Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm taking Latin A2 this year, and I know it isn't exactly the easiest subject in the world, but I managed at AS to get the A I needed. Anyway, we did a mock recently (the specimen papers but with our actual set text on the section As, because they put questions to other books of the Aenied etc.). Has anyone else done these papers and found them exceptionally hard?? I completely died on them, couldn't do anything... Anyone else feel this way? (especially the interpreting dreams one...)

ReputationRep:
    YES.
    Incredibly hard, the Ovid one you're talking about? Something to with a cow and a bull and a reflection on his real life or something?

Yeah, immense paper, and the prose isn't easy either...

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree. Looking at the Ovid verse translation in particular made me feel terrible about my lack of vocab knowledge. It's really annoying because I'd like to have a strong A in Latin and I'm not too confident on the Literature questions.

Why are the textbook translations easier? Shouldn't they reflect exam difficulty!?

Now it's May, and I'm in Panic Mode.:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm hoping that the exam is like last year's one and is a lot easier than all the specimen and practice ones, but I'm not too sure now. Not had any time to even begin learning the set texts either yet... ARGH, its actually a single digit number of weeks away now!!!

ReputationRep:
    We did that as a mock as well...similar pain. Our teacher called up the exam board though, and they confirmed that it was badly put together, and won't be that hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scelestra)
    We did that as a mock as well...similar pain. Our teacher called up the exam board though, and they confirmed that it was badly put together, and won't be that hard.
    That is actually a MASSIVE relief, having said that I'm still getting Us and badly need an A so I feel I'm going to talk in Latin to everyone from now until the exam:p: Or maybe not...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thank goodness for that- I'm the only person in my school doing A2 latin and I was beginning to think that it was just me finding things difficult. I thought the specimen wasn't too too bad but it could have been much better. Which textbooks do you guys use? The comprehensions which I've been given have been way way harder than the specimen paper and its killing me bit by bit... I use the newish Advanced Latin book and the new Latin beyond GCSE book and I used to use the Ashley Carter one with just translations in it.

I got an A at AS too but the step up from AS to A2 is huge! I can't seem to get above 80% or so in comprehensions and vary quite remarkably between 60%-80% on them. The literature is alright though and I hope that it will pull my mark up. I'm even resitting the AS language paper next tuesday to try and scrap as many more UMS marks as possible even though I got an A the first time round! Serious desperation lol. :p: I really need an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    Oh, thank goodness for that- I'm the only person in my school doing A2 latin and I was beginning to think that it was just me finding things difficult. I thought the specimen wasn't too too bad but it could have been much better. Which textbooks do you guys use? The comprehensions which I've been given have been way way harder than the specimen paper and its killing me bit by bit... I use the newish Advanced Latin book and the new Latin beyond GCSE book and I used to use the Ashley Carter one with just translations in it.

I got an A at AS too but the step up from AS to A2 is huge! I can't seem to get above 80% or so in comprehensions and vary quite remarkably between 60%-80% on them. The literature is alright though and I hope that it will pull my mark up. I'm even resitting the AS language paper next tuesday to try and scrap as many more UMS marks as possible even though I got an A the first time round! Serious desperation lol. :p: I really need an A.
    :eek: I'm in a similar situation - I got a B in AS, but because it was the Literature paper I slipped up in I'm resitting Language with the aim to score as many UMS marks as possible. I have to agree the AS-A2 gap is immense, especially with grammar.

In answer to your question I use Advanced Latin and Latin Beyond GCSE the most frequently, as well as a book called Latin Prose Composition for A2 English - Latin practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyYear)
    :eek: I'm in a similar situation - I got a B in AS, but because it was the Literature paper I slipped up in I'm resitting Language with the aim to score as many UMS marks as possible. I have to agree the AS-A2 gap is immense, especially with grammar.

In answer to your question I use Advanced Latin and Latin Beyond GCSE the most frequently, as well as a book called Latin Prose Composition for A2 English - Latin practice.
    Wow, are you going to do english-latin? Thats amazing, I could never do that! :woo: How do you go about learning all the vocab?

Good luck for the resit on tuesday! Lets hope we both do fantastically well and get 100 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    It's good to know that everybody's feeling the same way about this exam then! We've not used any textbooks really apart from the Cambridge Latin Guide with unseens being done from random photocopies our teacher's found somewhere. I am literally minutes away from starting to learn the literature word for word (starting with the STUPID tacitus, which I HATE with a passion)..

ReputationRep:
    Wow, are you going to do english-latin? Thats amazing, I could never do that! :woo: How do you go about learning all the vocab?

Good luck for the resit on tuesday! Lets hope we both do fantastically well and get 100 UMS.
    Thank you very much - I hope so as well!

To be honest I find translating english-latin slightly easier, although I admit putting the grammar teachniques (conditional sentences, *** clauses etc.) into practice is very difficult. I just try to learn Latin vocab inside and out and look out for derivations in English when possible so that the words (or at least parts of them anyway) are easier to remember for the actual exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolsihboy)
    It's good to know that everybody's feeling the same way about this exam then! We've not used any textbooks really apart from the Cambridge Latin Guide with unseens being done from random photocopies our teacher's found somewhere. I am literally minutes away from starting to learn the literature word for word (starting with the STUPID tacitus, which I HATE with a passion)..
    The literature isn't too bad I don't think. (don't hurt me! lol) I'll probably end up learning it word for word but its kind of annoying there are no direct marks for it like at AS.

