Turn on thread page Beta

Recently my dad died and i have done absolutely no revision. My exams are soon and i don't know what to do!

Does any body know if the SQA are able to help with my exams in anyway, can they lower the grade boundaries for me or do i just resit next year?

please help and advice would be brilliant

thank you

Im doing my highers by the way

ReputationRep:
    sorry about your loss, i know it must be really difficult just now for you.
    The school will know of your situation and should be able to advise for you to do your exams another time.
    I'm presuming you're talking about the prelims as our SQA exams don't start until late may?
    If it is the prelims then there is no set date for them to be done as the school test you, therefore allowing you to sit them again whenever possible when things are better for you so that you don't stress too much at a time that isn't the best just now.

Hope that helped you (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does any body know if the SQA are able to help with my exams in anyway
    No.

And you've definitely still got time to revise. Have you seen the exam timetable?

Didn't know you could post anon outside of H&R

Sorry about your loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently my dad died and i have done absolutely no revision. My exams are soon and i don't know what to do!
    I'm absolutely sorry to hear that after, keep working hard and make him proud.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for your loss.

If you're talking about the prelims, if you talk to your school, they'll probably excuse you from sitting the prelims at all. They'll also be lenient about the NABS, probably giving you a third resit if you need that - that's at the discretion of the centre ie. your school and in my experience, they usually are reasonable under circumstances like that.

As for the exams themselves, no, the SQA can't really take your situation into account. However, after you sit the exams you may be able to improve your grades by appeal if your school cooperates, says you were predicted to do better but your father died, but it wouldn't be guaranteed.

Having said that, there is still plenty of time to revise before the exams in May, but obviously, everyone would understand if you didn't want to.

You could decide to sit them next year instead or you could just do your best this year. If you didn't get exactly what you hoped for or delayed a year, universities would take that into account when considering you.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Anonymous
    Sorry for not responding to this earlier, but I wanted to be sure I gave the right advice.

This is a very difficult situation, but you really need to speak to your school to see how they can help. In fairness to all the other students, we cannot lower grade boundaries for individual students.

As everyone else here has said, I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to do yourself justice in the exams - I'm sure that's what your Dad would have wanted.

SAM

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.