Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I am interested in a career in Investment Management, Banking, etc. I have a long-term vision of running a fund at an Investment Management firm, I have the work ethic and I believe intellect to do so. I am also open to other ideas such as a career in risk management for a city bank, insurance underwriter, etc.

I am due to graduate this year most likely with a 1st in Maths and Financial Economics from Dundee University. I never really impressed in school as I missed most of my 5th year with a bad sporting injury. Although I have worked exceptionally hard at University, winning awards (maths medal, etc) and now run an Investment Club.

I am still looking for jobs in this sector and am still waiting to hear back from some applications, obviously BB firms are out of the question. I still have my heart set on such a career and a fully focussed to do so. What advice would you give to make sure I can realise this career ambition?

I have thoughts of studying for a Msc Finance at a higher ranked University would this be a good idea? I was thinking St Andrews or Durham? They seem to have more reasonable prices without ploughing myself into horrendous debt.

ReputationRep:
    I heard Lehman Brothers are recruiting?

ReputationRep:
    I think a masters is a good shout. Alternatively, a mate of mine went to a lower ranked uni (got a 2.1) and so applied to the recruitment agencies and got a fair bit of BO/MO temping which has helped him put a truly stunning CV together. Can't remember the agency he went through, but another example would be Michael Page

ReputationRep:
    Check out Alliance Trust, they are based in Dundee, a FTSE listed investment trust company, they tend to recruit a lot of Scots. They have a grad programme that aims to push you into equity research or fund management.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.