really pretty irrelevant. They did several experiments on this with rugby teams as well. Their BMI showed them to be obese, their body fat said they were just fine; some being around 4%.

I'm sorry, but weighing 140 lbs and being 5ft 8 is nowhere near obese. He would be on the lighter side of healthy weight. Perhaps he weighs more? I'm overweight using the BMI calculations (I think I'm around 170 lbs and 5ft 10) but I box, thai box and spin 5/6 times a week, as well as doing weights 3 times a week. I'm pretty sure that some of that "extra" weight is muscle although I'm certain I could lose a bit of fat on my tummy.

ReputationRep:
    i am a healthy girl
    and i happily wear clothes healthy girls wear
    i do not smoke
    i do not drink excessively
    i lead an active lifestyle
    i come from a family of tall, big boned women.
    i have large hips, not due to carrying fat on them, but because they are naturally large.
    i have a flat stomach.
    a small waist.
    who are you to say i am fat?
    this thread was titled curvy and happy, not to find out what all your opinions are of fat/ curvy. i'm not interested in that. i wanted to hear from women with a similar figure to mine, and how they dress it. not because i have troubles dressing my figure but because i am interested in fashion, and like to find out new ways to wear clothes, or try new styles i haven't done before.
    and since the majority of people that have responded are blokes, i don't think i did too well did i? unless you're all closet cross dressers.
    You could be healthier.
    No you are not, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned your weight in the first place. You are just in denial about not being happy with how you look, but instead of dealing with it, you try and convince yourself it's okay because that's the easier choice.
    There is big boned and large thighs, then there is taking the piss. You are doing the latter.
    Small wasit? What's your weight? That's the easiest way to see if you are overweight, and being a guy whose over 6ft, I can tell if you are overweight or not.
    Flat stomach when you sit down or standing up?
    You are not curvy, you are carrying more weight. It is a slur on the term to claim that extra weight makes you curvy - it makes you fat.

Simply put, the only thing fat should be dressed up in is a sack to hide the weight. Harsh, but true.

ReputationRep:
    and you can be larger than normal and still be happy
    you don't have to be a gym bunny to be happy
    it comes from knowing you're the best you can be, and not a lot of people do feel like that hence why i think so many people have retaliated to me saying yeh, i'm a size 16 and i am happy with that.

oh i know i get the same cept im a size 14 but some people cant see why i would be happy at this size but to me i wouldnt be happy if i didnt have big tits/a big ass, me and my bf both love them and if i was thinner they would be a lot smaller

ReputationRep:
    Another thread like that...............come on, srly? U need an ego boost by ppl on an internet forum to say - you are actually really nice! Well, maybe you arent since you posted a thread like that!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 12-14 on top, and a size 10 in trousers etc so a bit top heavy! (damn boobs!). Ah well, happy enough, though am determined to tone up a bit before Summer..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abara)
    Another thread like that...............come on, srly? U need an ego boost by ppl on an internet forum to say - you are actually really nice! Well, maybe you arent since you posted a thread like that!
    really didn't make sense
    ii posted it to hear from other girls with the same figure as me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    You could be healthier.
    No you are not, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned your weight in the first place. You are just in denial about not being happy with how you look, but instead of dealing with it, you try and convince yourself it's okay because that's the easier choice.
    There is big boned and large thighs, then there is taking the piss. You are doing the latter.
    Small wasit? What's your weight? That's the easiest way to see if you are overweight, and being a guy whose over 6ft, I can tell if you are overweight or not.
    Flat stomach when you sit down or standing up?
    You are not curvy, you are carrying more weight. It is a slur on the term to claim that extra weight makes you curvy - it makes you fat.

Simply put, the only thing fat should be dressed up in is a sack to hide the weight. Harsh, but true.
    i haven't actually mentioned my weight this entire time
    i've talked about my body shape and figure and my bmi but not my weight
    how am i taking the piss?
    you don't know me
    you don't know what i look like
    and clearly someone's really pissed you off today and you've decided to vent somewhere else. all of your posts on tsr are moaning about things.
    read things thoroughly before you attempt to make a judgement on them.

ReputationRep:
    so i'm 6ft and a size (16/)18/20 depending on what fit i want from clothes
    my bmi says i'm obese
    but i'm happy with that
    i'd love to wear clothes skinny girls do, but i generally have large hips and a small waist. i'm very bottom heavy. like a very ripe pear i guess!
    i wondered if anyone else has any tips on the styles of clothes they wear with this sort of figure? and if they're happy with it or not?
    good for you for trying to look on the brightside of being obese

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.