The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
temt91
The instructions were stupid - they said return for Friday 13th on a pre-printed form, or return for Friday 10th on a blank form.

Ah! - mistake or does it reflect that with pre-printed forms they don't have to spend the time checking/updating details? Though I would have thought this would be a marginal length of time - not scheduled for 3 days.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
So the deadline for these things is the 13th? I haven't even recieved it in the post.....
Reply 462
I dunno whether they got the day or date wrong so I just sent mine off to get there for the 10th to make sure.

raspberryice
So the deadline for these things is the 13th? I haven't even recieved it in the post.....

You can get an ID form from here: http://www.soton.ac.uk/sais/idstudio/Documents/Web%20Student%20ID%20Card%20Application%20Pack%20201011.pdf
I'd probably try and get it there for the 10th so there's no delay for your card.
Alastor
I was thinking "Programming Principles" - I did A'Level Computing and proficient in C/C++/C Sharp etc. Should be quite a doss! Also it's 50% cw! Stay away from Discrete Maths, it's apparently really hard/evil - all decision maths - though I'm sure you did that in Further Maths. Engineering Maths for Comp Sci is basically a self-taught revision of A'Level.

I wonder though, looking at the CS modules for first semester:

COMP1004 Programming Principles (Compulsory)
COMP1007 Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science (Compulsory)
INFO1010 Personal and Professional Development (Compulsory)
MATH1014 Engineering Mathematics for Computer Science (Compulsory)
COMP1002 Computer Systems and Applications (Optional)
ELEC1013 Introduction to Digital Electronics (Optional)

Are the modules taught concurrently? So, assuming it doesn't clash, there should be no reason why I shouldn't be able to pick it?

I'll probably get barred from entering the Comp Sci building, I kinda sent the department on a wild goose chase over whether I could transfer to Comp Sci. It took them a long time to confirm whether I could transfer, and I presumed this indicated my request was unsuccessful. Nice lady got back and said the admissions dr would be willing and that she was getting my paper work from Social Sciences! Had to send quite a quick apologetic email explaining my situation... no response :s-smilie:

Ok...so we can do ANY subject apart from Maths and the one Management module.

I probably sound completely stupid but what actually is Computer Science? I did read up a bit on wiki but :s-smilie:
I just need to take modules which are quantitative or suitable for a financial type career!
Reply 464
Resourceful
Ok...so we can do ANY subject apart from Maths and the one Management module.

I probably sound completely stupid but what actually is Computer Science? I did read up a bit on wiki but :s-smilie:
I just need to take modules which are quantitative or suitable for a financial type career!

See the thing in front of you? :P Basically the maths and science behind how it works! It's not like ICT/IT which describes how to use a Computer, Comp Sci is a study of how they operate, how to create applications which run on the system. It's a very respected degree and Southampton is the fifth in the UK for it.

You may as well take one or two modules for your optional modules which you will enjoy and are not too demanding. Politics/Law/History/Physics?
Alastor
See the thing in front of you? :P Basically the maths and science behind how it works! It's not like ICT/IT which describes how to use a Computer, Comp Sci is a study of how they operate, how to create applications which run on the system. It's a very respected degree and Southampton is the fifth in the UK for it.

You may as well take one or two modules for your optional modules which you will enjoy and are not too demanding. Politics/Law/History/Physics?

Ok, so I've decided on definitely taking ECON1011- (the economics one for semester 2) which is quite mathsy.
And, I still have no idea about the other 2 optional ones for Semester 1.

Btw, I think we're doing the same core ones; what does your timetable look like? Mine just shows ECON1007 three times a week :s-smilie:
Reply 466
Resourceful
Ok, so I've decided on definitely taking ECON1011- (the economics one for semester 2) which is quite mathsy.
And, I still have no idea about the other 2 optional ones for Semester 1.

Btw, I think we're doing the same core ones; what does your timetable look like? Mine just shows ECON1007 three times a week :s-smilie:

Is that the quantitative modelling one? Allows you to pick more advanced modules next year?

No idea what my timetable looks like as they are still handling my request to transfer courses. Last week, my application was in the Econ department waiting for final signature. I sent an email yesterday asking about the status, but, all my records still show "Econ & Politics"...
are people buying necessary books before they arrive or waiting then buying them at the beginning of term ? i don't know what to do and whether i should buy them all or wait and see which ones are definitely essentials ? :s
Reply 468
grabattack
are people buying necessary books before they arrive or waiting then buying them at the beginning of term ? i don't know what to do and whether i should buy them all or wait and see which ones are definitely essentials ? :s

Honestly, just wait and see. You may find you don't need to buy any books.

I bought all the recommended texts for the first semester and found I barely used them. Two of them I'll actually use a lot next year, it turns out, but it means I've a few books which cost a lot just laying around doing nothing.

You'll also find the library is very well stocked, and so you may never need to buy a textbook. For the second semester I just used the library and the resources were ample.
Reply 469
So who's going to the Ball?

I'm contemplating on going because I missed out on Twisted, but the only people I've heard of who are performing are Chase & Status and I don't particularly like them :dontknow:
Reply 470
I have a ticket. But if I make friends with people who aren't then I'll definitely consider not going since Chase & Status isn't my kind of music and I've heard that the drinks are expensive.
I'm not going, I don't really like formal events and £25 is quite a lot. I do like Chase and Status but got the Chamberlain Halls JCR pack so will probs go to whatever is included in that.
Reply 472
My picture for my ID card came out hilarious.
Reply 473
I'm not going either, I have a ticket to the "dress down ball" though. Anyone's free to join in my alternative proposition of dressing up as women and hanging around in bars in the rough areas! :P
Southampton's 'rough areas' are quite a way out tbf. :p:

You'd need to be closer to St. Mary's for them.
Super_Hans
I'm not going, I don't really like formal events and £25 is quite a lot. I do like Chase and Status but got the Chamberlain Halls JCR pack so will probs go to whatever is included in that.

I can guarantee Chase & Status will be around several times this year, so you're making a good decision.

When I saw them last summer at a Solent Exam Party thing they performed along with Artful Dodger and Basement Jaxx, and I saw all three of them for a tenner. They've also performed in the Cube 2 or 3 times, and you can get tickets for about £8-10 if they ever do again.
marcusmerehay
I can guarantee Chase & Status will be around several times this year, so you're making a good decision.

When I saw them last summer at a Solent Exam Party thing they performed along with Artful Dodger and Basement Jaxx, and I saw all three of them for a tenner. They've also performed in the Cube 2 or 3 times, and you can get tickets for about £8-10 if they ever do again.

I saw them this summer anyway before Prodigy so not too worries either. Just had a browse on facebook and I see they are performing 24th October at Oceana if anyone really wants to see them - http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=148020421897314
(edited 13 years ago)
Does anyone know what time we're supposed to move into Monte halls?
Reply 478
Deutsch_Beth
Does anyone know what time we're supposed to move into Monte halls?

depends whether you're an ensuite or not. If you are, you move in on Saturday (25th), with girls between 8:30-12. (with that being 8:30 am :p:)
If not, it's the Sunday, same times. =)

and here is the link
unamed
depends whether you're an ensuite or not. If you are, you move in on Saturday (25th), with girls between 8:30-12. (with that being 8:30 am :p:)
If not, it's the Sunday, same times. =)

and here is the link

Thanks!! Yep I am an ensuite, so Saturday between 8.30 - 12, excellent :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending