Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. umm. basically, i'm definately going to do biology, chemistry maths at Alevel. I am currently studying for Modern Greek A level at Greek school- this will be my 5th Alevel and so i don't really want to do six A levels; do universities like a language at A level? Hopefully i will do well in economics at GCSE and be accepted a place to do economics at A level(or economics and business studies) otherwise i will do Geography which i hope can still keep my options open. So my Alevels look like this: maths, chemistry, biology, Greek, economics(or 'economics and business' if i stay on at my present school). What do you think?
    P.S. I dont really want to do Further Maths Alevel :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine that would be ok, not ideal for applying to economics, but pretty good if you want to keep your options open.
    I did 2 sciences, maths and an essay subject and thought it was a good range, but if you do end up applying for economics and you aim for the very top places you'll be at a disadvantage since you'll be competing with people who have a much more focused range of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpartanLK)
    Thanks everyone. umm. basically, i'm definitely going to do biology, chemistry maths at Alevel. I am currently studying for Modern Greek A level at Greek school- this will be my 5th Alevel and so i don't really want to do six A levels; do universities like a language at A level?
    Depends. Is Greek your mother tongue?

Hopefully i will do well in economics at GCSE and be accepted a place to do economics at A level(or economics and business studies) otherwise i will do Geography which i hope can still keep my options open. So my Alevels look like this: maths, chemistry, biology, Greek, economics(or 'economics and business' if i stay on at my present school). What do you think?
    P.S. I dont really want to do Further Maths Alevel :-)
    Why, don't you like maths?

ReputationRep:
    yes it is my mother tongue. And i do like maths and i am doing it for alevel however i am not good enough to do further maths alevel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phil28)
    Would it be correct to say some Uni's (e.g. Bath) prefer Economics and/or Further Maths and some don't?
    As long as you perform well in respected A-levels you should be in a strong position for applying to Uni, including top 10 institutions.
    After all, I have an offer from Bristol and i don't have economics, or further maths for that matter...
    TAELT gives the best available public information for each uni. But for Bath Economics/Business is pretty much essential to get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    yes it is my mother tongue. And i do like maths and i am doing it for alevel however i am not good enough to do further maths alevel.
    If Greek is your mother tongue then doing Greek A-level will not be valued by unis when applying for competitive courses (which both econ and medicine are).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    TAELT gives the best available public information for each uni. But for Bath Economics/Business is pretty much essential to get an offer.
    What's UCL's stance on economics and further maths as requirements? I kinda regret not applying there, not that my grades would be good enough, but could've been worth a shot. After all, you don't ask you don't get.

ReputationRep:
    What's UCL's stance on economics and further maths as requirements? .
    I don't have any specific UCL insights. But at that Top 5 level Economics is pretty much essential and FM very helpful.

I kinda regret not applying there, not that my grades would be good enough,
    What are your GCSE grades?
    and AS subjects and grades?

but could've been worth a shot. After all, you don't ask you don't get.
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    so don't my a levels-with maths and economics(or economics and business) fulfil the requirements, and if i do well in the exams i should be able to get into an economics course?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a gap year student.
    GCSE: 4 stars and 6 A's
    A-level: 4 A's in Maths, History, Chemistry and Physics.
    Not impossible to get an offer if my reference and PS were pretty damn impressive, but I guess that chance would be fairly remote...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.