How do people find the grammar questions in prose comprehensions (e.g. why is X subjunctive?) and the scansion in the verse comprehensions?

ReputationRep:
    The literature isn't too bad I don't think. (don't hurt me! lol) I'll probably end up learning it word for word but its kind of annoying there are no direct marks for it like at AS.

How do people find the grammar questions in prose comprehensions (e.g. why is X subjunctive?) and the scansion in the verse comprehensions?
    I love scansion, it is amazing. Grammar, apart from subjunctive, questions I can usually do. However, the subjunctive kills me, I have no idea what it's for at all.

My class (myself included) really like the "how does caesar/ovid make this section vivid" questions because we are really good at clutching at straws that usually turn out to be alright.

I know what you mean about the learning word for word annoyance though, I can't do the literature questions without knowing the latin word for word.

ReputationRep:
    I love scansion, it is amazing. Grammar, apart from subjunctive, questions I can usually do. However, the subjunctive kills me, I have no idea what it's for at all.

My class (myself included) really like the "how does caesar/ovid make this section vivid" questions because we are really good at clutching at straws that usually turn out to be alright.

I know what you mean about the learning word for word annoyance though, I can't do the literature questions without knowing the latin word for word.
    Same here, I totally agree.

There is just something about the subjunctive which I can't quite understand and trying to learn all its uses (of which there would be so many) makes my head feel like its going to explode.

Yeah those questions are good ones, lets just hope the real exam is somewhat like that. Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Same here, I totally agree.

There is just something about the subjunctive which I can't quite understand and trying to learn all its uses (of which there would be so many) makes my head feel like its going to explode.

Yeah those questions are good ones, lets just hope the real exam is somewhat like that. Good luck!!!
    Thanks, you too! only like 5 weeks away now ><

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same way.

I've never experienced difficulty as much as learning Tacitus set text, foolsihboy.

Is there really anyway of summarising the whole of the set text, ch1-19 very simply? Because I'm having trouble piecing it together.

As far as I know:

Tacitus presents two sources about who first wanted to commit incest (Nero/Ag)
    Then he plans to kill her.
    Then something about inviting her to a banquet, putting the plan in motion etc.
    Then some geezers die on the boat, Acerronia pretends she's Ag. and dies.
    Ag also dies.

Then it's after this where I'm confused about what happens next...

+reps for any enlightenment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f0zz1)
    I feel the same way.

I've never experienced difficulty as much as learning Tacitus set text, foolsihboy.

Is there really anyway of summarising the whole of the set text, ch1-19 very simply? Because I'm having trouble piecing it together.

As far as I know:

Tacitus presents two sources about who first wanted to commit incest (Nero/Ag)
    Then he plans to kill her.
    Then something about inviting her to a banquet, putting the plan in motion etc.
    Then some geezers die on the boat, Acerronia pretends she's Ag. and dies.
    Ag also dies.

Then it's after this where I'm confused about what happens next...

+reps for any enlightenment
    I'm doing this from memory, but basically:

Nero gets cold feet about what he's done, so Seneca and Burrus orchestrate a lie about how Agrippina was killed (she sent a slave to kill Nero, supposedly failed so she takes her own life).
    He returns to Rome fully believing the lie and gives a poor funeral and little tribute to Agrippina. As emperor there are many omens of misfortune but they are largely ignored.
    Tacitus then goes on to describe Nero's unusual activites such as chariot-racing, acting etc.

It is a lot to remember, especially to write essays on parts of it, but hope that helps a bit.

ReputationRep:
    God it's horrible.

I basically go:
    Poppaea moans at N alot and shows how he's under A's thumb.
    N decides to kill her.
    N pretends to be nice and plans the ship.
    A gets on the ship, but gods dissaprove and the night is calm.
    Acc dies and Agg lives.
    A sends a slave, who N frames and then sends a group to kill A.
    A says "stab me in the stomach" and dies.
    N tries to undo the works of A by returning exiled people, etc.
    Senecca and Burrus cover for N whilst he is away, but basically make it obvious that N is guilty.
    There is lots of sichophancy towards N and he gets cocky.
    N drags people down with him to depraivity and everyone dissaproves.

I feel that that covers the bare essentials really. I can't translate the latin to save my life though.

ReputationRep:
    God it's horrible.

I feel that that covers the bare essentials really. I can't translate the latin to save my life though.
    I prefer to summarise under the general heading "nero was a t w a t" and add dashes of "the romans had much better political scandals than we do"... translating is an absolute nightmare though. We had really ihnterrupted teaching, so I've lost three out of five years of grammer - yr 10 with seven supplies who insisted at starting at the beginning each time, and so not covering ANYTHING new, yr 11 trying to cram the whole course in and so not properly learning any of it, and then yr 12 with a teacher who slept through the lessons and didn't go through the literature once. It has made this year somewhat stressful :mad:

The upside is that, whilst I can't translate for toffee (or, aparently, for a uni offer) I have discovered the ultimate trick to passing lit is to lie through your teeth and pretend that every little thing to do with spelling, meaning or placement is some deep and literary device known only to the minds of roman sadists - sorry - authors...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks CrazyYear, foolsihboy [+repped],

That helps a lot.

Then the hard part, learning and translating it :O

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.