The Student Room Group

Could I take C3 + C4 [Maths] at my school even if im meant to do it next year?

As the title says really, Ive been studying Core 3 and Core 4 modules (for maths) in my spare time as I hope to study Further Maths next year (as an extra AS, as I didnt pick it at the beginning of the year).
However, as I only chose to do the normal Maths A-level, the school will only pay for my C1+C2+S1 modules. I was wondering if I were to take C3+C4 this year, and pay with my own money for the modules, would the school allow me to take it on school grounds with the other Further Maths pupils or would I have to do it externally?

Also, if I didn't do as well I expected to do, could I retake the modules next year (when I was originally meant to take them) as the school should pay those anyway?

Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
I don't see the problem, sure.
Reply 2
TheHoly1
As the title says really, Ive been studying Core 3 and Core 4 modules (for maths) in my spare time as I hope to study Further Maths next year (as an extra AS, as I didnt pick it at the beginning of the year).
However, as I only chose to do the normal Maths A-level, the school will only pay for my C1+C2+S1 modules. I was wondering if I were to take C3+C4 this year, and pay with my own money for the modules, would the school allow me to take it on school grounds with the other Further Maths pupils or would I have to do it externally?

Also, if I didn't do as well I expected to do, could I retake the modules next year (when I was originally meant to take them) as the school should pay those anyway?

Thanks for any help.

Only your school can answer this question - it's up to them to decide if they'll allow you to sit C3+4 early. They may want you to show evidence that you are serious and able to complete your goal without adversely affecting your other studies. Talk to your teacher, head of maths and/or to your exams officer.
Reply 3
depend on the school
YES!
Well, probably anyway ...

I did C4 early because my school agreed.
All you really need to do is to be on good terms with the exams officer (because s/he might have a bit of a headache with the admin).
And to persuade your Head of Maths (or the relevant person) that you're ready to do the exam - maybe by asking them to mark a practice paper you've done.

Hope it goes well! :smile:
Take some past papers and show that you can do it to them, otherwise you'll just sound like you're being cocky. I know you can't really change it now, but you should have made your teachers aware when you started studying C3/C4 in your spare time so that they could prepare for you sitting the exams.
Reply 6
I'm doing C3, C4 and M1 this year [I'm in year 12]. All I did was I went to the exams officer and paid her to sit those exams. Done! My maths teacher wasn't even involved, although it's easier for me since she's not technically my maths teacher as I self teach, so the school just considers me an external student for maths. Hope that helped!
TheHoly1

Thanks for any help.

Some schools can be weird about this. What subjects would you be doing next year. I think that one problem that some schools have is that if you take the two modules early then next year you could potentially be doing only two A2s rather than three (this is if you're doing four AS levels now and plan on dropping one before next year). Your best bet is to talk to your school, your Maths teacher/head of Maths department.
Yes, you can :biggrin:

even if your teachers don't agree with it, you can just go to your school's examiners office and ask them to enter you for the exam... you will have to pay for it though (unless your teachers are willing to do it for you)

Latest