Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how does the cell end up with twice the amount of chromosomes in the cell? and if the cell is to be a gamete, why does it have this amount of chromosomes in the first place? why not just go through meiosis II? how do the two homologous chromosomes end up coming from two different parents?and what is the significance of independant assortment and what does it involve?

ReputationRep:
    Do you not have a text book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScreamYourHeartOut)
    how does the cell end up with twice the amount of chromosomes in the cell? and if the cell is to be a gamete, why does it have this amount of chromosomes in the first place? why not just go through meiosis II? how do the two homologous chromosomes end up coming from two different parents?and what is the significance of independant assortment and what does it involve?
    -DNA is replicated at the beginning of meiosis
    -The gamete is the end product which has half the genetic material of one cell and since 4 are produced it stands to reason you need double the genetic material of one cell.
    - Essentially during fertilisation the gametes of the parents contain single chromatids of the homologous chromosomes which will join to give the full genetic material hence why the material comes from different people.
    -Independent assortment is about variation but importantly it is not new variation (which would be mutation). Not all gametes produced are the same therefore. If i recall correctly it involves the homologous chromosomes pairing up randomly at the equator of the cell. So when they split you get perhaps one chromatid on one side with one allele/trait and the other side with a different trait and so forth.

Sorry if any of it is inaccurate; just wrote it off the top of my head. But yes, dont you have a textbook? :P Meiosis is usually dealt with quite indepth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Do you not have a text book?
    Yes, but its pretty confusing. The teachers have even told us that it is useless for learning material from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScreamYourHeartOut)
    Yes, but its pretty confusing. The teachers have even told us that it is useless for learning material from.
    What's your specification? And which text book is that? You should probably buy a decent text book. All of the answers to your questions will be in it, I know they were in mine.

In the mean time, my teacher always told us to look at www.biologymad.com and www.spolem.co.uk. I can't really remember how useful they were but it's better than asking an internet forum, for sure.

Also in case you were the person who negged me for that post, I wasn't intending it sarcastically, I actually just wondered whether you had a text book and which one... because all the answers should be in there and probably explained better than anyone on here will explain it. I know my tone comes across as deadly serious and sarcastic basically all of the time, people neg me when I'm only joking/teasing. Anyway just thought I'd clear that up in case it was you... and now that I've said that I bet the neg was nothing to do with that post, lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.