Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mum throws out all my stuff - how to get her to stop Watch

i absolutley hate this 'nothing on show' thing. my parents are like that, although not quite as bad as yours though. i have sympathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    i did read the thread and my opinion still stands, you should have put it away, it takes less than 1 min to walk (or run) to your room and put it in a draw, you would hardly have had to miss your lesson

stop being a brat and follow the house rules or move out
    I'm too young to move out, plus I wouldn't have the money even if I was, also there was a lot of stuff to put away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow-Dream)
    I'm too young to move out, plus I wouldn't have the money even if I was, also there was a lot of stuff to put away.

maybe thats why she wanted it put away then cause there was a lot of it, you should have either put it away earlier or made time to do it before you left, like i say follow her rules or leave, simple as

btw 17 isnt too young to move out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottielottie)
    I know everyone is posting telling you to tidy up, and I'm sure you do make an effort, but maliciously throwing away something you KNOW someone NEEDS, knowing that they have a more complicated, busy life than you do is incredibly disrespectful. Go live with your Dad. Or just threaten to and hope it all comes out in the wash.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    maybe thats why she wanted it put away then cause there was a lot of it, you should have either put it away earlier or made time to do it before you left, like i say follow her rules or leave, simple as

btw 17 isnt too young to move out
    Just give up. *Sighs...*
    My parents won't let me get a job anyway. Plus if you're under 18 you'd need to get permission from both parents to move out and mine wouldn't. Plus hardly anyone does that at 17.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the OP needs to grow up (ok, ok, she's just 17). I don't support her mother's way of educating her - throwing away school stuff is surely an advanced strategy after many long disagreements about the topic before. She did so last year already? The OP should have learned her lesson then.

ReputationRep:
    My parents have the opposite problem lol they keep everything, even scrap bits of paper and things that are clearly for the bin :rolleyes:

Yeah, you'll probably just have to keep everything in your room. That's really extreme though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvenStevens)
    Jeeze, tinkerbell, you're being a bit high and mighty aren't ya.

It can't take her mother 2 seconds to realise it's a piece of work or something important and NOT throw it away...
    Probably period time.

ReputationRep:
    Just give up. *Sighs...*
    My parents won't let me get a job anyway. Plus if you're under 18 you'd need to get permission from both parents to move out and mine wouldn't. Plus hardly anyone does that at 17.

wrong, thats when you are 16

http://www.childline.org.uk/EXPLORE/...es/Rights.aspx

Age 16
    - You can leave home with your parents' consent, or without it if you are leaving an abusive or neglectful situation.

Age 17
    - You can leave home without your parents' consent.

Age 18
    - You can apply for a mortgage, and own houses and land.

you need to get your facts right tbh

ReputationRep:
    wrong, thats when you are 16

http://www.childline.org.uk/EXPLORE/...es/Rights.aspx

you need to get your facts right tbh
    You need to get some common sense.

Oh and it's 17 to leave home without parents' consent, not 16. Yes I am 17 but your idea is ridiculous. Also you can't apply for a mortgage until you're 18 or buy property.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueshoes123)
    My parents have the opposite problem lol they keep everything, even scrap bits of paper and things that are clearly for the bin :rolleyes:

Yeah, you'll probably just have to keep everything in your room. That's really extreme though.
    The point was it was in my room. My parents have separated so my mum has to share a room with me (not enough room). There are four bedrooms but 5 in the house and one is used as an office so it's a bit tight for space.

ReputationRep:
    You need to get some common sense.

Oh and it's 17 to leave home without parents' consent, not 16. Yes I am 17 but your idea is ridiculous. Also you can't apply for a mortgage until you're 18 or buy property.
    This confuses me. Aren't you repeating exactly what tinktinktinkerbell just said as if she never said it?

I moved out when I was 17. I went on income support until I was 18 when I went on job seekers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, and my mum is very fussy about how she wants things in the house. "Nothing on show (practically) and everything in files in drawers" etc. I was in a rush yesterday morning finding my college planner and threw all my class sheets and notes in the air knowing my mum would have moved my planner because it was probably left on the side. When I came home from college that day I asked her if she could leave my stuff and that it would be tidy soon enough. I started putting sheets and stuff I didn't need in a bag to take to the bin, then went out (piano lesson, swimming, the usual) and had a pile of work to do so said I'd do it the next day, only to my surprise she had already taken my stuff and chucked all of it (including the stuff I needed) into the bin.
    When I'd asked her (calmly) where she'd put my stuff, she said she hadn't done anything and just put the bag of stuff I wanted to get rid of out, but after an hour of trying to find my AS Maths notes and instructions for my graphic calculator (that thing cost £38) I found them in the bin. :mad: I called her a liar (I was kinda annoyed) and just don't feel I can trust her. She did this to me last year chucking out some english and art c/w I had to start again.
    I'm not even a messy person, however I feel she's sometimes deliberately trying to wind me up. How can I get her to stop? I find it gets me more stressed over work. Now I have to ask my friends for their notes from maths since December...
    im 17 and my mum always "tidies up" my stuff
    i put it back how it was asap. it does the job.

ReputationRep:
    OCD mothers. gahh. just shout.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore tinkerbell. she is just retarded..
    Your NOT a brat and I definitely think there's a problem. Is there any way you can keep your stuff somewhere where its inaccessible to your mother? My little brother used 2 take my school books and courseworks and draw all over them and stuff, and my dad bought me a cabinet which i could put all of my stuff inside and LOCK.
    Either, lock your room (that'll really p*** her off) or get or borrow a cabinet of somesort (or even a suitcase) and put everything inside.. and lock it. I'd absolutely hate it if my stuff got thrown away for something silly like this! I mean we all have times when we're in a rush and just leave clutter around...it really should still be there when u get back! afterall, it is your home too.

good luck! xx

ReputationRep:
    Its only some notes, if anything, re-writing them would actually help you pass.

ReputationRep:
    Throw her in the bin imo.

ReputationRep:
    leave stuff around the house but cover it in superglue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steeler4life)
    Throw some of her important stuff out, see how she likes it.
    This. Then make a video of her reaction and post it on XTube YouTube.

ReputationRep:
    Chunky lock on the door? Keep her away from your space! Shes being childish.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.