Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've asked this a few people but have yet to get a final answer.

Do the Top Law Schools in the US prefer students that already have a law degree, like a British LLB, or would it be more sensible to apply with a rather non-law degree such as biology, psychology etc. to set yourself apart from others?
    I'm sure it's important to get top grades for your undergrad degree but still, I'm wondering if the subject matters.

For that matter, do I have greater chances of getting hired by a big US law firm when I bring knowledge from engineering, medicine or accounting? Or is it the JD that matters?

thanks for any helpful comments! :-)

ReputationRep:
    i recently asked a NYU and georgetown educated finance lawyer this very same question. he said that your undergraduate degree as well as possible work experience prior to attending law school are extremely important. he said that if his undergraduate degree had not been in finance and if he hadnt worked in this field for 18 months, his current employer (a medium-sized US law firm) wouldnt have hired him.

so i guess in your case it woul be wiser to study sth like economics or finance at a reputable uni in the UK, then work in the city for some time and THEN apply to a law school in the US.

however, personally i dont think that this makes any sense. i mean just go for a regular LLB at a renowned UK unversity and you'll be fine. why pay an extra 40.000$ for a JD and an uncertain future in the US?

by the way, i am (chinese-)german and i also applied to various unis in the uk for law. would be interesting to know your abitur & LNAT grades as well as the unis you applied to

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your answer!

well, I had the plan to do an MBA/JD joint degree after the LLB. So that should make up for a double law degree right? So do you, or anyone else for that matter, think a LLB + JD will be disadvantageous? It's too late to apply for another type of bachelor in the UK. I could still apply for German bachelors, though, but I don't like finance or the German BWL. Really don't wanna study it for the next three years.

yeah I think working and THEN going to do a JD is pointless. well, it would be much more than 40k. it's 40k for one year! so u think an LLB from UCL should do the job? I don't necessarily wanna stay in the UK but wouldn't mind making myself known for a few years. But I really wanna live and practice in the US later. Also don't you think you can earn much more in the US than in the UK?

So do you have a Abitur? From what state? my abi grade was 1.4 from RLP. I was exempted from the LNAT since the country I'm currently working at doesn't have a service point. Applied to LSE, UCL, Oxford, UnEd and King's. Havn't heard back from all but will def go to UCL since I got an unconditional offer for Law with advanced studies. In case I go to the UK rather than Germany.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think an LLB from UCL would be disadvantageous...i mean its an extremely well-respected uni after all. however, i dont think you the fulfilment of your dream to practice in the US would necessarily require you to get a JD. an LLM+NY Bar Exam and the right area of specilization should also be enough.. .

i have an 1.6 abitur from saarland and a score of 21 in the LNAT. i applied to southampton, warwick, lse, ucl, kings for law with a year in hong kong/singapore. so far i have and "unsuccessful" from LSE and and "unconditional" from southampton... .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renjie)
    i dont think an LLB from UCL would be disadvantageous...i mean its an extremely well-respected uni after all. however, i dont think you the fulfilment of your dream to practice in the US would necessarily require you to get a JD. an LLM+NY Bar Exam and the right area of specilization should also be enough.. .

i have an 1.6 abitur from saarland and a score of 21 in the LNAT. i applied to southampton, warwick, lse, ucl, kings for law with a year in hong kong/singapore. so far i have and "unsuccessful" from LSE and and "unconditional" from southampton... .
    There are many, many threads in this forum about practising in the US. Most top US firms require a JD and the bar exam. To take the NY Bar Exam and qualify without a JD requires substantial experience. They're much more likely to take a student with a JD than a foreign-qualified lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that's true about NY, I guess.
    haha Saarland. We're old enemies after all! Ex orrer Saarlaenner I once had a girlfriend from saarbruecken.

but the singapore thing is with UCL right? does king's offer that too? which one would you like best?

ReputationRep:
    southampton and UCL both offer exchanges to HKU or NUS... . i think i ll end up at southampton as i got an "unsuccessful" from UCL today. :-(

kings offers a double degree program with HKU by the way..

ReputationRep:
    what do HKU and NUS stand for? are they good in regard to global competition?

sorry about UCL man. but they have 1.5 as minimum anyways! and king's 1.3. heard back from king's tho?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renjie)
    southampton and UCL both offer exchanges to HKU or NUS... . i think i ll end up at southampton as i got an "unsuccessful" from UCL today. :-(

kings offers a double degree program with HKU by the way..
    renjie?

ReputationRep:
    oh sorry

Hong Kong University and National University of Singapore. both are well-regarded institutions as far as i know. well havent heard back from kings yet... .

ReputationRep:
    me neither. what takes them so long?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.