Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I would like to know whether universities prefer students with economics A level, to study it at university. I am thinking of studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Geography at A level. Will these still be attractive and fulfill necessary requirements for business-related courses like economics or should i study economics instead of Geography?
    Many Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Take economics at A level.
    That way, you can get a feel of what it is about.

ReputationRep:
    I would say drop one of the sciences for Economics. You really don't need two, Chemistry I've heard can be extremely hard, so I would drop that but it really depends on which one you enjoy more and which one your better at. Keep Geography. Then you have a nice balance of two science and two humanity subjects, which is good for economics, I've heard. I want to take similar subjects; Maths, Biology, Geography and Economics. Maybe a 5th one as well just to take to AS. If you could handle the workload, you could just do all 5 and then drop one (or two)?

If your going for top unis though, apparently further maths is a good bonus. But I'm really not sure. All I know is that often at the top unis, Maths is essential and about two fifths of Cambridge colleges find further maths useful for economics.

ReputationRep:
    Economics, Maths, Further Maths + History/Geography + one more (e.g. language/science)

EDIT:

PS Next time, don't post your topic in more than one section, please

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1174589

ReputationRep:
    I think that these A Levels will be suitable in my unprofessional view :woo:
    Something like history might get you used to the essay-writing content.
    Economics A Level wouldn't be looked down upon, but equally is in no way essential, as far as I have heard.

When it gets to university, the maths content of economics is paramount, so make sure you're ship-shape on this front!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpartanLK)
    Hi. I would like to know whether universities prefer students with economics A level, to study it at university. I am thinking of studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Geography at A level. Will these still be attractive and fulfill necessary requirements for business-related courses like economics or should i study economics instead of Geography?
    Many Thanks.
    For economics at top universities you should take these A levels in order of preference

maths
    economics
    further maths

then

any science bio chem physics
    history geography english languages

if you're thinking of going anywhere in the top 10 for economics, then further maths will put you in a very advantaged position
    economics is becoming a bit of a must take now, i know that its not said anywhere that economics needs to be taken and some places say that you dont need it at all, but a lot of people this year have been rejected probably because they haven't got it and especially for the top 10 unis you should take economics a level so that you know what you're talking about in personal statements, interviews etc. certainly everyone in this years applicants thread take economics!

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    I would say drop one of the sciences for Economics. You really don't need two, Chemistry I've heard can be extremely hard, so I would drop that but it really depends on which one you enjoy more and which one your better at. Keep Geography. Then you have a nice balance of two science and two humanity subjects, which is good for economics, I've heard. I want to take similar subjects; Maths, Biology, Geography and Economics. Maybe a 5th one as well just to take to AS. If you could handle the workload, you could just do all 5 and then drop one (or two)?

If your going for top unis though, apparently further maths is a good bonus. But I'm really not sure. All I know is that often at the top unis, Maths is essential and about two fifths of Cambridge colleges find further maths useful for economics.
    That's a really good point about chemistry, come to think of it.
    Getting the grades is what it's about!

I agree on the further maths point there too - maths is really important at university-level in economics.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Physics, Business and Sociology if possible.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, been great help. Just at my school they only do economics and business studies combined into one alevel. Is this still a good alevel to take?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, been great help. Just at my school they only do economics and business studies combined into one alevel. Is this still a good alevel to take?
    yes do that...as well as maths, further maths (will help with econometrics hugely in uni), and physics

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help. :-) At my school they only offer economics and business studies a level, combined into one. Is this still as good an alevel as economics or geography?

ReputationRep:
    They say a level economics is good preparation for degree level economics, and if you can't study economics at your sixth form, then business studies can be useful too. If its combined that should be fine, if you can't take economics.

ReputationRep:
    without economics a-level u will struggle to understand the basics which is essential in uni...The first undergraduate economics week will review all you have learnt in a-level economics..so without it you WILL find it hard to catch up

ReputationRep:
    Many Thanks.
    1) Look at the sticky theads.
    2) Most of the good unis prefer applicants to have economics A-level.
    3) Very Very competitive to get places at the top 11 places.
    4) Doing Economics A-level makes a lot of sense.
    5)Depending on your academic background and where you are aiming at:
    i) starting a 5th AS-level to let you choose your best 4 for A2 may make sense.
    ii) Doing FM

ReputationRep:
    that is not true at Nottingham they prefer the student not to have economics at A-level because it teaches them 'bad habits'.

However I believe it is essential because without it you will struggle to catch up with the workload at uni

ReputationRep:
    In reality you need Economics and Maths! Someone I know was rejected from Warwick to study Economics and Chinese because he didnt take Economics but Business Studies at A Level even though he had 11A*'s 1A at GCSE and was predicted A*AAA for A Levels. Geography is good and to a certain extent goes very well with Economics so maybe you should consider taking it intsead of one of the sciences

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths , Maths , Economics , Physics and History.
    Easy as you like.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for maths with economics with maths, further maths and biology.

I don't think A-level economics is that helpful for uni economics

maths further maths economics physics history

i think those are the kind of subjects people do for economics

( i do physics biology and history) - poor choices see sig for whats gwarnin with uni

and if you want to study economics at uni it would be hard to explain to a uni why you didnt take it especially if it was offered at your school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_Lost_The_Game)
    I've applied for maths with economics with maths, further maths and biology.

I don't think A-level economics is that helpful for uni economics
    I think A-level economics is very helpful for uni economics:
    i) Good preperation for doing at uni.
    ii) Econ A-level is a prefered subject for Econ Admission Tutors
    iii) Helps write an informed PS.
    look at the sticky threads including TAELT for more information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.