Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Just like when people are ugly you tell them? well you dont obviously and anyways you'll just wittle down any confidence they already had.
    Bad comparison; people aren't born fat.

ReputationRep:
    I had to tell my friend she was 'morbidly obese' because I did a profile on her lifestyle. She asked, but then was really funny with me when I told her the truth!

Normally when she says she's fat I go 'You're over weight yeah, but you don't look that fat'

It's all in the way you tell them :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh and currently a fat person is causing me problem. The dude who lives above me is huge, he constantly wakes me and my girlfriend up, as when he walks it sounds like the entire ******* ceiling is going to collapse.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Bad comparison; people aren't born fat.
    obviously it doesnt hold up totally the point was that telling somone about an obvious flaw isn't the best thing to do, because chances are they already know about it. Constant abuse from people calling you fat probably isnt going to make that person change too.

ReputationRep:
    How could someone not know that they were fat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    Oh not one of these threads again.

Why can't people just accept others for what they are, without all this stupidness about looks.

Here, here!!.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, because Janice Dickinson is a person we should all try and be like :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Just like when people are ugly you tell them? well you dont obviously and anyways you'll just wittle down any confidence they already had.
    Your sig reminded me of Nell, Forgot all about her, Damn Fillers.

ReputationRep:
    over weight is a ridiculous term....fat is better. Simple because someone can be actually big boned and just generally bigger framed...so will weigh more than someone their own height with the same amount of fat.

Once people realise BMI is utter tripe because weight takes into account bone structure the lot....the amount of fat you have is all that matters...how you look in the mirror etc not what the scales say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blinkers..)
    I think people are getting the wrong end of the stick. I don't mean just telling people they're fat, coming out with it out of the blue. But you get girls who are size 16 or whatever kidding themselves they're happy and are healthily sized. But when these sorts of people ask - should they get an honest answer? This is what I'm getting at.

I'm sure everyone knows someone rather large who says they're happy and healthy and yet everyone says behind his/her back - mmm a diet wouldn't do her any harm..
    It is perfectly possible for someone who is a size 16 to have a healthy BMI and lead a happy life. Abusing fat people will not help them, same as abusing anorexic people would not help them. Tact and understanding is needed to make sure that the person is happy and accepting of their weight.

If someone's health is actually at risk (e.g. morbidly obese people), then yes, it is acceptable to tell them that they should lose weight. However, Janice Dickinson is the type of woman who believes that anyone larger than a size 10 should starve themselves, and that is no more healthy than being overweight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    I didn't know I was fat, It didn't fully dawn on me until I looked at pictures of how I used to look.

I used to be in excess of 30% body fat.

ReputationRep:
    being ugly isn't bad for their health

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline147)
    This^

I've never really seen many people asking if they're fat (if they obviously are), more along the lines of, 'Do I look horrendous in this?'
    Personally I believe you should be honest without being rude. Chances are they know they're fat and will get pissed off if you lie and say they're not just to save feelings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loonyplatypus)
    It is perfectly possible for someone who is a size 16 to have a healthy BMI and lead a happy life. Abusing fat people will not help them, same as abusing anorexic people would not help them. Tact and understanding is needed to make sure that the person is happy and accepting of their weight.

If someone's health is actually at risk (e.g. morbidly obese people), then yes, it is acceptable to tell them that they should lose weight. However, Janice Dickinson is the type of woman who believes that anyone larger than a size 10 should starve themselves, and that is no more healthy than being overweight.
    having a 'healthy bmi' isn't good enough to ensure you are in good health. bmi doesn't take into account so many factors such as percentage of fat and muscle.

ReputationRep:
    people are born ugly and have no say in the matter, fat people can control their fatness, ugly peopel cant control their ugliness (unless surgery etc), plus, ugliness isn't a health risk, fatness is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boristhethird)
    i go on the bases that the more people who tell me that im fat, the more im going to do about being fat. at the moment i dont really mind too much...
    You're fat :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    You're fat :p:
    why thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    over weight is a ridiculous term....fat is better. Simple because someone can be actually big boned and just generally bigger framed...so will weigh more than someone their own height with the same amount of fat.

Once people realise BMI is utter tripe because weight takes into account bone structure the lot....the amount of fat you have is all that matters...how you look in the mirror etc not what the scales say.
    Most people perceive themselves differently then how others do though, for example most people will see the bad parts of themselves more then others and would probably perceive themselves as bigger. I know loads of people who are slim and say they think they look fat/chubby in areas.
    Looking in the mirror is useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john87)
    people are born ugly and have no say in the matter, fat people can control their fatness, ugly peopel cant control their ugliness (unless surgery etc), plus, ugliness isn't a health risk, fatness is
    Guess it's ok to go around abusing everybody who drinks alcohol then, who's up for a massive crawl tonight round the London pubs, shouting at people with pint in hand and yelling at them about how they're all disgusting and going to die of liver cirrhosis?

For goodness' sake. Anybody who seriously thinks that bullying people with too much body fat is acceptable because of the "health risk" is obviously incapable of even basic logical reasoning or critical thinking, and will the rest of you please drop the ridiculously transparent facade. As if any of you give two ***** about protecting the health of so-called fat people. You're bullies, nothing more and nothing less, and trying to excuse your behaviour with laughable justifications just makes you look even more pathetic.

Janice Dickinson is a walking joke. What a deeply sad and insecure woman that all that revolting surgery has not been enough to placate her fears that she is going to die alone; she has to resort to trying to convince healthy people they look bad. She is a true example of somebody who is not actually ugly, but whose hideous personality shines through to the exterior, making her nasty to look at as well as to listen to.

ReputationRep:
    I hate how they say "Oh my diet's going great! But I was a bit cheeky on the weekend, we were too lazy to cook so Dave went and got a takeaway."

Shut up fat *****.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.