Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware that this probably asked a lot. And I have a vague idea. But ideally what is a good way? I just started a new routine at the gym which was recommended to me here as follows:

3x5 squat

3x5 bench press

1x5 deadlift

and then every other day:

3x5 squat

3x5 press

3x5 barbell row

I start and finish every session with a 10 minute run on the treadmill. After the last run I do crunches, plank position and then stretch. I've been doing these exercises for like 3 months now and there's no real improvement. though in fairness I can't hold the plank very long (maybe 30 seconds, so i do it twice). every other guy seems to have 'better' abs than me, so it cant be that hard- I'm willing to put in the effort afterall.

do crunches (sit-ups) help? how often/how many times a day should I do them? comments on my routine as it is? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    if you want defined abs you will have to go on a cut and reduce body fat levels..

ReputationRep:
    It isn't hard to get defined abs the only way is to reduce your body fat and do abodominal exercises. To reduce your body fat you would have to change your diet by making your main food filling, by this i mean steamed vegtables and boiled potatoe and not as much meat as you would normally have. Also you would have to work in the aneerobic threshold which is the wieght loss zone, I would recomned jogging and swimming.

The final part is tonning the abs which is the easy part, the best exercise is abdominal crunches but rember its good form over quantity, add weights for variation.

ReputationRep:
    Inb4 abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    It isn't hard to get defined abs the only way is to reduce your body fat and do abodominal exercises. To reduce your body fat you would have to change your diet by making your main food filling, by this i mean steamed vegtables and boiled potatoe and not as much meat as you would normally have. Also you would have to work in the aneerobic threshold which is the wieght loss zone, I would recomned jogging and swimming.

The final part is tonning the abs which is the easy part, the best exercise is abdominal crunches but rember its good form over quantity, add weights for variation.
    lol, so you're saying to increase carbs and lower protein? And work in the aneerobic threshold?

FAIL x 5.

Oh wait, lets not forget tonning the abs!

More Fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    lol, so you're saying to increase carbs and lower protein? And work in the aneerobic threshold?

FAIL x 5.

More Fail.

If you feel you have to try and prove me wrong do so, but it works for me i have a six pack believe it or not it doesn't make a difference.
    Everyone has 6 pack abs so its just the fat which stops you from showing them that is why i suggest loosing fat as protein is not essential for 6 pack abs.

Check this link it tells you all you need to know about abdominal workouts start at around 8 mins to get the bit where i talk about nutrition.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby19...B036EB66B488D3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

FAIL x 5.

More Fail.
    i agree the post was wrong in that carbs should be cut and protein maximised but anaerobic exercise is much less efficient than aerobic exercise and so use much more calories (anaerobic exercise occurs when your heart rate/breathing rate is not high enough to meet demands of muscles - usually a point experienced after rigourous aerobic exercise). you have FAILED to understand the krebs cycle

ReputationRep:
    If you feel you have to try and prove me wrong do so, but it works for me i have a six pack believe it or not it doesn't make a difference.
    Having a sixpack does not mean that you know what you're talking about and/or that you advice is any good.

Everyone has 6 pack abs so its just the fat which stops you from showing them that is why i suggest loosing fat as protein is not essential for 6 pack abs.
    1) Protein and fat are essential components of your diet

2) A high protein diet during weight loss (coupled with a decent resistance training routine) reduces muscle loss

3) Substituting decent sources of protein with poor sources of carbs isn't a smart idea whatever your goals are

Check this link it tells you all you need to know about abdominal workouts start at around 8 mins to get the bit where i talk about nutrition.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby19...B036EB66B488D3
    1) You aren't Scooby

2) He doesn't advocate a low protein diet

3) Sure some of his info is very good but equally some is pretty dated

ReputationRep:
    One of my points, is that it's not as simple as anaerobic or aerobic. Do both. Resistance training still burns a hell of a lot of calories, but will also preserve muscle mass. Long slow steady state cardio also burns calories (though it takes longer since it's less intense), and is less catabolic than HIIT. But aerobic training is still catabolic, which is why you still need resistance training unless you want to be 115lbs with a 23" 6 pack waist waste.

If you lower carbs, your glycogen stores will deplete faster and you'll have to start burning fat and protein. This is why increasing your protein intake and doing resistance training becomes so important; you need to prevent your body from breaking down your muscle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Having a sixpack does not mean that you know what you're talking about and/or that you advice is any good.

1) Protein and fat are essential components of your diet

2) A high protein diet during weight loss (coupled with a decent resistance training routine) reduces muscle loss

3) Substituting decent sources of protein with poor sources of carbs isn't a smart idea whatever your goals are

1) You aren't Scooby

2) He doesn't advocate a low protein diet

3) Sure some of his info is very good but equally some is pretty dated

No you're misunderstood.

Puma advocated high intensity cardio - awesome. However high intensity cardio is very demanding and you need to consume a relatively high protein diet to sustain it and stave off muscle loss. What did Puma advocate? A high simple carb, low protein diet.
    Ok, I was wrong :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hiit

ReputationRep:
    You're doing starting strength, your main goal is not abs it's strength, granted a strong core will help but if you are a beginner then do not worry about abs for now as if you could not see them before starting strength then i dont think you will by the end. To get the most from starting strength you need to eat like a beast and put on some bulk, do not worry about bf% when you finish SS move onto a split focused more on hypertrophy and so some heavy ab work every 5-7 days throw in some cardio 3 times a week and you will see abs. Abs are like any other muscle, you hit them hard then give them rest and repeat, then when you do a cut and lower your bf% you will have strong chisled abs.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqoD0Bdggto

ReputationRep:
    Well you're at least on the right track doing a real routine instead of fannying around with lots of ab exercises. Personally I don't think there's much point worrying about ab visibility until you've built some muscle (a skinny guy with abs is still a skinny guy after all) and with a decent diet you can gain plenty of muscle on Starting Strength without really getting much fatter, at least at first. I'd just worry about that, because once you've built up a decent squat and deadlift you'll have a strong core and your abs will be plenty visible if you diet down a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h82think)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqoD0Bdggto
    quit posting stupid links

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    quit posting stupid links
    As a qualified Fitness Instructor (LSBU), I think I am more qualified to give advice than you!

ReputationRep:
    As a qualified Fitness Instructor (LSBU), I think I am more qualified to give advice than you!
    Don't lord out qualifications:

1) It's rude.

2) You never know for sure who you're dealing with.

3) It doesn't validate your advice either way even if we assume that you are in fact a qualified fitness instructor and that it's a decent qualification in the first place.

I'll echo what Bishamon said, a LSBU Fitness Instructor advising bicycle crunches for a six pack doesn't fill me with confidence.

ReputationRep:
    lol at your user name, it seems appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    oh boy, you're so, so not

ReputationRep:
    Well then, I presume you're able to explain why low intensity ab specific exercises are more productive for creating visible abs than heavier full-body exercises which not only result in greater muscular devlopment in the core but also an increase overall strength and fitness (not to mention the fact that doing a serious weights regime will also help to reduce bodyfat, the more important aspect of getting visible abs). Not, of course, that having visible abs actually has anything to do with fitness anyway.

If we're going to use facts which are not directly related to knowledge about the issue to back up our claims, allow me to point out that I can't remember the last time I did any ab-specific exercises but I squat and deadlift every week, and guess what? I gots dem abs.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.