Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bit of info first:

I'm 20 years old, 6'1/2 and weigh almost 10 and a half stone. I have between 18.5 and 19 BMI so I'm classed as healthy weight. About a year and a bit ago though I was quite a bit underweight. (weighed between 9 and 9 and a half stone I think) - so a BMI of ~ 16-16.5. I wasn't starving myself or anything though by any stretch, I just really struggled to put on weight.

Anyway the past few weeks I can't seem to stop eating..so much so that it's a running joke almost in the group of friends I hang around with how I'm always saying "I'm starving"

I'm spending on average at least £7 a day on food, and that's when I don't go out and get a burger/pizza (which often times I do even when I don't go out so the £7 is probably a genorous amount) - I do eat out quite a lot but even when I do buy stuff from supermarkets I just spend it so quickly. As an example of how much I eat: The other week in the space of 4 hours (from 8pm to 12) I had chicken fried rice takeaway (which is really for 2 ppl), 4 pink wafers, a chicken sandwich, 2 pieces of toast, a big dairy milk w/caramel bar and then a yoghurt and a creme egg. Within another hour I was hungry again but just decided to resist any food before I went to bed.

OK, so is this normal? I'm not too worried about putting on weight. It just seems to be impossible - plus I do a lot of exercise. I can also afford to spend that much money on food per day but I'd rather not have to cause the money I do have isn't going to last forever!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try doing about 5 minutes research into basic nutrition and eat healthily...
    ...have you heard of vegetables, because from your op you don't like you eat any.
    Also see:nuts, seeds, pulses, fruits etc.

ReputationRep:
    one word: nutrition.

ReputationRep:
    OK yeh I already know I need to eat more healthily. I'm not putting on weight or getting ill because of it. I'm not really a fan of much veg (except sweetcorn, peas and carrots) and also with the fact that I eat out a lot during the day due to my friends all living at home (and hence needing to eat out aswell) it's kind of hard to make room for some veg.

I love most fruits tho. I should probably try and eat more of them... will it actually help me feel less hungry though? I mean it's not exactly like the stuff I was eating was food not likely to fill you up.

ReputationRep:
    Just put more peas in your food. Peas go with everything! I don't know about being hungry, but make your own food, and stop going to takeaways. I remember reading somewhere that cooking makes you LESS hungry because you're more prepared for food in your stomach (this is something to do with your nervous system creating hormones to be released in your stomach causing acid secretion). So try doing a bit of cooking

ReputationRep:
    Try filling yourself up with liquids instead.

ReputationRep:
    I think the rate of our metabolism changes throughout our lifetimes.
    I used to be ridiculously hungry like you, eating basically constantly when I was inside the house (but not when I was out, that was too expensive/unhealthy for me). This was when I was in high school and my friends would joke about it too, especially at lunch times when I would ask the dinner ladies for a bit extra and then also eat my friends' left overs... I was a very small child (shortest in the year) with a completely disaproportionate appetite.

But I don't think it is anything to worry about or anything unhealthy as long as you are eating relatively healthy foods and not gaining weight. I used to eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. I'd do things like warm up leftovers from the night before (from my family, I couldn't do this if I lived alone because I didn't leave any left overs myself), which would be a pretty well balanced meal of vegetables, carbs and protein. I'd also make things like soups, large bowls of cous cous with tomato sauce and chopped cooked vegetables, baby carrots cooked until soft dipped in Total Greek yoghurt, omelettes, simply cooked fish (rainbow trout or sole usually), pasta with tomato sauce and whatever else was handy at the time which could go with it. Then for things that didn't need preparation I'd just eat fruit (berries, apples, pears, peaches, plums, clementines etc. Just anything ready to eat), yoghurts, nuts, tins of asparagus, tins of smoked oysters and of course some of the junk around the house too, because I was starving and it was handy - crips, chocolate, cakes, biscuits. But I conciously tried to limit that.
    Then for supper my parents would cook extra things just for me - extra vegetables and potatoes. I still got the same portion of meat as everyone else though, because that was more expensive. Vegetables are a fairly cheap way to bulk out any meal.

I was eating a lot basically... But just make sure it's healthy and I don't think there's a problem. I was a big drain on my family's fridge, I am glad my hunger has died down now that I'm buying my own food!

Hi it's normal to spend that much on food I think I do anyway. Try and eat healthier you will stay full for longer.

ReputationRep:
    I think you may be doing more activity than you're aware of and thus burning more calories.
    I know this sounds fad-ish but buy stuff that's 'low GI' and I promise it will make you more full. Do you like stuff like porridge? Because a huge bowl of that will keep you fuller than other things. Eggs are really good for keeping you full as well.

It's not like you're overweight and not everything you're eating is junk. But try to keep in mind that the more nutritious the food, the more likely it is to keep you full.

Also, on a more gross note, go to the doctors as you may have tapeworm. Or an over-active thyroid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diomedes)
    Hi it's normal to spend that much on food I think I do anyway. Try and eat healthier you will stay full for longer.
    Is it really? I'm pretty sure even £7 is above average spending on food a day, and when I said £7 it's kind of a minimum that I spend.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Something I forgot to point out aswell is that I never skipped breakfast once before coming to Uni but now I'm missing it all the time. I've figured that might be having a big impact, so I'm going to start making sure I get some!
    Also, on a more gross note, go to the doctors as you may have tapeworm. Or an over-active thyroid.
    hmm, I've looked up the symptons from these and I really don't think I have any of them.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes the 'I'm hungry' feeling actually means 'I'm thirsty', try drinking more water, it should help fill you up, at least a little!

ReputationRep:
    fat *******. :P

ReputationRep:
    Keep of ready meals and branded products. That is why it is costing you a lot. If you buy raw ingredients especially value stuff, and cook your own food from scratch you will feel better, and save a lot of money.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.