Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried about kitten Watch

ReputationRep:
    On tuesday my parents picked up 2 kittens about 3 months old. The boy is a normal healthy kitten, chasing, playing with and destroying everything in sight. However, his sister is extremely tiny - you can feel all her bones, her fur is not in very good condition and she has not done anything today apart from sit on our laps and cry. She has been eating and drinking but I'm still worried about her. Do you have any tips for looking after her untill we can take her to the vets?

ReputationRep:
    If she dies you can buy another one; simple.

Maybe phone a vet though and ask if it's normal.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, bless you. :hugs:

Feed her up, give her lots of love and keep an eye on her. If things don't improve, take her to the vet! Saying that, my cat was a scrawny, scabby old thing when we got her (she came from the RSPCA) and she's now a fine feline specimen. It should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    If she dies you can buy another one; simple.

Maybe phone a vet though and ask if it's normal.
    Bit heartless

ReputationRep:
    Tlc :~)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anamaria90)
    On tuesday my parents picked up 2 kittens about 3 months old. The boy is a normal healthy kitten, chasing, playing with and destroying everything in sight. However, his sister is extremely tiny - you can feel all her bones, her fur is not in very good condition and she has not done anything today apart from sit on our laps and cry. She has been eating and drinking but I'm still worried about her. Do you have any tips for looking after her untill we can take her to the vets?
    Standard ill-animal practise... make sure she gets food and fluids, even if that means buying special kitten milk or the whiskers milk... just because its tasty and vitaminy so she is more likely to eat it

Keep her warm and look for lice/fleas etc as that could be causing lousiness

Not a great deal else, reduce stress (so i wouldnt bath/clip nails etc) when shes feeling like this, love her... keep her amused so she doesnt 'give up'...

good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Aw, keep feeding her up. I agree with the kitten milk and looking for fleas suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    Even though I only met her today (weekend visit from uni) I will still be very upset if she dies. I bonded a lot with her this evening and just hope that she makes it through the night

ReputationRep:
    We've just taken her to the vets. She has a distended abdomen and is in respiratory distress. It's not looking good

ReputationRep:

Hope she gets better

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry, hope she is okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anamaria90)
    We've just taken her to the vets. She has a distended abdomen and is in respiratory distress. It's not looking good

at least you know now....

ReputationRep:
    If kittens don't grow very quickly, and have trouble putting on weight, then it might mean that they have worms. You could try giving it some anti worming tablets, and if it won't eat them, grind them up in some warm milk, which it will find easier to consume.

ReputationRep:
    oh i hope she gets better, i love kittens :|

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the support guys. If it is what I suspect it might be, feline infectious peritonitis, then there is no chance of survival. She does eat but she is a third of the size she is supposed to be.

ReputationRep:
    Give it some milkshake

ReputationRep:
    Take her to the vet ASAP. Even out of hours, you could lose her.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry to hear about your baby kitten, obviously taking her to the vets was the best thing - really hoping she can pull through this!

ReputationRep:
    She is going back to the vets tomorrow, which is when a decision will have to be made upon which is the best course of action. My poor Dad, he had to take our 2 old cats to be put down over christmas, I really hope he doesn't have to do it again.

ReputationRep:
    I hope theres something that can be done for her. Least you know whats wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.