Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Angry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenhotep)
    I don't mean any disrespect to ex-servicemen/women, but that's not important.
    A homeless person is a homeless person.

Ex-servicemen/women were paid. Everyone serves this country, whether it is by buying or selling or something else. People in the services are paid using tax and where does tax come from?...
    Service people aren't compensated when they have to sell houses in poor markets or buy in expensive markets in order to move area for their job though and frequently end up in enormous debt by having to do so. That coupled with the loss of purpose many feel after leaving the Forces means they are perhaps more vulnerable than others... I agree that in this scenario it makes no difference as homeless is homeless but I do think it's worthy of pointing out.

I too would like to see more homeless shelters but would be quite strict on rules within them, particularly regarding booze and drugs, in fact I think I would be zero-tolerance (recovering alcoholics/drug addicts fine though, inc those on methadone as a roof of their head would help them imo) as nothing throws help back in society's face quite like homing people who drain resources further...

ReputationRep:
    more than 300,000?! They could have a pretty terrifying army; they're used to yomping and need no shelter and only minimal rations. A force to be reckoned with.

ReputationRep:
    comment i got left

I hate you so much
    lol @ hating someone on the internet, get a grip and grow a pair

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is a sobering thought when we have all these charities in this country going on about haiti.People who give money to Haiti should truly be ashamed. Of course some homeless people truly prefer to be on the street for a number of reasons. And the question is what do we do with them? Do we get the Police to force them off the street and into special units? I contend, that anyone who prefers to sleep rough certainly in our towns has problems and needs help. I would prefer a system of drop in centres ,where the homeless can not only have the option have a safe place to sleep but also have access to people to help them with practical issues such as benefits and mental health.

ReputationRep:
    OP's face as he made this thread:

[img]http://www.*******squadron.com/fuuuu.jpg[/img]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    Utter rubbish.
    I so agree with you! What tinkertinkerbell said is UTTER RUBBISH!!
    Sculpia said it out loud to let the ppl be much more aware of it! I bet he has done something! at the utter least donate $$ to beggars on the street!

I feel the same for you, i can't help but to blame myself when ever i see these homeless guys...i feel so bad..i want to help but i can't..im still a kid! I hate the government about how they can put so much money into weapons and military while not caring of it's very own citizen. I mean there aren't really that many of them, if the government truly wished the people well, many of them would at least have a shelter and they can start to find jobs they are capable of.
    No matter what it is, it's always better than no shelter in the cold or the heat:mad: yOU are so right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHRIS_PARTLOW)
    thing is my man is so 'angry' but i bet he ain't gone out and offered a tramp back to his gaff for a hot shower and meal. just sitting there fuming on the net.
    i am not proud... but i once offered a homeless person some fries... he shouted don't give me that oily ****... coins are better. :eek: oh well i was angry at that time but now i find it hilarious :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    OP's face as he made this thread:

[img]http://www.*******squadron.com/fuuuu.jpg[/img]
    hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)
    I'm somewhat angry about the issue of homelessness. I had always assumed in my ignorance that local authorities had a legal duty to house those who do not have anywhere to sleep for the night. I'd assumed that somehow people who sleep on the streets in London did so out of choice.
    I found at recently that local authorities only have a legal duty to house those 'at risk' such as pregnant women, those with young children etc.
    I find it frankly disgusting that in a modern, prosperous 21st centruy society, where we can find the money to pay for wars abroad and nuclear weapons, that we are happy to let some of the weakest in society sleep on the streets in the middle of winter.
    I am angry.
    this is capitalism my friend, rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer..

and even individuals are programmed to care only about themselves, it creates a selfish society..

there should be an obligatory charity (tax) given by the rich to the poor, and a true and just welfare system.......

ReputationRep:
    I do feel very sad when it comes to homeless people, if I ever become successful I will do my upmost to help them, I do give a couple of £ every week when I see them but I can't do much more than that as a student right now and , I would volunteer but I'm too busy ( uni, work experience and part time job). When I see MPs stealing money for their moats for their ******* ducks while people who probably had the worst start in life have to sleep on the streets,footballers earning millions for kicking a ball ( it isn't supply and demand because 95% of football clubs cannot afford the wages they pay) the country is rotten to the core.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.