Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I was wondering if I would be able to move my Sky box from one room to another without the need for any telephone connections etc.

At the moment, I have a Sky box (Not Sky+) downstairs, and I was hoping to move it up into my room for Sunday. All I want to do is watch programmes for that Sunday and Monday, then i'll be taking it downstairs, so nothing will be charged to my Sky Box (via telephone lines etc)
    I was wondering do you HAVE to connect the sky box to a telephone line when its in use or can I just use it as normal?

I do have a telephone line available in my room, but I think its for a different phone number, so if I were to connect my Sky box to that telephone line, would that make any difference? (Assuming the telephone line in my room works :o: )

Thanks for any help.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you don't need to make any telephone connections then skip the telephone socket, I'd imagine it would work without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    If you don't need to make any telephone connections then skip the telephone socket, I'd imagine it would work without it.
    Hmm I might just try and connect it tomorow, and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, I have a feeling i'll 'cba' to take it downstairs /:

ReputationRep:
    yes it will work without it being connected to a telephone socket, but obviously you can't order any box office or use the interactive services....

ReputationRep:
    also the main thing you need to ensure is that it remains connected to the dish (obviosuly)

ReputationRep:
    I have an ariel in my loft and a wire coming down from there to my room.
    However, when I connect it to my TV (with channels 1-5 atm), I get absolute s**t connection and can hardly see whats actually on the screen /:
    Will this be the same for my Sky connection?

Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHoly1)
    However, when I connect it to my TV (with channels 1-5 atm), I get absolute s**t connection and can hardly see whats actually on the screen /:

Thanks again
    No. Your Sky box will be recieving the signal from the Dish for all channels, including the free to air ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    No. Your Sky box will be recieving the signal from the Dish for all channels, including the free to air ones.
    Thanks for clearing that up (:

ReputationRep:
    when you had sky installed, you had the dish put outside, and a cable (only 1, since its a sky box) to where you wanted the sky box.
    you will need this when you move the box, because without it, you will get the obvious message no satellite signal being received

you could get something like this:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29537

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHoly1)

Thanks again
    If it's a terestrial Antenna in your Attic (which it sounds like if you're using it for get analogue 1-5) it's not going to work with a sky box (which get's it's signal from a satellite)

If you want to get other channels you'll need a digi box (freeview) However if you've got a really bad signal on analogue you probably wont get anything on digital. You probably need to look at making sure the Antenna points in the right direction, is in the right band group for your area, and has good coax to your TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    If it's a terestrial Antenna in your Attic (which it sounds like if you're using it for get analogue 1-5) it's not going to work with a sky box (which get's it's signal from a satellite)

If you want to get other channels you'll need a digi box (freeview)
    However if you've got a really bad signal on analogue you probably wont get anything on digital. You probably need to look at making sure the Antenna points in the right direction, is in the right band group for your area, and has good coax to your TV.
    huh?
    he wants to move the sky box
    his tv could have freeview built in
    digibox = sky box

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    huh?
    he wants to move the sky box
    his tv could have freeview built in
    digibox = sky box
    The OP was talking about the signal from his TV aerial being weak on channels 1-5 which leads to the assumption he currently doesn't have digital tv. A poor analogue signal is going to mean digital terestrial is unlikely to work.

If the sky box is being used in a different room then he's going to need to connect it to the dish to recieve a suitable signal. A Terestrial Aerial isn't going to provide the right sort of signal for the dish input on the sky box. So the options are to move the dish connection upstairs or fix things so the terestrial aerial works.

The actual answer probably depends what the OP wanted to achieve. If he want's to watch content pre-recorded on the sky box then moving it up stairs will work (but why then ask about aerials). If he wants to watch something that's on a standard digital channel then moving the sky box and dish connection upstairs or fixing the terrestrial aerial and using a terestial digibox (could be in the TV) will both work. I suggested that I believe is likely to be best and cheapest longer term. If he wants content that's live on sky only then he'll have to move the sky box and dish connection.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.