Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I saw an interview on Lose Women with Janice Dickinson and she claimed that it's ok to tell people that they're fat (if they are)

And I agree with this partially because surely if someone is fat and they ask your opinion on their weight surely it must be better to be honest with them?

Obesity is a serious problem causing all sorts of health risks. Do we all really want to live in a world where obesity is increasing and the majority of people are fat? Because that's how it'll end up. Our generation is the first to have a decreased life expectancy because of fatness. It's a disease and could do no harm to be brutally honest with these people if only to help with their health.

What do you think? Is tough love ok when ultimately, it could result in the person losing weight, gaining more self confidence and living a healthier life? Discus.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh its a person's own choice and responsiblity whether or not they lose weight.
    I can't imagine a fat person not knowing they are fat.
    If they asked me I might tactfully say 'why not try making some lifestyles changes..'
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just like when people are ugly you tell them? well you dont obviously and anyways you'll just wittle down any confidence they already had.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how people tell me I look anorexic even though I'm not and they don't see it as offensive, yet if I tell someone is fat they suddenly hate on me and I have an enemy for life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Just like when people are ugly you tell them? well you dont obviously and anyways you'll just wittle down any confidence they already had.
    being overweight is slighty different to being ugly. one you can change the other, not so much.
    You're right though I wouldn't want to hurt that person's feelings because they already might have a low self esteem.

I just don't know why an overweight person would need to ask if they are fat.. i'm sure they are very aware of it.
    I've had fat people ask me HOW to lose weight but not if they are fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xica Da Silva)
    being overweight is slighty different to being ugly. one you can change the other, not so much.
    You're right though I wouldn't want to hurt that person's feelings because they already might have a low self esteem.

I just don't know why an overweight person would need to ask if they are fat.. i'm sure they are very aware of it.
    I've had fat people ask me HOW to lose weight but not if they are fat.
    I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick. I don't mean just telling people they're fat, coming out with it out of the blue. But you get girls who are size 16 or whatever kidding themselves they're happy and are healthily sized. But when these sorts of people ask - should they get an honest answer? This is what I'm getting at.

I'm sure everyone knows someone rather large who says they're happy and healthy and yet everyone says behind his/her back - mmm a diet wouldn't do her any harm..

ReputationRep:
    If they're fat they know it, there's no reason to be rude about it and tell them that. just as you wouldn't tell someone who's ugly that they're ugly. it's called good manners, i think!

ReputationRep:
    Fat people probably know they are fat...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blinkers..)
    I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick. I don't mean just telling people they're fat, coming out with it out of the blue. But you get girls who are size 16 or whatever kidding themselves they're happy and are healthily sized. But when these sorts of people ask - should they get an honest answer? This is what I'm getting at.

I'm sure everyone knows someone rather large who says they're happy and healthy and yet everyone says behind his/her back - mmm a diet wouldn't do her any harm..
    Yes, because all fat people are suicidal. Go try to understand that not everyone's happyness is only based on their weight. Fat people would tend to realise they're fat believe it or not, people who say 'fatty' to try and annoy you are brilliant - kinda proving their own stupidity if hey think think you've not realised that.

ReputationRep:
    But on the Janice dickinson show she was trying to convince a girl she was fat, and she couldn't have been more then size 10. The girl even said 'I'm not fat' which I thought was quite brave (I would have seriously doubt my perception of myself if someone said that to me), but then janice just started pointing all her 'fat' bits out and making a massive deal of convincing her she was fat. She had an amazing hourglass body too :s.

Janice doesn't mean 'we should point out to unhealthily overweight people they are harming themselves' she means anyone who isnt a size 6/4 should be made to lose weight, whether healthy or not.

How come it is always people with normal weights who have a problem with overweight people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    How come it is always people with normal weights who have a problem with overweight people.
    Because it's not nice to look at. It's unhealthy and something should be done about it!! I can't understand why people would want to increase their risk of heart disease etc.

Celebrities like James Corden etc aren't helping with 'glamourising' obesity.

Because it's not nice to look at. It's unhealthy and something should be done about it!! I can't understand why people would want to increase their risk of heart disease etc.

Celebrities like James Corden etc aren't helping with 'glamourising' obesity.
    Contrary to popular opinion, not all peoples goals in life include being visually pleasing to every person that they meet. Its impossible anyway, different strkes for different folks and all that.

Them being unhealthy is THEIR business, not yours. I take it you have never drunk alcohol, or smoked, or done anything even remotely unhealthy. There is not one person on this planet who is perfectly healthy, everybody has increased risk of something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    idiot

you dont tell people theyre ugly cos there's nothing they can do about it
    fat people can lose weight

ReputationRep:
    wellllll, i dont mind my mates saying im fat coz its banter, but obv i wouldnt want some random ******* going "alright mate how are you? You're fat"

ReputationRep:
    i go on the bases that the more people who tell me that im fat, the more im going to do about being fat. at the moment i dont really mind too much...

ReputationRep:
    Oh not one of these threads again.

Why can't people just accept others for what they are, without all this stupidness about looks.

ReputationRep:
    if people are happy being fat and accept it(99.9% of them aren't) that's fine.....it's just the excuses as to why they're fat that irritates me. Their lifestyle and diet is the reason they're fat 99.9% of the time...not their metabolism, thyroid, holding extra water or whatever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    if people are happy being fat and accept it(99.9% of them aren't) that's fine.....it's just the excuses as to why they're fat that irritates me. Their lifestyle and diet is the reason they're fat 99.9% of the time...not their metabolism, thyroid, holding extra water or whatever
    That.

ReputationRep:
    I saw an interview on Lose Women with Janice Dickinson and she claimed that it's ok to tell people that they're fat (if they are)

And I agree with this partially because surely if someone is fat and they ask your opinion on their weight surely it must be better to be honest with them?

Obesity is a serious problem causing all sorts of health risks. Do we all really want to live in a world where obesity is increasing and the majority of people are fat? Because that's how it'll end up. Our generation is the first to have a decreased life expectancy because of fatness. It's a disease and could do no harm to be brutally honest with these people if only to help with their health.

What do you think? Is tough love ok when ultimately, it could result in the person losing weight, gaining more self confidence and living a healthier life? Discus.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that :nothing:

....and tough love? Wtf? Do you think fat people don't know that they are fat? Of course obesity is a problem but we can't start harassing obese people.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.