Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Previous Part-time HNC means no funding for 1st year degree at Uni watch

ReputationRep:
    I have looked but can't seem to find others with the same complaint as me and I could really do with some advice as I have an appeal going on with Student Finance England.

I did a HNC part-time for 2 years; Student Finance are counting this part-time course as 2 of my 4 year entitlement to being funded. I didn't realize that a HNC is Higher Education; I thought I was just doing similar to A-levels as a mature student. This means I not only have to pay the fees for Uni of £3225 but they won't allow me a loan.

So far I have appealed twice and believe the 3rd stage appeal is to be looked at by an outside resource. The Uni wanted the fees by 31st Jan, but due to the appeal, they wrote asking for just over £800 for 4 months. I have paid one installment, but don't have the money for Feb, March and April.

To be honest if I knew before I started Uni that I couldn't get a loan for this year, let alone a grant; I would not of started the course. I'm now worried I will really start to go into debt/ or be forced to leave and not continue my education.

Should a part-time HNC not be counted as 1 year of full-time funding? It doesn't seem fare!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter what we think! You really should have done your homework.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ... really helpful NOT !!

As far as homework goes; I did and everyone was saying if not a grant I'd get a loan ... but no loan! I didn't know it was common knowledge that loans were not available!

I didn't have much time to decide as I was meant to be doing 2 year HNC part-time, followed by another year to make into a HND. Unfortunately the council didn't fund the HND and didn't tell us it wasn't running till June!

Should of done the City & Guilds course; a friend of mine did and now at Uni being paid a grant for maintenance and a grant for fees: both not to be paid back!!

ReputationRep:
    there are charity's that you could contact. i know some one who got 1000 cos he explained he was struggling and would ave to give up if he didnt get help.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I have heard this. It may be worth trying, if only for a loan I could pay back.
    I'm hoping something will come of my appeal, however can't see the government changing their new rules!

ReputationRep:
    The rules you didn't understand? What's new about them?

ReputationRep:
    the charitys dont do loans there grants an they are non re payable try them it cant hurt

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.