Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think about having a queen (or king)? Is it paradoxical to have a democracy whilst having a unelected monarch. True, the monarch has pretty much no power and is pretty much just a symbolic figurehead but should we keep it or get rid? For me its bad as it represents imperialism and autocracy and as a democracy I simply do not think we should have one. Lots of people argue that we shouldn't lose our culture but France have managed fine. However, the royal family and all the associated landmarks bring in shed loads of tourists and therefore loads of money, so unfortunately for me its a necessary evil.

I'm interested in seeing have everyone else thinks, so...?

I wouldn't be too bothered to see her head stuck on tower bridge if push came to shove.

ReputationRep:
    I am a republican principally. BUT I think the monarchy is really the least of our problems...there's far more to be improved in this country...

ReputationRep:
    Keep - I like the tradition.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wholeheartedly behind the monarchy. God save the Queen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I am a republican principally. BUT I think the monarchy is really the least of our problems...there's far more to be improved in this country...
    This.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy

ReputationRep:
    Brings in a lot of tourism, even if they don't do too much otherwise, so yay.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid.....dictatorship all the way :-P

This country needs to be drastically improved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derf1)
    True, the monarch has pretty much no power and is pretty much just a symbolic figurehead...
    False.

The monarch are quite powerfull. That the monarchy is "just a symbolic figurehead" is part of a public image.

ReputationRep:
    Keep. I like having a national figurehead that's not a politician. Not to mention the centuries of history and the money brought in through tourism.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely keep. Queen <3

ReputationRep:
    The Monarch still plays a role per se...

The Queen and the PM have private discussions on certain issues and the Monarchs main role is to:

To advise: e.g. the 2001 election was postponed because the Queen raised the issue of foot and mouth (countryside needed to be self contained)

To encourage

To warn

And thus, this could potentially affect the outcome of decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't the monarch have power to veto any decision made by the government houses?

Personally, why should birthrite mean that they have any power, thats like if 2 doctors were to copulate and their child was sadly disabled but was made a doctor and allowed to treat people regardless despite having no medical knowledge or the capcity to gain such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatal_Microbes)
    Doesn't the monarch have power to veto any decision made by the government houses?

Personally, why should birthrite mean that they have any power, thats like if 2 doctors were to copulate and their child was sadly disabled but was made a doctor and allowed to treat people regardless despite having no medical knowledge or the capcity to gain such.
    Yet it's a system that worked fine for hundreds of years.

ReputationRep:
    Keeep!
    Can't those that dislike the monarchy just ignore it?....... Not difficult to do is it? There are a hell of a lot of people that want to keep the monarchy, a lot of the older generation, and myself!

It's a big part of our history and tradition........Yes I know the Lefties have tried so hard to stamp out anything "British" or "traditional," and that the monarchs would be the first ones lined up against the wall and shot come the Revolution, but let's not surrender one of our last institutions to them eh?!

Bring in an enormous amount of revenue. (Anyone that reports the monarchy "costing" the taxpayer is being disingenuous. Go look up the "Privy purse" and "Royal List." )

They are a fantastic figure-head for the commonwealth, and do an enormous amount of charity work. e.g. the Princes Trust, but so much more. Have a look on the Royal Households website for a day in the life of one of the Royal Family - pretty busy!
    Much better value for money than some of the MP's I think.......?!

I like the principle of a constitutional monarchy.
    We have the purely elected leaders, we got George Bush and Tony Blair.......Nearly a good enough argument to do away with democracy all together:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    The Monarch still plays a role per se...

The Queen and the PM have private discussions on certain issues and the Monarchs main role is to:

To advise: e.g. the 2001 election was postponed because the Queen raised the issue of foot and mouth (countryside needed to be self contained)

To encourage

To warn

And thus, this could potentially affect the outcome of decisions.
    Hehe, that's exactly how my public law lecturer wrote on his course outline. (almost word for word )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    Yet it's a system that worked fine for hundreds of years.
    And yet it is merely one person. the pop of this country is 70million.
    70 million vs 1, I know who would win in a fight.

You would think that a rebellion would be sucessful and we'd have an elected elite ruler of the nation?

Why should one person rule? You find me one person that is the greatest in the fields of mathematics, media,medicine, skateboarding, physics, chemistry, etc etc etc

Surely a governing body of the proven elites of all fields would be better than a single ruling entity with no prerequisit.

And yet you're right, the monachy has some how survived...

ReputationRep:
    Ney ney ney.

Get rid.

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way they put a lot of work in. Imagine the stress of being a king or queen... Especially in this multicultural age when everyone is questioning whether we should be a republic or whatnot

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.