Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerBay)
    Ney ney ney.

Get rid.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    The stress???? What do they actually do???

ReputationRep:
    Keep the queen and king, look at saudi arabia it still has its king and Queen so i say Yey!
    get rid of it after the year 2100

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    You do know that the Queen and Prince charles travel alot, so ofcourse its stressful especially when they have to look after two hectic boys.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should have more power actually, it's nice to have a leader that builds up a long term relationship with a country and doesn't lie or pander to voters...I mean sure you have the occassional idiot monarch, but I think we can agree that there's been a much higher proportion of idiot MPs xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatal_Microbes)
    And yet it is merely one person. the pop of this country is 70million.
    70 million vs 1, I know who would win in a fight.

You would think that a rebellion would be sucessful and we'd have an elected elite ruler of the nation?
    70 million vs 2 at least, because I'd fight for the crown and so would many others.

Why should one person rule? You find me one person that is the greatest in the fields of mathematics, media,medicine, skateboarding, physics, chemistry, etc etc etc

Surely a governing body of the proven elites of all fields would be better than a single ruling entity with no prerequisit.

And yet you're right, the monachy has some how survived...
    You are over rationalising, people are not robots, the system you suggest is horribly bland and uninspiring, who would you declare allegiance to? Who would you fight for? People are emotional and collectively immensely stupid, they need a single figure to unify and galvanise them.

Yes I am aware of how fascistic that sounds.

ReputationRep:
    Erm.... so you want to remove the monarchy for stress-related issues?:curious: Why are they causing you to be stressed? Live next door to 'em or something? The korgi's been peeing in your front garden again?? :p:

So just because you don't know what the monarchy do (which is a hell of a lot if you look at it,) you want to get rid of them?

As an example, here's a typical day in the life of the Queen.

All the best mate

ReputationRep:
    I would say this, but nay nay nay. People complain about spongers, just look at the royal family for ***** sake they do bugger all except drink tea and look at horse races all day yet they get ********* of money and a massive palace to live in.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't the monarch have power to veto any decision made by the government houses?

Personally, why should birthrite mean that they have any power, thats like if 2 doctors were to copulate and their child was sadly disabled but was made a doctor and allowed to treat people regardless despite having no medical knowledge or the capcity to gain such.
    She has that power but by convention it is very rarely used, the Queen won't just stop a Bill and technicaly the Queen doesn't sign the Bills herself civil servants do it on her behalf.

As far as I can remember the entire time we've had the system as it is it's been used just twice.

Having said that though, I don't believe in the Monarchy, I think it's an outdated instiution that has no real bearing on the country, I would much rather the money used (albeit a small amount in comparison to other things) went into something more beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    People are emotional and collectively immensely stupid, they need a single figure to unify and galvanise them.
    Sums up life pretty much.
    People vote BNP
    People buy **** from adverts.
    People don't understand that they were created to benefit society and 1 ultimately ruler is exactly the same as believing in god.
    Why we are here? I don't know
    What is our purpose? I don't know
    Were we created by a supreme entity? I don't know

But why should A single family claim power because they are descendents of whoever?
    I am descendent of William the Conqueror, do I claim to be special
    ? No, Every generation should choose who they want to be in power, surely the person who saves the most lives, does the best for society,

Lets look at the Royals and their Gse/A-level results, many people out perform them, yet regardless they are going to influence the country even though they are inferior to many of the general populace.

ReputationRep:
    Yay for Queen but nay for "King Charles" :yucky: he will also be ugly on coins and banknotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    As an example, here's a typical day in the life of the Queen.
    A bit of paperwork and a few meetings? Sounds like around a standard office job to me, just with meeting people with more stature. In any case they don't deserve all they get.
    Edit: I missed the afternoon and evening, however it still doesn't look like they do much except PR. The queen is still a useless and expensive entity

ReputationRep:
    But why should A single family claim power because they are descendents of whoever?
    I am descendent of William the Conqueror, do I claim to be special
    ? No, Every generation should choose who they want to be in power, surely the person who saves the most lives, does the best for society,

Lets look at the Royals and their Gse/A-level results, many people out perform them, yet regardless they are going to influence the country even though they are inferior to many of the general populace.
    I don't know, it is not rational. However it is a system that came to be, and works. Regardless of merit or circumstance your monarch is your ruler and is to be revered and obeyed.

ReputationRep:
    the monarchy do anything wrong except bring money through tourism.
    Yeah pointless, but like, its not like its causing us masses of grief - not many places still have their monarchy it would be a shame to lose a tradition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    Yay for Queen but nay for "King Charles" :yucky: he will also be ugly on coins and banknotes.
    I think it is becoming increasingly likely that the crown will be passed straight to William.

ReputationRep:
    And yet it is merely one person. the pop of this country is 70million.
    70 million vs 1, I know who would win in a fight.

You would think that a rebellion would be sucessful and we'd have an elected elite ruler of the nation?

Why should one person rule? You find me one person that is the greatest in the fields of mathematics, media,medicine, skateboarding, physics, chemistry, etc etc etc

Surely a governing body of the proven elites of all fields would be better than a single ruling entity with no prerequisit.

And yet you're right, the monachy has some how survived...
    We have a constitutional monarchy. The Queen doesn't go around the country running everything. In practice, that isn't usually what happens anyway. CEO's of business rarely know much about the business at all, they just advise and are able to have a sort of direction. We have the greatest in medicine, physics, media, mathematics, warfare doing what they need to do. You don't need a leader to be the best at everything. That isn't what they're there for.

ReputationRep:
    Keep. I like the history and the tradition that the monarchy brings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    I don't know, it is not rational. However it is a system that came to be, and works. Regardless of merit or circumstance your monarch is your ruler and is to be revered and obeyed.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha

No.

Why should we obey because we're told, they haven't proved they are capable of anything so why obey?
    That is pretty ignorant tbh.

We respect our teachers because they know more than us/lived the life we're going through up until that point
    But the monarch has past no tests, has under gone no training
    And as such are not at the forefront of any field. except the fact they are of noble birth.

As stated above who cares if you are born of 2 doctors, that doesn't make you a doctor.
    So why should the offspring of a leader be the next leader by definition without them having any skills?

ReputationRep:
    keep- the queen is so cute, shes the type of old lady i'd say good afternoon to in the cheese section in asda

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.