Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I know. I hated the fact that I couldn't take any maths modules in the first year. You can in the second and third year, but only statistics or financial maths ones.

When choosing your first semester modules, though, make sure they're not double length modules. By the sounds of it you'd like Econ1011 in the second semester, which is Quantitative Modelling, but has to be taken as an option, so any first semester options must be a single unit.

Econ1002 is Macro. Everyone does it. You have to choose between Econ1001 and Econ1003 for Micro depending on whether you've done A-Level Economics or not.
    Ohhhhh I see its 1001/3 to choose between and either 1005/6 or 1007/8!

I'm down for 1002, 1003, 1007 and 1008.
    I'm not fully understanding the 1011 one being an option, singular etc
    I definitely want to take 1011 though!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Resourceful)
    Ohhhhh I see its 1001/3 to choose between and either 1005/6 or 1007/8!

I'm down for 1002, 1003, 1007 and 1008.
    I'm not fully understanding the 1011 one being an option, singular etc
    I definitely want to take 1011 though!
    Are you on the BSc Economics course? If so, you should also eventually be signed up for Econ1004. It's Economic Perspective and Policy.

By a single unit, I mean taking a module which doesn't have a co-requisite in the following semester. For example, a number of BSc Economics students took Financial Accounting as an option in the first semester, which meant they were obliged to take Management Accounting in their second semester (as it's a double unit), so they couldn't take Econ1011. Hope that clears it up a little!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone up for a TSR meet-up when we get there?

ReputationRep:
    ACS, sorry to bombard you with another module question, but, would there be an issue in me picking a Computer Science module as one of my optional modules in the first semester, assuming it doesn't clash?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alastor)
    ACS, sorry to bombard you with another module question, but, would there be an issue in me picking a Computer Science module as one of my optional modules in the first semester, assuming it doesn't clash?
    I was thinking CS seeing as the rest of the options are ****.

ReputationRep:
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking "Programming Principles" - I did A'Level Computing and proficient in C/C++/C Sharp etc. Should be quite a doss! Also it's 50% cw! Stay away from Discrete Maths, it's apparently really hard/evil - all decision maths - though I'm sure you did that in Further Maths. Engineering Maths for Comp Sci is basically a self-taught revision of A'Level.

I wonder though, looking at the CS modules for first semester:

COMP1004 Programming Principles (Compulsory)
    COMP1007 Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science (Compulsory)
    INFO1010 Personal and Professional Development (Compulsory)
    MATH1014 Engineering Mathematics for Computer Science (Compulsory)
    COMP1002 Computer Systems and Applications (Optional)
    ELEC1013 Introduction to Digital Electronics (Optional)

Are the modules taught concurrently? So, assuming it doesn't clash, there should be no reason why I shouldn't be able to pick it?

I'll probably get barred from entering the Comp Sci building, I kinda sent the department on a wild goose chase over whether I could transfer to Comp Sci. It took them a long time to confirm whether I could transfer, and I presumed this indicated my request was unsuccessful. Nice lady got back and said the admissions dr would be willing and that she was getting my paper work from Social Sciences! Had to send quite a quick apologetic email explaining my situation... no response
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Providing you pick modules worth 30 credits and there are no timetables clashes and you have the CS Admission Tutor’s permission, then it’s all fine.

Unfortunately CS credit their modules different to other departments. Programming Principles is worth 20 credits, so providing one of your other first semester modules was also from CS, you should be fine since the rest are only 10 credits.

Also to help with responses, it’s always best to phone. The various departments are notoriously slow to respond unless you email a lecturer directly, but the CS website doesn’t seem to say which lecturer is actually their UG Admissions Tutor.

ReputationRep:
    :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    The various departments are notoriously slow to respond unless you email a lecturer directly, but the CS website doesn’t seem to say which lecturer is actually their UG Admissions Tutor.
    Dr David Millard is the admissions tutor.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you find out about the freshers events for your accomodation? The only ones I've seen are on the SUSU site...

Optional module thing is effforrrtttt. Trying to work out which Economics modules I'm allowed to do......confusing!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/socsci/induction/

Read through the first three PDF documents at the first three links on the page... should make things clearer. As you're actually doing Geography though....

I agree that the process of selecting modules isn't as accessible as it should be. Goodness knows how many people have messed theirs up in the past.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/socsci/induction/

Read through the first three PDF documents at the first free links on the page... should make things clearer. As you're actually doing Geography though....

I agree that the process of selecting modules isn't as accessible as it should be. Goodness knows how many people have messed theirs up in the past.
    They sent us a booklet with a couple of options in, but I'm not sure if that's the limit or examples! They didn't make it very obvious....

Thanks for the PDFs though, I'll have a read!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is a stupid question but how many optional modules can you/are you meant to take as optional ones?

ReputationRep:
    I sent the application for the student ID card just now, so it'll be a couple of days late...I really hope I'll get it when I arrive! They should have sent us an email as a reminder of the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razz24)
    I sent the application for the student ID card just now, so it'll be a couple of days late...I really hope I'll get it when I arrive! They should have sent us an email as a reminder of the deadline.
    The deadline is the 13th surely?

Edit: apparently not.. don't know where I got the 13th from? Mine's sent and should have arrived today.

ReputationRep:
    The deadline is the 13th surely?

Edit: apparently not.. don't know where I got the 13th from? Mine's sent and should have arrived today.
    On the form it said that it had to be there by the 10th, and I sent it from Norway for I'm sure it's going to take longer

ReputationRep:
    HUH?
    I read 13th!!!
    I only sent mine today too!

ReputationRep:
    HUH?
    I read 13th!!!
    I only sent mine today too!
    Yeah! I'm pretty sure mine said the 13th as well! (I binned the instruction sheet). Did yours have your name and student number already printed on it? If you download the form pack now off the website, which has the name/student number blank, it says the 10th.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I'm pretty sure mine said the 13th as well! (I binned the instruction sheet). Did yours have your name and student number already printed on it? If you download the form pack now off the website, which has the name/student number blank, it says the 10th.
    The instructions were stupid - they said return for Friday 13th on a pre-printed form, or return for Friday 10th on a blank form.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2010

University open days

1. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 9 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.