Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I completed a first degree with loans and went on to start a secondary pgce. I was there for two weeks before having to drop out due to personal circumstances. That year, I still received some of my loan, but surely I wont have paid tuition fees for the full year to the uni?Am I right in thinking that they get in touch with SLC to let them know that a student has dropped out so they dont require fees?

Now 4 years later I have gained a place on a primary PGCE. Having looked into it now, Im really worried that I wont be able to get a tuition fee loan? Does anyone know where I stand? I dont require a maintenence loan, just to cover the tuition fees? Will I still be able to receive this?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Liz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizm12)
    Hi there I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I completed a first degree with loans and went on to start a secondary pgce. I was there for two weeks before having to drop out due to personal circumstances. That year, I still received some of my loan, but surely I wont have paid tuition fees for the full year to the uni?Am I right in thinking that they get in touch with SLC to let them know that a student has dropped out so they dont require fees?

Now 4 years later I have gained a place on a primary PGCE. Having looked into it now, Im really worried that I wont be able to get a tuition fee loan? Does anyone know where I stand? I dont require a maintenence loan, just to cover the tuition fees? Will I still be able to receive this?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Liz
    This page states that you will "usually qualify if your course is for Initial Teacher Training"

Some useful links:
    TDA on PGCE
    TDA: Postgraduate Funding "All grants and bursaries are subject to conditions and you are not guaranteed funding, but you may be eligible for financial support."

FAQ: Will I Receive Funding While I Train?Trainees on postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) and school-centred initial teacher training (SCITT) programmes in England who are classed as home or European Union (EU) trainees are eligible to receive a tax-free training bursary. Similar bursaries are available in Wales.
    [source]

Primary: Tax free bursary amount is £4,000. [source]
    I know the above extract doesn't refer to tuition fees, but look at other links provided!

Contact the institution that have offered you the place and ask them, i'm sure they should know

hope this helps,
    Chris

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.