Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Literally no one I knew at university bothered taking out insurance. It's expensive, and unless you're stupid, you won't need it. One person I knew had his iPod stolen a few times, but he would often just leave his room unlocked or his possessions laying about in the midst of a busy flat/house party. The reality is, it's not a clever thing to do, and so you should expect your things to go missing if you do that.

If you have your wits about you, don't leave your room unlocked, and know where your possessions are at all times, you'll be fine.
    Hmm, I am a very careful person... I might end up doing this. My coffers are getting drained at an alarming rate currently with University expenditure so I would prefer not spending £137.

Thanks for your insight.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, what would you do if your house had a fire or something? I'd say it's worth getting insurance at least for your expensive stuff. Also, you never know what's going to happen at uni. Last year I stood on my laptop and broke it to the point where the insurance company just got me a new one (yes, i'm aware that it was my fault and if i'd been more careful then maybe it wouldn't have happened but it did so hey!). I wouldn't have been able to afford a new one at that point so having the accident insurance was a great help.

ReputationRep:
    Fresher tickets go on sale at noon people Get the plastic out!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I can't be the only person without a clue any which ones to get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saab_101)
    Ahh, I can't be the only person without a clue any which ones to get?
    You should go to as many as possible :P That's what I'm doing.. especially the JCR events + any others that are advised by that..
    Definitely go for the welcome party and freshers ball imo

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to decline the ball... I binned my blue suit the other day, I don't think my brown would be appropriate and I don't really want to spend £30+ renting a tux... I'll just put on women's clothing and hang about in bars that night!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the date by which you have to select your modules, including optional modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alastor)
    Does anyone know the date by which you have to select your modules, including optional modules?
    For Humanities it's the 30th September. Probably different for others though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekkistudent)
    For Humanities it's the 30th September. Probably different for others though?
    Thanks, yeah, it probably does depend per school. I'm doing an internal transfer within Social Sciences to a different course but this is still pending and all the records state I'm still doing my old course... Just worrying that I won't have sufficient time to choose my modules given how long it's taking them!

What humanity subject are you reading out of interest? History, Geography? Edit, just saw your sig!

ReputationRep:
    Can you not just buy tickets for the fresher events at the door? Or is there a limited amount?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Can you not just buy tickets for the fresher events at the door? Or is there a limited amount?
    Allegedly there are a limited amount and the events are popular, hence why freshers are given priority access today. Wouldn't be surprised if it's just a con so the union can get the 20 days of interest on our money! :P

ReputationRep:
    Allegedly there are a limited amount and the events are popular, hence why freshers are given priority access today. Wouldn't be surprised if it's just a con so the union can get the 20 days of interest on our money! :P
    nah last year a lot of them were sold out and you couldnt get on the door ^^

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to decline the ball... I binned my blue suit the other day, I don't think my brown would be appropriate and I don't really want to spend £30+ renting a tux... I'll just put on women's clothing and hang about in bars that night!
    but you have to go to the ball!

i'm pretty clueless.
    need to match up the glen eyre events against freshers and decide which ones :/ definitely the american frat party!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks, yeah, it probably does depend per school. I'm doing an internal transfer within Social Sciences to a different course but this is still pending and all the records state I'm still doing my old course... Just worrying that I won't have sufficient time to choose my modules given how long it's taking them!

What humanity subject are you reading out of interest? History, Geography? Edit, just saw your sig!
    All divisions within Social Sciences have the same date. Additionally, the Economics Division has an agreement with the School of Management so you don't have to worry if their deadline is before the School of Social Sciences' deadline.

For other schools, though, you'd have to contact them directly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you have any suit trousers? Not everyone dresses in a full suit or tux. Just smart is fine. I actually hated my jacket and tie toward the end of the evening as it was so hot in there. Though we were in the Guildhall, whereas this year you're in the Union buildings, which is cooler and also there's an open deck area by Bar 2 if you really get too hot.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Deshi)
    They do pretty much sell out before hand. During freshers everyone tends to buy tickets for everything, even if they don't go in the end. I'd say buy the tickets, and if you decide on the night you don't want to go, just sell them on Facebook or on TSR. There are always people who want to buy them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    They do pretty much sell out before hand. During freshers everyone tends to buy tickets for everything, even if they don't go in the end. I'd say buy the tickets, and if you decide on the night you don't want to go, just sell them on Facebook or on TSR. There are always people who want to buy them.
    hey sorry, me again!
    I'm so confused cuz there are sooo many websites and its hard to find out about everything but; when do the economics people go and pick modules or go for an introduction? Or where can I find out this info?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Resourceful)
    hey sorry, me again!
    I'm so confused cuz there are sooo many websites and its hard to find out about everything but; when do the economics people go and pick modules or go for an introduction? Or where can I find out this info?
    Have you enrolled yet? As in, do you have your university username and password?

If so, it's all explained here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/socsci/induction/

After reading that, head over to https://www.sturec.soton.ac.uk/ where you should be able to choose your modules. (Click 'Optional Module Choice' at the bottom.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Have you enrolled yet? As in, do you have your university username and password?

If so, it's all explained here: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/socsci/induction/

After reading that, head over to https://www.sturec.soton.ac.uk/ where you should be able to choose your modules. (Click 'Optional Module Choice' at the bottom.)
    i read in the first link that you can't choose maths modules :eek3:
    i don't want to do any pys, law or other modules!!!

also, why am I in for econ1002? I thought its 1003 thats the best one?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Resourceful)
    i read in the first link that you can't choose maths modules :eek3:
    i don't want to do any pys, law or other modules!!!

also, why am I in for econ1002? I thought its 1003 thats the best one?
    I know. I hated the fact that I couldn't take any maths modules in the first year. You can in the second and third year, but only statistics or financial maths ones.

When choosing your first semester modules, though, make sure they're not double length modules. By the sounds of it you'd like Econ1011 in the second semester, which is Quantitative Modelling, but has to be taken as an option, so any first semester options must be a single unit.

Econ1002 is Macro. Everyone does it. You have to choose between Econ1001 and Econ1003 for Micro depending on whether you've done A-Level Economics or not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.