Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm international (French) and in my school, there are like 20 people who got an offer from UCL (out of maybe 30 applying...and some are waiting for answers still so it may rise up to 26-7...)

The fact is that in these 20 people, there are like 2-3 very good students, 10 average and the rest have really low marks, like in the last quarter of the class. They have really low scores on every exam, their application is real crap, and still they got in (for History, Engineering, Arts...diverse studies)

I've also applied to UCL (it's not my first choice though) but this tends to make me think that it is not a very prestigious uni. I mean, they may be 4th in ONE ranking, they do not seem very selective (I think that it's maybe because it's a multifaculty, etc. so they are quite well ranked)

Is it because as international applicants they have less knowledge of the system, is it because UCL is not a very good uni, or ... is it because the guys in my school were lucky?

(and the offers are quite low...other strange fact:in our school some unis like southampton make offers that are higher than Oxford/Cambridge/imperial...)

ReputationRep:
    4th best uni in the world.

ReputationRep:
    well i think the fact that you are international applicants may play a part in why candidates you deem not to be particularly strong were accepted

also your examples aren't the most competitive of courses

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Part of the University of London, Russell Group, Golden Triangle.

Coming away from that, I am sure UCL don't just judge applications on grades alone, and am sure the people you are referring to did not have applications that were 'crap', and that UCL really saw potential in the people you are referring to. Either that, or they really botched up the admissions process.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's not 4th best in the world, although they like to quote the table that says it is lol.

It's very good though yes - on a par with Warwick/Durham IMO.

<3

ReputationRep:
    UCL has a very good reputation and is known as the global university because it takes in alot of international students. I imagine it is a very good university, and there will be alot of cultural diversity within the uni, however i personally wouldnt want to go there. I applied last year, got an interview, but it was poorly organised, no effort was made to entice prospective students and they didnt even have academic staff interiewing us. I was interviewed by someone that was retired from the uni, and another girl was interviewed by the secretary!

I was then given an offer for AAA, I thought it was a joke! How can they expect that highly of me, when they cant even make the effort themselves!

anyway, thats my opinion

ReputationRep:
    It is a good/brilliant uni, but UCL is a uni which has a large international student community, so that may play a part in its applications process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najeezy)
    4th best uni in the world.
    Ranked 4th best but I think most would agree it isnt 4th best. Imperial is better than UCL. UCL is still amazing tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paronomase)
    other strange fact:in our school some unis like southampton make offers that are higher than Oxford/Cambridge/imperial...)
    Are you doing A-Levels? UK uni's may not be that familiar with the French education system and therefore not know what a 'good' mark is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paronomase)
    Hey,
    I'm international (French) and in my school, there are like 20 people who got an offer from UCL (out of maybe 30 applying...and some are waiting for answers still so it may rise up to 26-7...)

The fact is that in these 20 people, there are like 2-3 very good students, 10 average and the rest have really low marks, like in the last quarter of the class. They have really low scores on every exam, their application is real crap, and still they got in (for History, Engineering, Arts...diverse studies)

I've also applied to UCL (it's not my first choice though) but this tends to make me think that it is not a very prestigious uni. I mean, they may be 4th in ONE ranking, they do not seem very selective (I think that it's maybe because it's a multifaculty, etc. so they are quite well ranked)

Is it because as international applicants they have less knowledge of the system, is it because UCL is not a very good uni, or ... is it because the guys in my school were lucky?

(and the offers are quite low...other strange fact:in our school some unis like southampton make offers that are higher than Oxford/Cambridge/imperial...)
    I also came from France to UCL.

2 things to bare in mind:
    They don't actually have your transcripts of your grades, so they rely on the references and what your teachers have predicted them.
    So, it depends really on how good a reference your teachers wrote for them (and you can't really know that), which would make the application strong/very strong.

What kind of offers were they made? I would expect around 14 which is actually not that low.

Oxbridge usually ask 15 from french students if i'm not wrong. If Southampton ask for more you should give them a call, as some departments in some unis are unfamiliar with the french bac and give ridiculous offers, but if you talk them through the system they are often willing to reconsider the offer.

Apart from that yeah UCL is a brilliant place to be!

P.S.: and out of curiosity which school is it, as it may play a role?

ReputationRep:
    I seem to get the picture from what I've heard it's harder to get into LSE>ICL>KCL>UCL. Like OP has said alot of my classmates have recieved offers from UCL but less from the more "prestigious uni" like LSE, ICL or KCL. IMO UCL isn't picking the most able students but instead giving offers to whomever that makes the grades. Even though alot of courses at UCL is still require high grades like 3A or 2A/1B, maybe they think their not first choice in alot of the student's application and those who got offers would go to another Uni.

For example: I know a girl who spent 4 years at college studying for her A-levels and while I was 3 years younger than her- she was still in my C1 exam :shock: so lets face it she wasnt the most able person in the world. But she still got an offer at UCL studying Chemical Engineering, a tough and demanding course.

Final note: I think UCL is a good university, their not high ranked for no reason. But I don't think they're as competitive as they're rival Uni's like LSE or ICL.

Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    Yes!! I would cut off my leg for UCL!

ReputationRep:
    UCL is awesome!

ReputationRep:
    They've accepted you all because that will get them a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    I seem to get the picture from what I've heard it's harder to get into LSE>ICL>KCL>UCL. Like OP has said alot of my classmates have recieved offers from UCL but less from the more "prestigious uni" like LSE, ICL or KCL. IMO UCL isn't picking the most able students but instead giving offers to whomever that makes the grades. Even though alot of courses at UCL is still require high grades like 3A or 2A/1B, maybe they think their not first choice in alot of the student's application and those who got offers would go to another Uni.

For example: I know a girl who spent 4 years at college studying for her A-levels and while I was 3 years younger than her- she was still in my C1 exam :shock: so lets face it she wasnt the most able person in the world. But she still got an offer at UCL studying Chemical Engineering, a tough and demanding course.

Final note: I think UCL is a good university, their not high ranked for no reason. But I don't think they're as competitive as they're rival Uni's like LSE or ICL.

Hope this helped.
    No one with any real knowledge of London unis would rate KCL as 'more prestigious' or better than UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superfrank)
    They've accepted you all because that will get them a lot of money.
    Maybe you should have read the post more carefully. The OP is French so he has home fee status.

And answer to the question, I don't really know why I have a feeling that getting into UCL is quite easy as long as you got the grades, although people keep telling me how competitive the uni is.

Yes it is

ReputationRep:
    UCL is highly ranked for internationals and research. At undergrad level, it is good but perhaps not spectacular. It is possible that your school gave extremely high forecast results for your classmates. They may have written impressive personal statements. I'm not brilliant but I have an offer from ICL as my personal statement was odd. (THey emailed me to confirm that my reference was not self-written.) Out of the many offers UCL gives only a fraction enter as a number go on to better institutions e.g. ICL and LSE. The rest don't meet the conditions of their offer.

ReputationRep:
    Yes its

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.