Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ges Competition Commission watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

anyone interviewed with the competition commission before?
    what kind of preparation one should do for this interview?

any tips would be appreciated...thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've got an interview with the GES Treasury for the summer scheme 2010. I've been told what to expect at the interview but not sure what to specifically prepare for either, don't know if it'll be the same as yours?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in the same boat, although my interview is with the Department for Work and Pensions. What did they tell you to expect? I wonder if it differs from department to department...

When is your interview?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if it differs from department to department, I've been told I'll have a pannel interview with at least one economist and a test before it.. what did they tell you to expect?? Interviews in a couple of weeks time on friday! When's yours?

ReputationRep:
    They didn't mention anything about a test to me.

I've been told I'll be interviewed by 2 people and that it'll be split into general questions based on the competencies they look for and economics questions to 'test your knowledge and application of the basic principles of micro and macroeconomics' Also said they will ask me to talk a bit about my choosen area of economics.

I'm really quite nervous about it! My interview is in 2 weeks so at least there is time to prepare!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh same, I've been told i'll be interviewed by 2 people.. with at least one economist... and wow lol.. I guess you won't have a test then, i've been told i will just before the actual interview! Do you know how many stages there are to the application??

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware it's just the interview.

I read that they stopped taking applications when they received 160 as they had 40 placements and wanted the applicants to have a reasonable chance and they would have lost some at the sift stage so there should be a reasonable chance if we do well at the interview stage...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh hopefully! - Oh, that's ok then if it's just the interview, I know if you apply properly (not as a student) theres like an interview, assessment centre and an etray.. loads of stages for that! How's your preparation for the interview going? I hope we do get into it!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I don't really know where to start so so far I've just been arranging my travel to London! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh same here! It's a bit hard to know what to prepare!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

good to see that other people are in the same boat...
    is everyone having an interview with the competition commission?
    I have been told I will have an interview, but no date yet...i need to wait for an email from them...

you got the date already in the interview email?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

No mine's with the Treasury.. yeh they did that to me too, told me that I will be contacted about the possibility of an interview, but I got my date last Friday in an email from the Treasury department themselves.. maybe the competition commission department hasn't sorted it out yet, I'm sure you'll get an email soon!

ReputationRep:
    were you told what to expect in the interview in terms of micro/macro questions?

good luck with your preparation!

ReputationRep:
    No I wasn't unfortunately! Was just told that I'd be tested on my Economics and have a short test before it.. so it's hard to know what to prepare! Thanks, good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    How are you getting on with your preperation? I think I've prepared for the general questions as best as I can, just worried about the economics ones now! Feeling rather stressed!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lev89)
    hey guys

good to see that other people are in the same boat...
    is everyone having an interview with the competition commission?
    I have been told I will have an interview, but no date yet...i need to wait for an email from them...

you got the date already in the interview email?
    Have you had your interview yet? How'd it go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Easywellyes)
    Have you had your interview yet? How'd it go?

not yet...when is your interview? do you know what it consists of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lev89)
    not yet...when is your interview? do you know what it consists of?
    I haven't got an interview with them. I was just interested in yours.

ReputationRep:
    did you apply to the GES as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lev89)
    did you apply to the GES as well?
    No.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.