Turn on thread page Beta

Been looking on ebay for a new car and I see a lot of cars that are cat c or cat d going cheap.

One I have been looking at:

Car

Now my questions are.

1) Could I get insured on that car and drive it? If not what would need to be done?
    2) Does it have an effect on insurance?
    3) What are the risks.

Will rep for most detailed/helpful response, cheers!

Would appreciate anything before I go off, will save me a trip tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Dont buy cat c or d cars unless you will to pay most of you money fixing them, some of them are sorn off' which means legally not road worthy!

(Original post by LOV3R)
    Dont buy cat c or d cars unless you will to pay most of you money fixing them, some of them are sorn off' which means legally not road worthy!
    If it has an MOT, it is road worthy no?

ReputationRep:
    Cat D means the car has suffered cosmetic damage and the insurer has deemed it uneconomical to repair. It might also have been stolen/recovered. Somebody has then bought the car and decided to repair it themselves. Assuming it has tax and MOT, it is perfectly legal to drive.

Cat C is pretty much the same as Cat D, but the damage tends to be slightly worse (not terrible by any means). In order to go back on the road legally after it's been repaired, it will need to have had a VIC check (simply confirms the car's identity and will probably have already been done). Assuming VIC has been done and it has tax and MOT, it too is road legal.

Assuming they have been repaired well, Cat C/D is not something to be unduly worried about. For example, if you cracked the front bumper and lights on a £1500 car, the insurance may well write it off as a Cat D as they determine it is uneconomical to repair using new parts from main dealers. The reality is it could probably be fixed up for a couple of hundred quid using spares from a breaker. That's why they end up back on the road. They're always worth less come resale, but they can be picked up very cheaply so it balances out. You should be able to get insured and it should make no difference to the premium. Just let the insurer know it's a Cat C/D (they'll probably already know).

For what it's worth, I don't like the look of the Corsa on the advert you linked to. It looks to have been boy racer owned, the advert is poorly written and I bet it sustained the Cat D when been absolutely ragged round the local estate. Personally, I'd steer clear of that particular one...

Cat B should not be returned to the road and can be used only for certain spares. Cat A should be completely crushed and never to return to the road. Cat F is fire damage, but this is often put under one of the other A/B/C/D classes instead.

ReputationRep:
    What sync said.,...

and dont buy a vauxhall..

(Original post by Sync)
    Cat D means the car has suffered cosmetic damage and the insurer has deemed it uneconomical to repair. It might also have been stolen/recovered. Somebody has then bought the car and decided to repair it themselves. Assuming it has tax and MOT, it is perfectly legal to drive.

Cat C is pretty much the same as Cat D, but the damage tends to be slightly worse (not terrible by any means). In order to go back on the road legally after it's been repaired, it will need to have had a VIC check (simply confirms the car's identity and will probably have already been done). Assuming VIC has been done and it has tax and MOT, it too is road legal.

Assuming they have been repaired well, Cat C/D is not something to be unduly worried about. For example, if you cracked the front bumper and lights on a £1500 car, the insurance may well write it off as a Cat D as they determine it is uneconomical to repair using new parts from main dealers. The reality is it could probably be fixed up for a couple of hundred quid using spares from a breaker. That's why they end up back on the road. They're always worth less come resale, but they can be picked up very cheaply so it balances out. You should be able to get insured and it should make no difference to the premium. Just let the insurer know it's a Cat C/D (they'll probably already know).

For what it's worth, I don't like the look of the Corsa on the advert you linked to. It looks to have been boy racer owned, the advert is poorly written and I bet it sustained the Cat D when been absolutely ragged round the local estate. Personally, I'd steer clear of that particular one...

Cat B should not be returned to the road and can be used only for certain spares. Cat A should be completely crushed and never to return to the road. Cat F is fire damage, but this is often put under one of the other A/B/C/D classes instead.
    Thanks will rep tommorow.

Yeah I have just seen a few floating about and just wanted it all clarified. Will stay clear away from that one, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Thanks will rep tommorow.

Yeah I have just seen a few floating about and just wanted it all clarified. Will stay clear away from that one, cheers.
    Cheers.

If the repair seems to be of good quality and the car drives well, then Cat C/D can prove to be a bargain. If you don't know what to look for repair wise, try and take somebody along who does and might spot something you'd overlook.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you're buying on ebay I'd stick to cars fairly close to your area - makes it easier to get a test drive, which I would always have, and easier to take any issues up with the seller afterwards.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.