Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpartanLK)
    Thanks for the help. :-) At my school they only offer economics and business studies a level, combined into one. Is this still as good an alevel as economics or geography?
    Better this than nothing. Should be relatively fine, if you will remember to tell you tutor to mention that in your reference, i.e. only Econs + Business available. How about the other subjects, especially Further Maths, is it offered?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dilburt)
    that is not true at Nottingham they prefer the student not to have economics at A-level because it teaches them 'bad habits'.

However I believe it is essential because without it you will struggle to catch up with the workload at uni
    Where did you get this from, i doubt it is true. If someone was truly interested in economics why would they not take it at A level? A level economics isnt perfect but it does lay foundations for further study especially since in the first year you'll effectively be learning most of A level economics. i think those that say its not useful for uni economics are either those who aren't even at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but dont really want to do it

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I would like to know whether universities prefer students with economics A level, to study it at university. I am thinking of studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Geography at A level. Will these still be attractive and fulfill necessary requirements for business-related courses like economics or should i study economics instead of Geography?
    Many Thanks.
    to study economics at a top 10, you need maths + one of: further maths or economics.
    personally if i was going to rechoose ASs (see sig.) i would choose maths, further maths economics, physics and then either philosophy or geography.

from the subjects you put down it seems that you may still want to go into medicine? with the biology and chemistry. that is perfectly fine as long as you do further maths and economics.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but dont really want to do it
    Which universities are you aiming at? Top 10 for Economics and/or Maths will expect prefer applicants to have Further Maths (unless it's not available). Even then, the keener ones can still self-study. Outside top 10 you should be fine without Further Maths though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by goldsilvy)
    Which universities are you aiming at? Top 10 for Economics and/or Maths will expect applicants to have Further Maths (unless it's not available). Even then, the keener ones can still self-study. Outside top 10 you should be fine without Further Maths though.
    I wouldn't say the top 10 expect applicants to have further maths. It is in no way a pre-requisite to University Economics at the top 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I wouldn't say the top 10 expect applicants to have further maths. It is in no way a pre-requisite to University Economics at the top 10.
    they might not expect it but they will definitely prefer it and give credit for it.
    although gcse's are still the biggest factor imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Aye, 'prefer' would have been a better word to use.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be correct to say some Uni's (e.g. Bath) prefer Economics and/or Further Maths and some don't?
    As long as you perform well in respected A-levels you should be in a strong position for applying to Uni, including top 10 institutions.
    After all, I have an offer from Bristol and i don't have economics, or further maths for that matter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sub Zero)
    to study economics at a top 10, you need maths + one of: further maths or economics.
    personally if i was going to rechoose ASs (see sig.) i would choose maths, further maths economics, physics and then either philosophy or geography.

from the subjects you put down it seems that you may still want to go into medicine? with the biology and chemistry. that is perfectly fine as long as you do further maths and economics.
    Yes i am in two minds, whether to go into medicine or something business related like economics. Therefore, as well as doing maths, chemistry, biology i want a subject that will keep my options open- so i thought economics or geography.

ReputationRep:
    that is not true at Nottingham they prefer the student not to have economics at A-level because it teaches them 'bad habits'.
    That is not what they say in their Admissions Strategy document:
    Previous study of Economics is not a necessary condition of entry, though the study of mathematics and/or economics at A-level may be viewed as strengethening an applicant's case.
    https://portal2.nottingham.ac.uk/eco...s-strategy.pdf
    However I believe it is essential because without it you will struggle to catch up with the workload at uni
    I agree.
    So I think Economics A-level helps both to get a place and to do well once at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i am in two minds, whether to go into medicine or something business related like economics. Therefore, as well as doing maths, chemistry, biology i want a subject that will keep my options open- so i thought economics or geography.
    Sub Zero is correct. You should look at 5 not 4 AS-levels if you want a decent chance with top Econ unis. This may also help keep your medicine options open.
    What are your GCSE grade predictions btw?

ReputationRep:
    maths, economic and either english or history - as to give a good mixture of subjects. they'll love it

ReputationRep:
    well if i were you i would choose
    maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, economics
    i have friends that did these at AS that have got offers for medicine and economics (obviously different degrees) from top 5 universities as well

ReputationRep:
    sociology and psychology are both very useful for an economics degree
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by chipchop92)
    'very useful' certainly not, useful probably not, however there are times whilst studying economics you feel your doing a psychology course. I can speak for psychology after talking to many that have done it, that its not what you think its like, its more just cramming case studies and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonlight_freakout)
    maths, economic and either english or history - as to give a good mixture of subjects. they'll love it
    No, for good places only 3 AS=levels would be a poor start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chipchop92)
    No, both those A-level subjects are of less reputation and would not be good choices for an applicant aiming for top 11 TAELT unis.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, Economics & Business (since you cant do straight economics), Geography and Chemistry would be a good combination. If you want to do something medically related, swap out geog for biology. Also, if you like history and physics, they would probably be slightly better options than chem and geog. Mention that you couldn't do straight econ in your reference.

ReputationRep:
    Try to take economics, maths, further maths and something else.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.