Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Bought some items from Topshop (Outfit) yesterday and after presenting my UCAS card I was declined the 10% discount that the card advertises on its website. I was told that unless it was a photographic I.D. - the discount could not be applied.

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/ucascard/

Is this right?? Even though the discount is advertised.

ReputationRep:
    I guess if you had no proof the card was yours they can do that. My old college card didn't have a date on it so sometimes they would refuse the discount.

ReputationRep:
    I always had (and still have) to buy an NUS card to get student discount...

ReputationRep:
    UCAS cards rarely work, get an NUS.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they used to accept them when I first had mine (two years ago now?) but then all of a sudden they started refusing them. I always used to argue and it worked, in some cases.

NUS is your friend.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think I should query it?

ReputationRep:
    They accept student cards as they have a photo proving you are a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    Do you think I should query it?
    No, I have yet to find somewhere that accepts UCAS cards without some other kind of proof...

ReputationRep:
    I thought it had to be NUS :/

ReputationRep:
    If you present your UCAS card with some photo ID from your college, it should work.
    At least, it does for me!

ReputationRep:
    You need to have some kind of photo ID to prove that you are indeed the person whose name is on the UCAS card. This was always the case when I had a UCAS card. So there no real point in querying it.

ReputationRep:
    If you ask them a few times they will do it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, UCAS shouldn't really advertise it as usable in such stores if this is the case....ahh well.

ReputationRep:
    You need another form of proof that that is you. I can use my 'BITE' card, (Be identified throughout Essex' as it shows who I am, plus my birthday and just supports that I am who my UCAS card says I am. As long as you start the sentence with, Ii know its not an NUS card, but.... and i've got this to prove.' Sort f thing.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.