Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

To be fair, FranticMind is correct, internationals pay between 4-8 (I think it's about 8 for medicine though I would need to check...)times more fees than locals. So there is an economic motive for the university to accept internationals

(Original post by Lizia)
    That's bizarre considering a crazy number of students here are Chinese internationals...
    It's weird but the only people who have heard of UCL here seem to be current/past students (plus their relatives and friends) or secondary school teachers. My sister's year has a lot of people from Hong Kong/mainland China/Singapore though - my theory is that they're more likely to factor in university rankings into their decision as there's a big emphasis on academic achievement in those countries, whereas here there's a real 'community' feel (it's a very small country with few people, and most people are related in some way) and so people are more likely to opt for places they've heard of because someone they know is/was there.

Yes but there is no point going to a US uni for undergrad level, it would be like doing A-levels again.

(Original post by chibiyuki)
    I don't know how to perceive this but as with the thread starter, UCL seemed to have offered quite a number of places to people in my country. Notwithstanding they do have good results, it almost passes off as easier to obtain admissions to UCL than to the local National University Singapore. This is disturbing, too.

I was offered Law. When are you matriculating?
    I have seen the NUS application form and it is much more intimidating than the UCAS one as you must state your extracurricular achievements and Olympiad medals. However I think that passion for the course is more important at UCL.

After I complete my A-Levels in June, I will be studying in September (if I choose UCL) or October (if I fulfil Imperial's offer.) Surprisingly, my friend who didn't take Further Math was offered places at imperial and UCL. Nevertheless her personal statement was very convincing and sincere, compared to those of more brilliant students.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.