Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I wanted to dye my hair a vibrant blue colour, but I'm unsure of whether to go for my whole head (I would but I shall explain the drawbacks later), or half blue half black (As in, one underneath, one on top). The deal with this is if I want it blue and it needs bleaching, I MUST get it done at the hairdressers.

Unfortunately, I have mid-dark brown hair, which I have already dyed a few times before, but only with semi-permenant dye.
    So my issue here is bleaching. Because I want it to be vibrant, I will probably have to bleach it but I've heard a lot about how it can damage your hair. How severe can this damage be?

If it is bad, then I was thinking of dying the underneath of my hair blue, getting short choppy layers, and using the usual semi-permenant dye to dye the top of it black, then I wouldn't need root touch ups at the hair dressers as often and could just do the black touch ups at home, and re-do the blue when my natural colour becomes visible again. Do you think this would work alright?

Any help is greatly appriciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    How disappointing. I thought this was gonna be a thread about the anime Bleach

*sigh*
    It's in the hair care forum, so sorry to disappoint :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I dyed my hair dark red for years and then bleached it to platinum blonde myself and it was fine, it didn't all fall out or anything. You would need absolutely loads of intensive conditioner though!

I would go with the second option, especially as blue fades out so quickly and goes a weird colour after a couple of washes.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine. There's a lot of scare mongering concerning bleach. My hair is purple, I bleach it (at home, myself) to almost white.

Bleach can damage your hair, but the worst that will happen if you bleach it once is it will be a little dry. The damage occurs when you bleach multiple times, or bleach excessively on really dark hair [or hair that's been dyed black previously!]

It will not "fall out" - this is a myth. Hair only breaks off when you've literally fried it.

If it all goes well you'll need to keep your hair well conditioned, also I'll point you towards Special Effects dye - blue is a hard colour to maintain, and you'll need a good dye.

ReputationRep:
    I bleach my hair 10 out of 12 months, and it' in fine. Just make sure you condition it really well and be careful with drying your hair at a high heat. Your hair won't fall out

I'm dying my hair blue too actually, with like an electric blue all underneath and my current blonde on top

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.