Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've found myself in a very unique situation. About a year ago I was receiving treatment for depression which didn't go to well. I ended up trying to commit suicide because I was rejected by a girl I really liked. She found out and stopped talking to me. It's been over a year since that happened and I still see her a lot because we go to the same college. The thing is I have a lot of things I really want to tell her and it just feels like a massive weight in my chest that I just want to get rid of. Would I be stepping over the line if I wrote her a letter or tried to talk to her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've found myself in a very unique situation. About a year ago I was receiving treatment for depression which didn't go to well. I ended up trying to commit suicide because I was rejected by a girl I really liked. She found out and stopped talking to me. It's been over a year since that happened and I still see her a lot because we go to the same college. The thing is I have a lot of things I really want to tell her and it just feels like a massive weight in my chest that I just want to get rid of. Would I be stepping over the line if I wrote her a letter or tried to talk to her?
    You don't 'cross the line', until you tie her hand to your penis and force her to read a letter you wrote in blood.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm not sure what it is you want to say to her? It would be hard to make a judgement without knowing what it is you want to say!

That said, writing a letter to her might help - but you wouldn't have to send it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you are going to lose anything by writing her a letter so of it will help you, then I say go for it.

You might find once you've written it all down that you don't actually feel like you need to give it to her.

Plus, by writing a letter over trying to talk to her, she can choose not to read it, but you've still done your part without her having to feel as though she's been put in a position she isn't comfortable in.

ReputationRep:
    I am not entirely sure what I want to say to her. On the one hand I want to tell her how much it hurt me when she turned her back to me and chose to ignore me instead of help me when I needed help the most. On the other hand I just wish I could talk to her again. I've isolated myself socially just so that I don't run into her when going out. I've lost a lot of friends and every time I see her I feel horrible. I just want the situation to improve because I honestly can't take it anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh wow. Emo stereotype much? Let me guess, MCR, Funeral For a Friend, HIM..?

And tbh, after trying to kill yourself cos she rejected you (******* selfish of you, might I add) nothing you do can really 'cross the line'.

Nothing should break a friendship up, so by all means, tell her you've changed, and you'd just like things the way they were.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an emo. I don't even know what MCR or Funeral for a friend is. I am bipolar and I suffer from severe depressive episodes. Without the right medication my thoughts turn to suice but thankfully I have got the medical help I needed. Unfortunately it came too late to save my friendship with her. Suicide is not selfish. To some people it seems to be the only way out.

ReputationRep:
    What you've got to realise is that if she didn't care about you before (you clearly scared her off), it's it's even more unlikely she'll care about you now. And therefore the letter will just make her feel uncomfortable but not necessarily do anything to soothe the situation. And in an environment when you have to see each other all the time, it's that a bit awkward?

If you feel simply by unleashing your feelings though, you'd feel better. Then by all means, do it. But don't expect her to feel guilty or upset for your depression.

ReputationRep:
    If you think it'll make you feel better you should definitely do it. I don't think it's at all stepping over the line to give her a letter. If she doesn't want to read it she don't have to

ReputationRep:
    Write the letter, and then throw it in a river, this will bring a physical end to your saga with her. I cant see how any further involvement with this girl is healthy, constructive or going to bring anything other than sadness. What happened has happened, now is time to move on.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it It's not crossing any line. In fact, it would probably help the situation.
    Careful what you write though, good luck! (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James')
    You don't 'cross the line', until you tie her hand to your penis and force her to read a letter you wrote in blood.
    :zomg: I always thought that was perfectly acceptable

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you explain, like you have here, the reason's you're writing it. Make it perfectly clear that you appreciate how she feels too and that you dont expect a response, reply or anything. You must understand that even if you write a letter, it's likely she'll not want to speak to you still.
    Whether it 'crosses the line' is down to what you're going to be saying. If you just want to say sorry for how everything happened, just explaining exactly what was going on in your mind and that if at any stage she ever felt responsible then you're sorry; that would be fine. If however you wanted to bring up things that got you into depression in the first place, how you feel now, asking for another chance for example, or asking why she rejected you, that sort of thing; then it could well be taken badly.

Try to think about it from her view. She might see you as obsessive about her, prefering to die than live without her. I'm not saying that's the case, but you see how she might view it like that or as some other similar fallacy. She may never even want to think about it again, let alone talk to you or hear from you. Hopefully she'll understand if it's something you need to get off your chest, but she'll be scared of you asking her out again im sure, so take that into account.

You sound like you've probably had a rough past, and some things that may be easily manageable to think about for you might be horrendous for someone who has had less troubles in their life.
    Be careful is all I will say, bottom line, and good luck.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.