Turn on thread page Beta

Should mens' paternity leave be increased to a year? watch

• View Poll Results: Should it be changed to a year?
    Yes
    40.74%
    No
    59.26%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunpro)
    Typical man. I hope no womyn are ever daft enough to let you anywhere them.
    No, but I bet plenty of women will be fine with him.

I don't think he'll be that keen on ultra-fundamentalist feminists anyway.

Children are a joint responsibility, and men should bear the brunt of it.
    Indeed they should; but how is extra paternity leave (ie. giving men more paid time off work) helping them bear the brunt. It's important for the economy that people work and women need longer paternity leave due to what a mother can offer that nobody else can, breast-feeding comes to mind. If this stupid idea is introduced then companies will be forced to resort to employing older men/women who are highly unlikely to take ridiculous time off work.

And talking about joint responsibility, why not start levelling the balance by allowing men a say when their child is conceived and is developing in the womb. If I'm not mistaken, the law is highly biased towards the mother at that point and the father's say as to whether the baby will live or not is worthless. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    yeah, i bet that would have ended well.
    dont think women should get anything when they cant even ******* spell women
    Embracing a none-male dominated spelling of a gender is not a misspelling.

ReputationRep:
    But you fail to recognise that all you've done is taken the so-called "male-dominated" spelling and adopted it by one vowel-letter (even though it is pronounced the same) and then fallaciously claim it is no longer "male-dominated". :hmmm:

If you truly want to remove the gender-bias then you'll need an entirely different word since "woman", "women", "womyn" or however else you want to spell it, all came from the same source. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Men can't have more maternity because they can have more than 1 child at a time; so they could be on perpetual leave indefinately...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Men can't have more maternity because they can have more than 1 child at a time; so they could be on perpetual leave indefinitely...
    Under my scheme, if a man was found to have impregnanted more than one lady simultaneously, the dirty lowlife would forfeit all rights to maternity leave and face a heavy fine.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with a troll, but the disproportionate length of maternity leave is definitely harmful to 'womyn''s (:lolwut:) employment prospects. Parents should get a joint parental leave, so they can decide to split it as they wish.

ReputationRep:
    iv never heard such a fail in my life. really i havent.
    quite horribly pathetic really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    But you fail to recognise that all you've done is taken the so-called "male-dominated" spelling and adopted it by one vowel-letter (even though it is pronounced the same) and then fallaciously claim it is no longer "male-dominated". :hmmm:

If you truly want to remove the gender-bias then you'll need an entirely different word since "woman", "women", "womyn" or however else you want to spell it, all came from the same source. :rolleyes:
    yeah
    from the greek : "to cook"

ReputationRep:
    It makes more sense for there to be a set parental leave (of, say, 9 months in total), which the parents can split as they see fit.

ReputationRep:
    For far too long men have been doing **** all in the raising of their children. It's about time they went above and beyond their duties.
    Prejudicial, generalising, stereotyping fool.

ReputationRep:
    Well of course for practical reasons the mother-to-be would have to be off work at certain times, but I think there should be greater equality about the leave after the child is born, 1 year seems excessive and impractical however. The paid maternity leave is a fantastic levelling measure for women in the workplace, but sadly it still puts them at a disadvantage, employers clearly don't like it, so if there was some flexibility to allow shared responsibility this would be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Women. Thats the word, why use a ridiculous alternate feminist spelling.

No, I don't think men's paternity leave should be increased for a year - if we gave both parents a year off then the productivity of the country would completely nosedive. I don't think it is presumptuous to say that women have a stronger connection with their child as they have nurtured it inside their body for 9 months which is the reason they given the lengthier maternity leave. Not to mention the biochemical basis of attachment with their child.
    This is not to say that men don't care as much - but to say that the role of a mother and father in the upbringing of a child is interchangable is a bridge too far in my opinion.
    Hardly the case with adoption or surrogacy though is it?
    Hardly scientific either.

IMO maternity/paternity should be apportioned to the couple to be divided (or not) as the couple sees fit, i.e. give the couple 12 months to do with as they please (isn't this the system in one of the Nordic countries?).

And the role of any two parents may not be interchangeable, but in an ideal world you'd have both parents raising the children together tbh.

I also object to your implication that mothers are superior to fathers, you can't generalise that based on an assumed biochemical reaction (the same reaction that sometimes leads to post-natal depression btw).

Seriously society has a depressing view of fathers these days. I mean obviously there are fathers who aren't great, even some who are bad, but it's peculiar that we put mothers on such a pedestal :curious:

(Original post by Antonia87)
    No they shouldnt. We cant have everybody staying at home. People need to work. And the reason women are more needed at home is because they are able to provide certain things a man cant. Breastmilk springs to mind.
    And anyway, I have yet to even meet a woman who's stayed off work that long. Let alone a bloke.
    Breast pumps. Formula. There's two ways of doing it right there.

Anyway as I said, paternity/maternity should be given to the couple not the individual (i.e. split 12 months between the couple as they see fit).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Breast pumps. Formula. There's two ways of doing it right there.

Anyway as I said, paternity/maternity should be given to the couple not the individual (i.e. split 12 months between the couple as they see fit).
    Erm no. That involves bottle-feeding not breastfeeding. It can take months before a baby can be weaned off breastfeeding to go on formula. The father cant do that.

ReputationRep:
    We are in the midst of a recession. I don't think it is a good idea to push through another anti-business legislation.

ReputationRep:
    I think having parental leave that can be shared out sounds like the best solution. The fact is, in most cases it will be the woman who will take the most time off. But that should be their own choice rather than being effectively forced into it by government legislation.

Although what happens when someone gets pregnant from someone they're not in a relationship, or they break up before the baby is born? What if they can't agree on how to share it out? I think this option should only be available to couples who are cohabiting for practical reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Erm no. That involves bottle-feeding not breastfeeding. It can take months before a baby can be weaned off breastfeeding to go on formula. The father cant do that.
    Then don't start the baby breastfeeding :dontknow:

It may not be ideal but it's not like people who adopt/have surrogates/have had breast cancer can breastfeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Then don't start the baby breastfeeding :dontknow:

It may not be ideal but it's not like people who adopt/have surrogates/have had breast cancer can breastfeed.
    Well thats far easier said than done. The whole point of breasts is to breastfeed. Millions of women will start on breastfeeding because its always been encouraged and its natural and greatly beneficial to the baby. The notion of breastfeeding gradually disappearing just so the father can stay at home for a year seems too idealistic for my liking.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want the removal of patriarchy so, No.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.