Turn on thread page Beta

Should mens' paternity leave be increased to a year? watch

• View Poll Results: Should it be changed to a year?
    Yes
    40.74%
    No
    59.26%

ReputationRep:
    What have people got against feminism nowadays? you're all so focused on the radical aspect of the theory that you just ignore the point they're trying to make, and that 's what I call ignorance.

nice spelling of "womyn", OP. but yeah, I understand what you're saying and I agree. Ultimately though it's up to the father/mother how much time they want to take of work to take care of their children. And no matter for how long it was extended, it would still be a case of women leaving their careers and staying at home and men earning a living. That's the sad truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    I know I won't giving anything up just for the sake of a child; it will be my husband doing that.
    The simple solution is to not have any children.

But you don't have to worry about that anyway because you won't be having any. No man will go near you with your kind of attitudes.

Your inability to spell "women" correctly is also quite shocking, I mean how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    should give men 18years off, just in case the stress of the child affects the woman's career

ReputationRep:
    Someone has to work when a child is born. Paid leave is a bad solution - firms only pay because they are mandated to by law, and will do anything they can to get around paying for a worker who isn't generating any revenue.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't.

A year is a long time out of work, and no employer would give full maternity pay for a whole year. After two or three months they would go down to half pay, and half pay is like working part time. The money sucks and you can just about pay for your mortgage/rent and food, and then there is baby stuff.

Someone needs to work full time to look after the kid for a regular income to support the family.

So no, not bloody likely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    The OP is a troll but can you really not see how it'd be a disadvantage to women that they have to put their career on hold and there is no option for the child's father to do that instead?
    Paternity leave can't be raised because maternity leave is so massive. It would not be practical and would destroy small businesses.

How many women in this country would be willing for maternity leave to be decreased so that paternity leave can be increased a bit, in the name of equality?

No one ever recognises the real tragedy here. That men have no choice but to work to support their families and miss out on the most important bonding time with their children. And then if the couple splits up, the woman will be given custody no matter what; and the man will have to work to support the kid he's hardly ever allowed to see.

ReputationRep:
    Couples should be able to decide who gets to take time off work. There's no need for both parents to do so. It shouldn't be 'maternity' or 'paternity' leave by default. How about 'parental leave'?

ReputationRep:
    I stopped reading at 'womyn' :rofl:

NOW GO BAKE A CAKE :lol:

ReputationRep:
    no. it shouldnt. this is a retarded idea.

the government forcing businesses to pay people when they arent working? ******* retarded concept in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    A few nights ago, I heard my friend's dad moaning that he never 'comes home to the smell of cake' because his wife wasn't enough of a traditional housewife. I nearly smacked him one. If my boyfriend ever said that, woe betide him.
    yeah, i bet that would have ended well.
    dont think women should get anything when they cant even ******* spell women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    How many women in this country would be willing for maternity leave to be decreased so that paternity leave can be increased a bit, in the name of equality?
    I would, but not like that - I think there should be a certain amount of leave that the parents have to share between them. So if the dad is going to stay at home, he gets it, or if they're both going back to work, they can split it, and so on.

In Sweden it's something like this: each parent gets two months off as maternity/paternity leave, and that's fixed. Then there is a further 12 months (or something like that) which the parents can divide between them as they please. Now, that's generous, but I think the principle is really sound.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have kids if you don't want to look after the 'thing' and don't want it to take any of your precious time up?

Your career will still be there after maternity leave, your baby's first months can't be revisited.

I don't know why any woman would have a child to only give it up at the first opportunity to go back to work! It should be even amount of time off though if the Dad does want to be the one at home, I just don't personally understand why any woman would want that.

ReputationRep:
    Women chuck in their careers after child birth because of oxytocin, not because they get longer maternity leave.

ReputationRep:
    No, pure and simple.

It would absolutely ruin small firms, and be a massive drag on the economy as a whole, and for what?

There is an actual case for women having maternity leave. The fact that it is they, not their husband, who goes through the stresses of child birth; the fact that it is they, not their husband, who can breast feed; and (and I know it's a generalisation) that someone needs to look after the kid and women are normally more into that sort of thing. And let's not forget, if a woman doesn't think all that important, she can feel free to go back to work asap!

But why should a firm be forced to pay a member of their staff to have a year off, with potentially financially ruinous consequences, with the single reason (in the vast majority of cases) that his wife can feel that little bit more content that least it isn't only her career that's been held back? In the scheme of things, I really don't think it fair or important.

ReputationRep:
    There should be a few weeks before and after for the woman, but then all other time should be left to the couple to decide what to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    you think that women are oppressed by men because they get 6 months maternity leave and men don't? I think you will be struggling to even met a male who will want to spend more than 5 minutes in your company let alone have children, with that attitude.

PMS much?

ReputationRep:
    I think that paternity leave should be increased just because I believe couples should have a choice of who can stay at home.

I have an 8 month old son and have recently returned to work after my 9 month maternity leave. My partner was only given two weeks paternity leave and he felt that this was too short. Those two weeks flew by, I was still recovering from the birth and we were still getting used to our newborn baby so it wasn't really a lot of time.

Also after 3 months I really wanted to return to work as it was just so different because I have always had a job and it was really strange not having something to occupy me. On the other hand, my partner wanted to spend more time with our son because obviously he had very little paternity leave. I read somewhere that the government are considering letting parents 'switch over' so that if the woman wants to return to work after a few months then the man can take the remainder of the leave. I think this would be a really a good idea, it would have definitely worked for me and my partner.

I just think that people should be given the choice as some fathers want to spend time with the new baby just as equally as mothers. Nobody is required to take all of the leave, you can return to work as early as two weeks after giving birth to your baby, I just think it would be nice to have as many options as possible, different things work for different people.

ReputationRep:
    I think most women who decide to have a baby choose to stay at home because they want to be the one looking after their newborn child.

However, I think male and female leave should be equal... so whoever stays at home, it is fair.

ReputationRep:
    It should be EQUAL. If a woman gets a year off, then a man should have the opportunity to do so too.

I have friends that recently had a baby, she has had almost 6 months off on maternity leave and when that ends soon, he will then take his entitled 6 months paternity leave. This way there are no childcare issues and the baby gets to spend time with its parents rather than go to a nursery.

Plus, the Dad is rather happy with his paternity leave as it is when the world cup is on

However, a lot of couples will not take advantage of the p/leave because the stat pay is so low. Also, I know some Dads that just wouldn't want to be at home with their kid/s for 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hay.hay)
    Don't have kids if you don't want to look after the 'thing' and don't want it to take any of your precious time up?

Your career will still be there after maternity leave, your baby's first months can't be revisited.

I don't know why any woman would have a child to only give it up at the first opportunity to go back to work! It should be even amount of time off though if the Dad does want to be the one at home, I just don't personally understand why any woman would want that.
    I agree entirely.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.