Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    no, it is a terrible uni, DO NOT GO THERE....even places like teeside and thames valley are better, AVOID UCL AT ALL COSTS, THEY WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE WITH A WORTHLESS DEGREE

ReputationRep:
    Replying to 2).

If you didnt already look at my previous post to Bubbles*de*Milo, I said I realise I made that mistake saying (KCL>UCL) but i cannot be bothered to go back and change it...besides I was saying my friends got offers from UCL more than KCL as OP has already said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendragon)
    Excellent for economics, but generally overrated, LSE and Imperial are better. Its not 4th in the UK let alone 4th in the world. They like to think they are better than Kings, Warwick and Durham but not by much.
    I know someone who turned down an offer from christ church college oxford to go to UCL for medicine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muddy91)
    I know someone who turned down an offer from christ church in oxford to go to UCL...
    I know someone who likes KFC more than McDonald's...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    I know someone who likes KFC more than McDonald's...
    just saying - for some courses it is pretty damn good

ReputationRep:
    It's probably the best multi-faculty or at least one of the best multi-faculties in the UK after Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Its consistently ranked among the top 5 in the country year after year...

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty good yeah, certainly top 5 in UK and probably top 10 in world as a mutlifaculty uni. Definitely not 4th in world for undergrad, lol @ that. It is also definitely not better for science/medicine than ICL but definitely better than KCL for loads of major courses (though it's probably on a par with KCL for Medicine).

Imo, it's one of those unis where the absolute best students are happy to get an offer from, but it likely won't be their first choice, and for the "good/solid" students it is a uni they would aspire to get in to. I think that it is becoming more and more famous, but it certainly does not have the same reputation amongst the public as oxbridge and imperial, for example.

However, it's important to realise that the most important thing for a uni is the career prospects it gives its students. In that respect UCL is elite, and on paper will give an applicant as good a chance as any other top uni would for professional jobs.

ReputationRep:
    My impression of UCL is that it's a great place to learn, but the facilities seem fairly poor considering and it's rather small. Good location, good schools, very good for english/medicine/grad studies and in london, all positives- plus its reputation precedes it. Even if it's not necessarily that good then the UCL brand name will be reward enough.

But really, I don't think it's, on average, any better than other 'top-end' multifaculty UK unis such as Bristol, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, and definitely doesnt beat oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrcarrot)
    My impression of UCL is that it's a great place to learn, but the facilities seem fairly poor considering and it's rather small. Good location, good schools, very good for english/medicine/grad studies and in london, all positives- plus its reputation precedes it. Even if it's not necessarily that good then the UCL brand name will be reward enough.

But really, I don't think it's, on average, any better than other 'top-end' multifaculty UK unis such as Bristol, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, and definitely doesnt beat oxbridge.
    1) Some facilities are good, some are bad, like any uni, but the important ones are good!
    2) UCL is massive.
    3) +1 for UCL being good for medicine
    4) And "on average" it IS better than Bristol, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, in fact it totally craps on all of those unis overall. For undergrad only though, on average yes it is similar in quality to those.

ReputationRep:
    err - medicine?!
    Yea sorry, that too. But that's a special case at every uni anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superfrank)
    They've accepted you all because that will get them a lot of money.
    Seems like you're living up to your username. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean by good uni...it's one of the sought after unis by employers after Oxbridge and since most (virtually all?) are in uni to get a job, that's what I would describe as a good uni. But to deflate egos, that doesn't mean the students are smart; employers use the cluster concept, like grapes come in bunches, if you examine one grape you will know pretty much what the rest of the grapes on the cluster look like. Some courses aren't competitive, some people on competitive courses are thickos.

ReputationRep:
    UCL is a uni whichg accepts many students intertionally around 50% of the students there are foerign. Anyways, people from foreign countires wishing to study in england will pay much more than students who are english. So UCL will get a lot of money coming through because they know they will charge foreign students higher than enligsh students

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who turned down an offer from christ church college oxford to go to UCL for medicine...
    Medicine is a completely different subject, its uber competitive everywhere; its the only subject where you wouldn't be completely mad to turn down Oxford or UCL for Edinburgh or Newcastle.

But anyway who went to UCL over Oxbridge for law or economics (which is particularly good at UCL) would be making a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gammaknifed)
    1) Some facilities are good, some are bad, like any uni, but the important ones are good!
    2) UCL is massive.
    3) +1 for UCL being good for medicine
    4) And "on average" it IS better than Bristol, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, in fact it totally craps on all of those unis overall. For undergrad only though, on average yes it is similar in quality to those.
    It's not that big? When I visited I was surprised by its size. I mean it's to be expected as it's in zone 1 but it's not massive by any means.

I don't think it 'totally craps on' the above unis personally. It may be slightly better overall or for undergrad but not leaps and bounds- it's certainly not good enough for me to want to choose it over Bristol for chemistry.

As an aside, i've been told the #4 ranking was largely due to number of research citations, large international student number and location.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superfrank)
    They've accepted you all because that will get them a lot of money.
    Jealous much? Not it doesn't love, he/she is a FRENCH STUDENT therefore from the EU and will pay the same tuition fee as me and you! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, this is not even a question worth asking.

3rd best multi-faculty university in the UK behind Cambridge and Oxford. Really do you need anymore then that?

ReputationRep:
    curiously some crazy tables state that ucl and lse are behind st andrews and warwick. why are the last 2 overrated?

ReputationRep:
    Is the UCL SSEES History V101 anywhere as good as the UCL V100 in terms of job opportunities ?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.