Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should mens' paternity leave be increased to a year? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should it be changed to a year?
    Yes
    40.74%
    No
    59.26%

ReputationRep:
    I think it should so that womyn aren't in a position where they feel forced to give up their career so that their husband can feel superior once again as the main breadwinner. I was utterly disgusted a couple of years ago, when an attempt to increase mens' paternity leave ended in nothing; the obvious result of a patriarchal government desperate to keep womyn at home.

A few nights ago, I heard my friend's dad moaning that he never 'comes home to the smell of cake' because his wife wasn't enough of a traditional housewife. I nearly smacked him one. If my boyfriend ever said that, woe betide him.

Anyway, back onto the point, if men were given equal leave, then it would reduce female oppression because they wouldn't feel they had to give up their career in order to start a family. I know I won't giving anything up just for the sake of a child; it will be my husband doing that. I won't have carried the thing around for 9 months to then have to give up everything I've worked for, just to make my husband feel better. I swear, if he ever asks me to give up my career, there had better not be a gun within reach.

Anyway I'm getting off point again, should men be given the same paternity leave as womyn?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I mean I knew that rampant feminism fails epically, but this is just on a whole other level.

You think that men oppress women through making men work whilst their wives are on paid maternity leave? You think that women are somehow forced into maternity leave and it's not their choice?

I believe that paternity and maternity leave should be equal in potential maximum length, but you've seriously got the wrong end of the stick here.

ReputationRep:
    Womyn?

And anyone who thinks that the sorry state of paternity leave is a disadvantage to women needs to stop being such a hairy feminist.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    I think the system should be changed completely. Women (womyn, seriously?) should get the leave they need due to the actual pregnancy, eg. a bit before and a bit after. The rest should then be given to the couple, and they have to decide how to do it themselves...

ReputationRep:
    The lack of paternity leave is oppression to men who want to spend time with their children, and a side effect is it damages the careers of women who want to work. More maternity leave than paternity leave suits the traditional roles, rather than encouraging more flexible gender roles, hence I think maternity and paternity leave should be equal. A year for each might be too much at the moment, but in the future our economy will be able to handle it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Womyn?

And anyone who thinks that the sorry state of paternity leave is a disadvantage to women needs to stop being such a hairy feminist.
    The OP is a troll but can you really not see how it'd be a disadvantage to women that they have to put their career on hold and there is no option for the child's father to do that instead?

ReputationRep:
    Women. Thats the word, why use a ridiculous alternate feminist spelling.

No, I don't think men's paternity leave should be increased for a year - if we gave both parents a year off then the productivity of the country would completely nosedive. I don't think it is presumptuous to say that women have a stronger connection with their child as they have nurtured it inside their body for 9 months which is the reason they given the lengthier maternity leave. Not to mention the biochemical basis of attachment with their child.

This is not to say that men don't care as much - but to say that the role of a mother and father in the upbringing of a child is interchangable is a bridge too far in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    "mens'"? as in, the plural of men?

yeah the mens need it mate.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if a woman decides to have a child then she should bear the consequences! If she's gonna take however many months off then i think the employer should have a right to sack her, afterall she's being payed to work isn't she?! From a lazy guys pov yeah they should increase it to a year for men but men don't really need to stay at home to look after a baby do they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    This is not to say that men don't care as much - but to say that the role of a mother and father in the upbringing of a child is interchangable is a bridge too far in my opinion.
    Yes well a man would say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bolyolyoi)
    Well, if a woman decides to have a child then she should bear the consequences! If she's gonna take however many months off then i think the employer should have a right to sack her, afterall she's being payed to work isn't she?! From a lazy guys pov yeah they should increase it to a year for men but men don't really need to stay at home to look after a baby do they?
    Typical man. I hope no womyn are ever daft enough to let you anywhere them.

Children are a joint responsibility, and men should bear the brunt of it.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why fathers should get paternity leave of up to a year.
    I don't recall my mother ever taking more than four months leave at a time..because a woman does what she has to even if she has a child...this is how it happens in countries without the benefits security blanket that is fortunately here in the UK..
    It's good for a father to spend time with his child, but I would be seriously annoyed if my husband( as in, when I get one) took an entire year off work( hmm unless this is paid paternity leave, I dont even know) because it would just put more of a financial strain on the family.
    And because maybe at the end of the year I decide to get pregnant again. Then what? Two years off!
    Thats just truancy/laziness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Women. Thats the word, why use a ridiculous alternate feminist spelling.
    :rofl:!! I thought that was a typo!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    Typical man. I hope no womyn are ever daft enough to let you anywhere them.

Children are a joint responsibility, and men should bear the brunt of it.
    Logic fail?

If children are a joint responsibility, then it is logical that the burden should be shared equally?

Terrible feminist troll is terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Logic fail?

If children are a joint responsibility, then it is logical that the burden should be shared equally?

Terrible feminist troll is terrible.
    For far too long men have been doing **** all in the raising of their children. It's about time they went above and beyond their duties.

ReputationRep:
    No they shouldnt. We cant have everybody staying at home. People need to work. And the reason women are more needed at home is because they are able to provide certain things a man cant. Breastmilk springs to mind.
    And anyway, I have yet to even meet a woman who's stayed off work that long. Let alone a bloke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    For far too long men have been doing **** all in the raising of their children. It's about time they went above and beyond their duties.
    You mean aside from providing the financial means with which the family can actually survive. Minor detail to a feminist, I suppose.

How bored have you being for the last couuple of days. You just need a few more warnings and you'll be banned for a while.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ity-leave.html

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.