Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni drop-out- re-apply late for English in 2010 or wait until 2011? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I've recently left Surrey uni where I was studying Psychology because it just wasn't for me. Really want a degree but not sure what in. Got ABB in Psychology, French & English Lit but basically ruled out French & English Lit for degrees as I didn't put enough work in and consequently lost interest in them. However when I think about my academic career, I always come back to English. Have forgotten SO much from A level though. I know it sounds irrational but I'm really not ready to enter the workplace, and I'd feel much more confident having a degree behind me.

I desperately want to go back to uni in 2010 because I feel that if I don't, I'll never go to uni again although obviously applying for 2011 would give me much more time...however I don't know that I could face being 20 when I start. Won't it make things difficult in terms of getting a reference if I apply for 2011? I did talk through refereces with my personal tutor at Surrey and she said she'd be able to give me one even for 2011 entry but it will only reflect what I was like at Surrey, and if I'm just working part-time (in a job completely unrelated to any potential degree), with no contact with academic staff like I had at college, how do I go about getting a decent reference??

Are there any foolproof ways of getting onto English courses? And where are some reasonable places to apply to i.e. not too competitive but with a reasonable reputation, in the South/Midlands area?

Thanks for any constructive advice

ReputationRep:
    If you're still not sure about what you want to apply to I'd say take the year out and have a think. If your main worry is that you might just never go to uni well...is that such a bad thing? If you find something you want to do in your year out and you're happy then you're not missing much by not having a degree.

Only apply for English if you're sure it's what you really, really want to do, or you run the risk of dropping out all over again.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd apply late and see what offers I get. If I don't like the offers I receive then I'd apply in 2010 for 2011. That way you have the best chance of going somewhere good/where you want to go.

Reasonable place to go are St Andrews, Kent, Leicester, Southhampton, Bristol, Glasgow, Queen Mary, Hull, Newcastle, Warwick, Royal Holloway, Liverpool, Sheffield etc..
    With the grades you have you are likely to get into a really good uni. Check out the ranking for English

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...30&y=15&sub=25

I hope that helps you
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    English is quite a competitive subject to do at degree level, especially in top universities - I have friends who are predicted A's (in both English lit and lang) at A Level, and are being turned down to do English. And if you are going to be doing it for 3 years and paying £3,000 per year, you want to make sure you are making the right decision. I would wait until 2011, go on open days, choose your favourite university and do a course that you want to do - rather than to get a place at somewhere you aren't so sure about through clearing. The university you get your degree at is just as important as the degree - get the best you can I reckon

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in a simular situation to you in that I'm reapplying to do English in 2010 except I already did two years of an English degree before but I had to pull out. If you want to go to most of the places unknown mentioned I would leave applying now and retake some modules and get your grades up to AAB if not AAA. I've spent the best part of ages looking at English degrees lately and the only uni's that have both an excellent English department and overall rep that you'll be able to get into with ABB will be Aberdeen, and maybe QMUL and Queens Belfast. St Andrews, Bristol, Southampton, Newcastle etc are all pretty much AAA if not AAB for English.
    Don't be worried about being 20 when you start a degree the extra year or two older you'll be most of the your year will make no difference whatsoever trust me.
    Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    Its not to late to apply, I applied last week & I already offered an unconditional place

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.