Turn on thread page Beta

becoming a barrister after a maths degree watch

ReputationRep:
    can this be done with a conversion course or is maths degree too different from law, sorry i'm completely ignorant in this matter, all feedback is much appreciated, cheers

ReputationRep:
    any first degree is fine as a starting point. (uni, grades, Ecs, Experience, Personality aside) all a degree is is a couple of years saying you can learn, people falsely think "oh I studies physics I am a scientist". Without expereince a degree is just a bit of paper. So as a simplistic answer maths is not a problem

ReputationRep:
    Yes, maths is fine as long as you get a 2.2 minimum.

Then you need to do the GDL (conversion course) which is one year long and studies the 7 core modules of an undergraduate law degree.

After which you will need to undertake the BPTC (previously the BVC) which is also one year and teaches you the more practical aspects of a career as a barrister such as advocacy and negotiation skills.

Finally, you will need to secure a pupillage (one year training in a set of chambers) and this is very competitive

If you want to ask anything else, feel free to pm me - I am currently studying the GDL with the intention of doing the BPTC in September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legaleagle87)

Then you need to do the GDL (conversion course) which is one year long and studies the 7 core modules of an undergraduate law degree.

After which you will need to undertake the BPTC (previously the BVC) which is also one year and teaches you the more practical aspects of a career as a barrister such as advocacy and negotiation skills.

Finally, you will need to secure a pupillage (one year training in a set of chambers) and this is very competitive

If you want to ask anything else, feel free to pm me - I am currently studying the GDL with the intention of doing the BPTC in September
    What's your undergrad degree in? Just wondering, I'm already doing Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legaleagle87)
    I'd advise against anyone trying to enter law with a 2:ii. You might be allowed in the GDL or BPTC with a 2:ii. They won't let you anywhere near a pupillage or TC with a 2:ii, unless you're the next best thing since Jesus Christ. You really need a 2:i to have a snowball's chance in hell.

ReputationRep:
    True but gestation was only asking whether they can do a conversion course.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.