Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how good is biochem at ucl?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gammaknifed)
    1) Some facilities are good, some are bad, like any uni, but the important ones are good!
    2) UCL is massive.
    3) +1 for UCL being good for medicine
    4) And "on average" it IS better than Bristol, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, in fact it totally craps on all of those unis overall. For undergrad only though, on average yes it is similar in quality to those.
    its really not massive at all. there are 19,000 students at UCL but you would never know considering the campus is very small by comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's a great university (don't make assumptions from your school -- one's school is hardly ever generalisable). Indeed, just as important a question is how great are you. :hubba:

It's also not so bad if you're interested in Islamism. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choongsta)
    well i think the fact that you are international applicants may play a part in why candidates you deem not to be particularly strong were accepted

also your examples aren't the most competitive of courses
    History isn't one of the most competitive courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    It's also not so bad if you're interested in Islamism. :ninja:
    Hush you. :ninjagirl:

And yes, yes it is. I am not biased, no sir-ee.
    Maybe your classmates aren't as stupid as you think? A cracking reference maybe :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It is a good uni, but I think it thinks of itself as better than it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fyodor Bingoffsky)
    curiously some crazy tables state that ucl and lse are behind st andrews and warwick. why are the last 2 overrated?
    st andrews is overrated but warwick is honestly a top uni...in my books it is 6th behind ucl.

but please this thread is pointless UCL is better than most of the universities in the UK, it is top 5 in the UK so to answer your question...ucl IS a really good uni.

ReputationRep:
    Don't talk to me about UCL...

ReputationRep:
    It's well-respected, and it's got well-renowned departments for East European studies and Linguistics. (Two subjects that leap immediately to mind.)

I know the head of their post-grad neuroscience department (in the Medical Faculty), and he turned down a post at Cambridge to continue teaching there. Based on that anecdotal evidence, it can't be that bad!

(Original post by iamru)
    st andrews is overrated but warwick is honestly a top uni...in my books it is 6th behind ucl.
    What makes you say that?! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    its really not massive at all. there are 19,000 students at UCL but you would never know considering the campus is very small by comparison.

I did actually mean the "campus" size when I said that UCL is massive though. The whole of central London contains UCL buildings... Though if you're talking about the "main campus" then OK I can see where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:

I did actually mean the "campus" size when I said that UCL is massive though. The whole of central London contains UCL buildings...
    This lol

ReputationRep:
    Meh it's ok.

ReputationRep:

I did actually mean the "campus" size when I said that UCL is massive though. The whole of central London contains UCL buildings...
    i know, i was just stating that you would think the campus would be bigger when you realize how many students actually go there. you just bolstered my point.

and the whole of central london does not contain UCL buildings. what are you talking about? you can walk from one side of UCL's campus to the other in about 3 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    No one with any real knowledge of London unis would rate KCL as 'more prestigious' or better than UCL.
    Hahah, says missus QMUL ,the ******** london uni by far hahahah!

KCL's an awesome uni, their law/med departments are the 3-5th best in the country thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrcarrot)
    It's not that big? When I visited I was surprised by its size. I mean it's to be expected as it's in zone 1 but it's not massive by any means.

I don't think it 'totally craps on' the above unis personally. It may be slightly better overall or for undergrad but not leaps and bounds- it's certainly not good enough for me to want to choose it over Bristol for chemistry.

As an aside, i've been told the #4 ranking was largely due to number of research citations, large international student number and location.
    The main campus is small, but it's not a campus university now is it. There are UCL buildings all over central London.

And it craps on Bristol dude! Let's be honest here :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.Shallot)

KCL's an awesome uni, their law/med departments are the 3-5th best in the country thank you very much
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...=14&y=5&sub=44

Can't see KCL anywhere there? Hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.Shallot)

Because going to QMUL means I can't say that everyone knows UCL is better than KCL? :eyebrow:

What an utterly retarded statement. And I didn't even say KCL wasn't good, just not as good as UCL, mong.
    And also, I think we're sliiiightly above RHUL and Goldsmiths.

kthnxbai

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it depends on the course. No real equivalent exists for the UCL course European Social and Political Studies which is extremely difficult to get into and students regularly turn down various courses at Oxbridge for it. (It's like a more flexible PPE with a European language.) Having said that, I understand that for other subjects (Audiology?) the entry requirements and therefore the competition is much lower than courses at other top unis.

I would agree with the poster who said that for top students, UCL is, generally speaking, a second choice to Oxbridge, while for a more mediocre student it would be a reach. This is a generalisation and of course several anomalies exist, such as Medicine, English, ESPS, and possibly Law and Economics.

In terms of international prestige, very few people in the US have ever heard of UCL. In fact, I find many people have never heard of Cambridge. It seems that Oxford is the highest perceived UK university in the US; most sixth form and university students will only know of Oxford and St. Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calsbo)
    I would agree with the poster who said that for top students, UCL is, generally speaking, a second choice to Oxbridge, while for a more mediocre student it would be a reach. This is a generalisation and of course several anomalies exist, such as Medicine, English, ESPS, and possibly Law and Economics.
    Hihi.

ReputationRep:
    UCL is fully awesome :cool:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.